2024 1st Round Pick (#22): Vance Honeycutt - OF - (Jr) North Carolina (NC)

59 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Ok, I see Thursday.  Let's just give Honeycutt slot.  Don't need to be too cute and not sign our 1st round pick.

He has no leverage.  He will sign, and likely for below slot slightly. 

19 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

There’s only one player left unsigned I think…round 17 lhp from cc. Salinas. 

I believe the Orioles could draft-and-follow him if he isn't signed by the deadline, right?

2 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I believe the Orioles could draft-and-follow him if he isn't signed by the deadline, right?

I believe that is correct. (referring to Salinas).  

13 hours ago, emmett16 said:

He has no leverage.  He will sign, and likely for below slot slightly. 

He has some leverage. He can go bang college chicks, collect NIL money, and not have to travel by bus next year in the South Atlantic league. 

We can spend up to 10% over our draft cap and just pay the penalty. Maybe Elias didn’t use all of his trade deadline budget that he set aside and reallocates it here? 

Penalties,

0-5% - no penalty

5% - 10% - 75% tax on overage 

10% - 15 %- 100% tax on overage, plus lose a 1st and 2nd rd pick next draft.

15%+ - 100% tax plus lose two 1st rd picks.

Edit - I think I want to go back to college.

Edited by sportsfan8703

49 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He has some leverage. He can go bang college chicks, collect NIL money, and not have to travel by bus next year in the South Atlantic league. 

We can spend up to 10% over our draft cap and just pay the penalty. Maybe Elias didn’t use all of his trade deadline budget that he set aside and reallocates it here? 

Penalties,

0-5% - no penalty

He also has the chance of getting injured or having a bad season and dropping his value markedly.

Turning down over three million bucks would be a bit dumb, in my estimation, but I know it's happened before.

Just now, clapdiddy said:

He also has the chance of getting injured or having a bad season and dropping his value markedly.

Turning down over three million bucks would be a bit dumb, in my estimation, but I know it's happened before.

Even if his season improves slightly he'll have no leverage as a Senior.  If a team picks him 15th next year what is he going to do if they offer him 2M?

Go to graduate school?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Even if his season improves slightly he'll have no leverage as a Senior.  If a team picks him 15th next year what is he going to do if they offer him 2M?

Go to graduate school?

I hear they have a great baseball program in grad school, but it's a little different....

23 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Go to graduate school?

I think he'd be crazy not to sign, but he could also have it in mind that he could stay and be picked ~5th next year. He was on many top-10 lists prior to a somewhat disappointing season at UNC.  

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Penalties,

0-5% - no penalty

Less money now and also pushes his future earnings back a year as well.  It would pretty stupid if he didn't sign.  

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Penalties,

0-5% - no penalty

I'm sure his agent would be disappointed in him deciding to bang college chicks for another year.

• Haha 1