2024 2nd Round Pick (#61): Ethan Anderson - C - (Jr) Virginia (VA)

Just now, Malike said:

This whole draft is pretty poor in talent overall. Honeycut was the most polarizing player in the draft, the risk is real, and the reward would be unreal. We'll see how it works out.

Not a lot of upside with the other two picks if Honeycutt misses though. At least last year you had some upside and people who thought Mac horvath had some helium as a breakout candidate going into 2024. And beavers / Wagner as projects with upside and the Fabian pick. Neither griff nor Ethan Anderson seem like they have upside.  I’m especially worried if Anderson can’t stick behind the plate. He bat is his carrying tool, but don’t know if it plays at 1st. 

Just now, Malike said:

This whole draft is pretty poor in talent overall. Honeycut was the most polarizing player in the draft, the risk is real, and the reward would be unreal. We'll see how it works out.

It is certainly weaker than the last few. I do think there are still some interesting high school arms like Dax Whitney, Johnny King, and Noah Franco, but I think that’s too risky for Elias.

Just now, Sydnor said:

It is certainly weaker than the last few. I do think there are still some interesting high school arms like Dax Whitney, Johnny King, and Noah Franco, but I think that’s too risky for Elias.

I'm hoping the comp/and 2nd round pick are underslot so they can spend later in the draft on arms.

It is very hard for me to ignore my bias towards pitching and just trust the Orioles on this. I do not like this strategy though. That comes with me admitting that I don’t know much about any of these players. I just want arms in volume.

8 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'm hoping the comp/and 2nd round pick are underslot so they can spend later in the draft on arms.

I hope you’re right, but I don’t think O’Ferrall will be under. Anderson might be, but I don’t know how much they’ll save. They can always do the senior sign thing, but I can’t recall Elias doing that because they have mostly stuck to college juniors.

4 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

It is very hard for me to ignore my bias towards pitching and just trust the Orioles on this. I do not like this strategy though. That comes with me admitting that I don’t know much about any of these players. I just want arms in volume.

There is zero wrong with questioning the philosophy.

12 minutes ago, Malike said:

It feels like we have been saying this a lot the last few years and it never happens.

Far more likely we add some college OFers instead.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It feels like we have been saying this a lot the last few years and it never happens.

Far more likely we add some college OFers instead.

We occasional go a bit over for a redshirt sophomore (or creed willems one year). Otherwise you’re right. Lots and lots of college juniors. 

edit: not redshirt. Draft eligible. 

Edited by OsFanInOhio