Orioles Pitching Strategy compared to competition

casadeozo

Obviously much has been made of the orioles dire need to add pitching at the deadline as well as our lack of depth in the minor leagues.

Add to that we had another draft last night without drafting a pitcher in the first two rounds. This clearly is an organization strategy. 

This got me to thinking, who are our peers around the league utilizing a similar strategy?

Elias’ former employer the Houston Astros seem to continue to find gems when their pitching injuries pile up (Ronel Blanco, Hunter brown) Even Arrighetti has been solid.

In addition, the Dodgers and Rays are two well run organizations who have also been decimated by pitching injuries but have been able to stay competitive due to lots of depth in their system.

Has this strategy been used successfully before?

I was really hoping they picked Brecht so it kind of hurts when he was still there at #32. Pretty clear a pre-determined draft strategy was in play. They are doubling down on up-the-middle players early in the draft.

8 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I was really hoping they picked Brecht so it kind of hurts when he was still there at #32. Pretty clear a pre-determined draft strategy was in play. They are doubling down on up-the-middle players early in the draft.

Perhaps the idea is to create so much depth of college hitters you can trade that depth for pitching but that’s really hasn’t been seen at least as of yet.

Just now, casadeozo said:

Perhaps the idea is to create so much depth of college hitters you can trade that depth for pitching but that’s really hasn’t been seen at least as of yet.

Not only have we not seen this, but teams want minor league arms for arms. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

We've seen it a bit. Hernaiz for Irvin, and Ortiz/Hall for Burnes were both moves to acquire big league pitching help from the stockpile of hitting prospects. 

Another move or two in the same vein may be coming this month. If not, I'll be pretty confused. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

That seems like the plan. Elias did also get Povich, McDermott and Seth Johnson  (and a few other arms) through trades, those guys just haven't made an impact yet.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

The problem I’m having is we seem to have a considerable drop off in talent after Norby in our “loaded system”. Theyve obviously been unable to get value for the surplus of Norby, Stowers, and the gaggle of big league talent that prevents deserved call ups. 

2 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

The problem I’m having is we seem to have a considerable drop off in talent after Norby in our “loaded system”. Theyve obviously been unable to get value for the surplus of Norby, Stowers, and the gaggle of big league talent that prevents deserved call ups. 

Maybe this year will be the deadline that Norby and Stowers get "The Call" and are dealt. I'm sure their hoping for it. Though I've seen other posters mention they are more valuable to us in a depth role starting next year.

It’s definitely a little concerning none of our starters (or even high level prospects) were drafted by Elias. They were either here when his regime got here, or we traded for them. Eventually we have to draft and develop pitchers of our own. Part of that is obviously that we really haven’t drafted many pitchers.

17 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Maybe this year will be the deadline that Norby and Stowers get "The Call" and are dealt. I'm sure their hoping for it. Though I've seen other posters mention they are more valuable to us in a depth role starting next year.

I hear you …but these guys need to play…not “depth roles”.

49 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

I think the years of control are more valuable than a relief pitcher unless he is elite (I don't think any of those are available) or has at least two more years beyond this year of control. 

42 minutes ago, G54377 said:

It’s definitely a little concerning none of our starters (or even high level prospects) were drafted by Elias. They were either here when his regime got here, or we traded for them. Eventually we have to draft and develop pitchers of our own. Part of that is obviously that we really haven’t drafted many pitchers.

Concerning, yes. But I wouldn't say we have to develop our own. We have a below average payroll and plenty of surplus talent we can use to fill holes. I have to say, Elias does seem to be somewhat of an extremist in the "grow the bats, buy the arms" strategy. 

1 hour ago, G54377 said:

That’s not concerning at all. Burnes, Bradish, Suarez all acquired by Elias. Tyler Wells, Cade Povich as well.

The strategy can work. And there are some potential options in the minors: McDermott, Johnson.

Think Elias has done wonders at piecing together a bullpen.

I do think he needs to trade for a controllable starter, and Rubenstein needs to open that pocket book in the offseason.