2024 6th Round Pick (#189): DJ Layton - SS - (HS) Charlotte Christian HS (NC)

1 hour ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

College juniors normally have savings. If you look at last year some players like Jacob Gonzalez and Kyle Teel were taken slot and saved 500-700k. The negotiations are done before the draft even starts. I believe that could have factored into EBJ falling last year. Brock Wilken saved the Brewers 800K as a Junior.

Not sure I follow your “normally have savings” comment. The most players drafted across the entire draft are college juniors. By your logic, more than half of players drafted “normally” sign for less than slot. I don’t think that is accurate. Yes, in the first round wilken and Gonzalez and teel had savings, along with others, but that’s part of the under slot strategy. Tons of other college juniors didn’t take under slot (Langford, dolander, schanuel despite being over drafted, Shaw, Taylor…).

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Layton, "It's been a dream of mine since I was a kid to play professional baseball," he said in a statement. "My family and I thought the opportunity was more than amazing and something we thought I couldn't pass on. The blessing that I have been given to have the type of talent to not only have the opportunity to play college baseball, but to also become a part of the very small population of athletes to say they play a professional sport, makes it all the more reason to take advantage of the opportunity that I have in front of me. I am well aware of the future struggles that will come with playing baseball at the professional level and, to say the least, I am excited and ALL IN for those future struggles!"

Sounds like he has basically signed.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Layton, "It's been a dream of mine since I was a kid to play professional baseball," he said in a statement. "My family and I thought the opportunity was more than amazing and something we thought I couldn't pass on. The blessing that I have been given to have the type of talent to not only have the opportunity to play college baseball, but to also become a part of the very small population of athletes to say they play a professional sport, makes it all the more reason to take advantage of the opportunity that I have in front of me. I am well aware of the future struggles that will come with playing baseball at the professional level and, to say the least, I am excited and ALL IN for those future struggles!"

Sounds like he has basically signed.

Yea, it’s either done and we don’t have the details or it’s been verbally agreed on and he is signing the contract any day now.  

30 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yea, it’s either done and we don’t have the details or it’s been verbally agreed on and he is signing the contract any day now.  

They typically try to keep some of these signing bonuses quiet as they try and sign the other players. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

Quite a bit higher than the previous tweet suggested. Hopefully still enough left to chase Tess and George 

Looks like the previous tweet was mixed up and listed the amount over slot, rather than the bonus amount.  720-318.3=401.7.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Number5 said:

Looks like the previous tweet was mixed up and listed the amount over slot, rather than the bonus amount.  720-318.3=401.7.

Gotcha. That leaves closer to 600k or so to go sign the remaining 3 hs/cc guys unless we get more savings from Vance (which is definitely possible, but who knows).