Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

3 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

How much does Skubal increase our odds of winning the world series compared to the next best option? At best, considering it's arguable how much one starting pitcher can increase your odds in the playoffs at all, we're talking about marginal gains. Perhaps his biggest potential differentiator between him and the next best option would be the increase in chances he would represent for us finishing 1st in the east and avoiding the first round series. 

Again, I simply do not see an argument for the difference between Skubal and the next best option being worth the difference between Mayo and a package of our next best prospects. When you break it down rationally a Jack Flaherty type play or slightly better, like last season, is probably the best. Indeed, Jack Flaherty, if there weren't potentially the idea that he didn't fit in well with our clubhouse, might be a very good target himself. 

But you don't just get Skubal for the remainder of this season.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But you don't just get Skubal for the remainder of this season.

I know, but I prefer Mayo + prospects over his cost controlled years to Skubal over his remaining cost controlled years.  I like a team of Mayo + what our prospects after him can fetch* to Skubal and no Mayo, basically. 

*forgive me, I hate these hypothetical trade threads so I really have no idea who would that be. The only name I know is Flaherty, who for example I'd certainly prefer to trade a Bradfield + for 2-3 months of him, than giving up Mayo. I trust in Elias and co. to find intelligent ways to improve our staff for next season without giving up our top, top assets, as they did with Burnes. 

54 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Glad to have you correct my grammar and spelling now and in the future.  But I must warn you its a full time job.

Normally I don't give a crap about other people's grammar or spelling but names are different.  New minority owner Cal Ripkin would be appalled at such disregard toward his partner don't you think?

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

There’s so much wrong with this statement.  Kimbrel was not a “bold” move.  Burnes was semi bold in that it wasn’t a package that hurt a lot to give up.   Most people, including myself, would have to laugh at the first sentence.

Pretty bold to sign Kimbrel.   When is the last time the O's spent 13m on a FA reliever?  We have not seen it from Elias is 5 years prior to Kimbrel.

It needed to be done and he did it.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Pretty bold to sign Kimbrel.   When is the last time the O's spent 13m on a FA reliever?  We have not seen it from Elias is 5 years prior to Kimbrel.

When were the orioles competitive under Elias to need a 13m reliever?

17 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Normally I don't give a crap about other people's grammar or spelling but names are different.  New minority owner Cal Ripkin would be appalled at such disregard toward his partner don't you think?

It was a typo.  I know how to spell Rubenstein.   A serious doubt that Cal cares about spelling on a message board.   I hope his life is fuller than that.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

No.

Signing Kimbrel was the safest CYA move a GM of a contending team that needed a closer could make.

Let's sign the past his prime former elite closer that has been bouncing around from team to team.  That ain't bold.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No.

Signing Kimbrel was the safest CYA move a GM of a contending team that needed a closer could make.

Let's sign the past his prime former elite closer that has been bouncing around from team to team.  That ain't bold.

Bolder than we have seen from Elias in 5 years.  Kimbrel and Burnes.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don’t think I’d call either move bold.  Everyone knew we needed to upgrade the rotation and find a patch for Bautista.  

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Honestly I'd say trading Mancini and Lopez when the team was still technically in the WC race was a bolder move.  To stand fast and sell in that situation, that takes some chutzpah.

21 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No.

Not exactly bold.  But many weren't sure was worth the contract given some notorious meltdowns.  Not bold but on brand with effective and necessary.  

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think I’d call either move bold.  Everyone knew we needed to upgrade the rotation and find a patch for Bautista.  

I guess that is where we differ.   Just because it needed to be done does not mean it gets done.   Elias changed his M.O.

Just now, wildcard said:

I guess that is where we differ.   Just because it needed to be done does not mean it gets done.   Elias changed his M.O.

We probably just differ on how we interpret the term “bold.”  To me that term entails taking a significant risk.   I don’t consider those moves very risky.