Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

12 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Trading top teir (young young young) MLB prospects for a pitcher in who has only gone over 119 Innings once in his 4 years when he has exceeded that this already season is a recipe for disaster. The moment he gets traded, something will happen that slows him down.

You get desperate and you make bad decisions.

Even if Skubal was a reigning Cy Young winner that you can feel confident about, he only affects one half game (5 innings) every 5 days. He will have no affect on the outcome of the remaining 4 game out of 5.

He is not worth selling the farm for. That it just desperate.

That's one take for sure, but you sometimes have to take on risk for young controllable Ace.

It's not desperation in the least bit though. It's called trading from your strength for your weakness. Besides, no one is claiming to "trade the farm" for him. Will it take one of the Big-3 to pry him away most likely, probably, but the Orioles have no impact pitching prospects currently and they need a young, controllable starter for not only this year, but the next two after.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Trying to reconcile this with "the Orioles won't discuss their top 3 prospects". 

The way to reconcile this is that Morosi is a hack and loves to tweet non-substantive (or entirely non-substantiated, e.g. Ohtani’s plane to Toronto) “rumors” with big names to farm engagement.

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

The way to reconcile this is that Morosi is a hack and loves to tweet non-substantive (or entirely non-substantiated, e.g. Ohtani’s plane to Toronto) “rumors” with big names to farm engagement.

He owned up to that mistake. I don't view Morosi as a hack - in fact I thought he was one of the better ones. But maybe I'm wrong on that? Either way, I think fans would have to believe Roch over Morosi right now. 

Just now, Sports Guy said:

The Os want to lead a deal with Kjerstad 

Pretty much what it sounds like based on Roch's blurb. I'm in favor. In terms of this year only, Stowers probably gives you anything Kjerstad would (plus added defense). Down the road, Kjerstad is probably the better hitter. 

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

Pretty much what it sounds like based on Roch's blurb. I'm in favor. In terms of this year only, Stowers probably gives you anything Kjerstad would (plus added defense). Down the road, Kjerstad is probably the better hitter. 

If Ced stays there really is no role for Kjerstad, especially if they're skittish about playing him in LF at home.  Maybe DH if Mountcastle goes and O'Hearn plays 1B but that (DH) could be Mayo too.

I just don't believe a Kjerstad deal gets it done.  If you were the Tigers would you accept Kjerstad,  Bradfield,  Norby, Povich +?

I don't see it.  

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

If Ced stays there really is no role for Kjerstad, especially if they're skittish about playing him in LF at home.  Maybe DH if Mountcastle goes and O'Hearn plays 1B but that (DH) could be Mayo too.

I just don't believe a Kjerstad deal gets it done.  If you were the Tigers would you accept Kjerstad,  Bradfield,  Norby, Povich +?

I don't see it.  

If I'm the Tigers I'm definitely holding out for Mayo or Basallo, for sure. So I definitely remain very skeptical that Skubal is a real possibility. 

Is there a pitcher where Kjerstad as the headliner makes more sense? Fedde? Maybe Snell talent-wise, but it's too much for an expensive rental with injury issues. Hard to picture a fit with any 1-year rentals. 

39 minutes ago, interloper said:

Trying to reconcile this with "the Orioles won't discuss their top 3 prospects". 

Elias doesn't want to trade any of the big 3.

Not many teams can beat an HK+ package.  But he's not a unicorn.

DET wants a unicorn+.

Will any teams offer a unicorn+?  Will Elias match and call?

8 minutes ago, interloper said:

If I'm the Tigers I'm definitely holding out for Mayo or Basallo, for sure. So I definitely remain very skeptical that Skubal is a real possibility. 

Is there a pitcher where Kjerstad as the headliner makes more sense? Fedde? Maybe Snell talent-wise, but it's too much for an expensive rental with injury issues. Hard to picture a fit with any 1-year rentals. 

If Elias tried to give up Kjerstad for Fedde, a guy who was in KBO last year, he should be fired on the spot. 

5 minutes ago, waroriole said:

If Elias tried to give up Kjerstad for Fedde, a guy who was in KBO last year, he should be fired on the spot. 

I mean that's what I'm saying. There's not a great fit other than Skubal, but it's probably not enough to get it done.

I think if there IS a fit, it's Miller. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

If I'm the Tigers I insist on either Holliday or Basallo as the first piece.  Too many defensive questions about Kjerstad and Mayo.