Trading for Tarik Skubal

Greg Pappas

As far as rumors go, I don’t think we can trust any player offers we see circulating. Unless a deal is imminent or we’re past the deadline, anything floating around is likely BS. 

As for Verducci’s article, I think there’s 2 possibilities for now:

1) It’s nothing more than All Star break fodder to get clicks. 
2) An offer was made and the Orioles and/or Dodgers are being used to drive up the price. (I suspect we will be connected to a lot of top deadline options because everyone knows we have the capital to outbid anyone)

I had forgotten about Josh Bell being in that Soto deal. Let’s say we make a godfather type offer for Skubal. For the purpose of this question, ignore the merits of such an offer. What additional players would you target as an add on from the Tigers in the manner that Bell was included in that deal?

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

Wow you sure are beating the injury drum hard. As I said, then you really don’t want him. You’re not stealing him! Holliday could go on to be a 5 time Allstar …but he also might be years down the road before he is ready to contribute. He was so bad early this spring that is was almost embarrassing.

He was actually great during spring training, then he had a really bad 34 ABs in MLB and people are concluding his career is doomed because a .900 OPS at AAA at 20 sucks after going back down.

That Soto trade didn’t exactly work out for SD either. Yes they made the playoffs and went to the LCS, but we’re already very likely to at least make it there.  Abrams is a budding star and Wood might be too (big numbers at AAA), Gore has done OK, to say nothing of the rest.

SD did recoup some of that by trading him to the MFY of course; it would take a deeper dive than I’m willing to take to figure out how that impacted the overall trade picture prospect wise.  But on the surface I would say SD would be better off had they not dumped their farm for Soto. 

7 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I had forgotten about Josh Bell being in that Soto deal. Let’s say we make a godfather type offer for Skubal. For the purpose of this question, ignore the merits of such an offer. What additional players would you target as an add on from the Tigers in the manner that Bell was included in that deal?

Riley Greene. ;)

1 minute ago, Fiver6565 said:

That Soto trade didn’t exactly work out for SD either. Yes they made the playoffs and went to the LCS, but we’re already very likely to at least make it there.  Abrams is a budding star and Wood might be too (big numbers at AAA), Gore has done OK, to say nothing of the rest.

SD did recoup some of that by trading him to the MFY of course; it would take a deeper dive than I’m willing to take to figure out how that impacted the overall trade picture prospect wise.  But on the surface I would say SD would be better off had they not dumped their farm for Soto. 

They would have, but the owner was terminally ill and wanted a winner I read on here, so to that extent it makes some sense they pushed all the chips in to try to get a WS title for him.

1 minute ago, Malike said:

Makes much more sense to dump the farm on a generational hitter vs a guy who plays once a week.

This. Soto was coming off a 7 WAR season as a 22 year old, his 3rd superstar level season in a row. Skubal’s great but he has injury concerns and pretty much 1 full season of ace level performance. 

Fangraphs had Abrams as a 60 FV and the other 3 as 50 FV’s at the time of the trade. That would be roughly equivalent to Basallo (60 FV), Povich (50 FV), Kjerstad (55 FV), and Bradfield (45+ FV). Holliday is a 70 FV and Mayo is also 55 FV. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Fiver6565 said:

The Padres were going all in trying to win a World Series for their ailing owner. Elias is trying to build sustained success there isn’t a mandate to absolutely win a championship this year or next. 

The Orioles aren’t trading four top prospects for a player who pitches every five days with a career high of 149 innings pitched in a season. 

10 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

If they feel like Coulombe is a longshot to return, Andrew Chafin would be a decent option as a lefty reliever. Long history of being tough on hitters from both sides of the plate, really. 

Other than that, really not sure. Aside from their young starters and Riley Greene, their roster is pretty much cheeks. I’m pretty sure somebody will trade for Jack Flaherty — but I’m also pretty sure that somebody won’t be us.

13 minutes ago, Malike said:

Makes much more sense to dump the farm on a generational hitter vs a guy who plays once a week.

It’s absurd to compare to Soto. When he was traded, Soto was 23 years old and coming off a 7 WAR season as a 22 year old. He had literally never been on the IL in his career. 

I don’t even think Skubal has half the trade value that Soto had when he was dealt. 

• Upvote 1