Would you trade Fabian for Kikuchi?

Would you trade Fabian for Kikuchi?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Fabian for Kikuchi?

• Yes
    • No

10 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t think he’s a lateral move. We currently have a rotation that includes Suarez and McDermott/Povich. Kikuchi is clearly better than McDermott/Povich the rest of the year. He’s also insurance for how much can Suarez hold up for?

Kikuchi is not the Bradish replacement. He’s a #3/4 on a playoff team. 

We need two SP to have a chance to win the division and a playoff series. Kikuchi is fine as the lesser half of the two SP puzzle pieces. 

Just curious, who would you bump from the roster to make room for these two pitchers? Presumably we are also adding at least one reliver. 

I am not ready to give up on Suarez. If he moves to the pen, we would need to get rid of three bullpen guys. We can option Burch and Baker, then it gets tight. Do you want to lose Nittoli, Cionel, or Irvin, all of whom are out of options? What about when Coulombe comes back? 

25 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

Yeah, there's some risk. I'd prefer a better pitcher, but I think Jud Fabian is going to have hardly any MLB value and like I pointed out, there's some reason to believe Kikuchi will pitch better than he has this year. Walltimore probably helps him, too.

I’m just saying, relying on a decent number for half a year of a voodoo stat over his career numbers is insane. 

I'm okay with this trade, but only if they bring in a True #3 along with Kikuchi. Our bullpen is what scares me. I do think McDermott should be in our pen now. As much as Bryan Baker frustrates me, I feel he could be salvageable. Everyone else besides Kimbrell is essentially Mike Baumann at this point.

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Just curious, who would you bump from the roster to make room for these two pitchers? Presumably we are also adding at least one reliver. 

I am not ready to give up on Suarez. If he moves to the pen, we would need to get rid of three bullpen guys. We can option Burch and Baker, then it gets tight. Do you want to lose Nittoli, Cionel, or Irvin, all of whom are out of options? What about when Coulombe comes back? 

Baker and McDermott right now are pretty easy options. As you said, Smith has an option. They also don’t need both of Suarez and Irvin in the pen. Coulombe is not going to be back until September most likely anyways when they’ll get an extra roster spot for a pitcher. 

If they add 2 starters and 1 reliever, they can go:

Burnes, Rodriguez, Trade 1, Trade 2, Kremer

Kimbrel, Trade, Cano, Webb, Perez, Akin, Smith/Nittoli, Irvin/Suarez

Smith and Nittoli signed minor league deals in the last 2 months. They’ve been good but you don’t hesitate to get rid of them for a real backend guy if it comes down to it. There will be plenty of guys like them available in the offseason.

And Irvin/Suarez are redundant right now. Irvin pitched his way out of the rotation and hasn’t been any better in the pen. Suarez is averaging less than 5 IP/start and has a 6.51 ERA in the last month plus. His stuff doesn’t play up in the pen either or at least didn’t earlier this season. Suarez can’t keep starting with the lack of length he’s giving (along with the lack of run prevention lately) and you don’t need 2 long men. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Just my opinion. But the minimum we should do if we’re trying to win the division is add Fedde, Kikuchi, and Scott. If we want to go for a WS, then it’s Skubal instead of Fedde. 

- Kikuchi for Fabian.

- Fedde for EBJ(if Skubal, add Holliday+)

- Scott for Horvath and Wagner

We’d come out of the deadline with,

SP - Burnes, Grayson, Fedde, Kikuchi, Kremer

RP - Kimbrel, Cano, Scott, Webb, Perez, Suarez, Irvin, Akin

Same position players as of today. In September, add Mayo and a P. 

Again, this is the minimum that I think we should do.m to win the AL East. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

Since I see Kikuchi as the second SP behind a bigger get like Crochet or Fedde anyway, I'd much rather use Fabian as part of a package to try to get Trevor Rogers from Miami (preferably packaged with Scott). I think Rogers has more upside and he has 2 years of control left after this year IIRC, so he could help with next year's shallow rotation picture as well. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Just my opinion. But the minimum we should do if we’re trying to win the division is add Fedde, Kikuchi, and Scott. If we want to go for a WS, then it’s Skubal instead of Fedde. 

- Kikuchi for Fabian.

- Fedde for EBJ(if Skubal, add Holliday+)

- Kikuchi for Fabian

We’d come out of the deadline with,

SP - Burnes, Grayson, Fedde, Kikuchi, Kremer

RP - Kimbrel, Cano, Scott, Webb, Perez, Suarez, Irvin, Akin

Same position players as of today. In September, add Mayo and a P. 

Again, this is the minimum that I think we should do.m to win the AL East. 

I could be wrong but I don’t think EBJ alone gets you Fedde.  I think you’re halfway there.

I would make the trade.  Kikuchi is a big upgrade on whoever the O's will put in the #5 slot.  I don't have any trust in Povich, McDermott, or Irvin.  Kikiuchi should at least be able to go 5 or 6 IP and keep us in games.  Not sure Kikuchi is an upgrade on Kremer for the playoffs.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I could be wrong but I don’t think EBJ alone gets you Fedde.  I think you’re halfway there.

Probably. But this fills our needs at a minimum, in my eyes. We get to keep the big 3. If we’re going to contend year in/year out, we have to start spending FA money on pitching. Because after this deadline if these deals go down our system would be the big 3, the guys we just drafted, Etzel, and a bunch of guys in A ball. Stowers and Norby remain to replace Hays and Santa next year. 

Just my two cents. This gives us a chance to win the division and playoff series. A possible ALDS rematch versus the Rangers looms. 

Game 1 - Burnes vs Eovaldi

Game 2 - Grayson vs Heaney

Game 3 - Fedde vs Scherzer

Game 4 - Kikuchi vs Lorenzen/Gray/Degrom/Dunning

Game 5 - Burnes vs Eovaldi

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Probably. But this fills our needs at a minimum, in my eyes. We get to keep the big 3. If we’re going to contend year in/year out, we have to start spending FA money on pitching. Because after this deadline if these deals go down our system would be the big 3, the guys we just drafted, Etzel, and a bunch of guys in A ball. Stowers and Norby remain to replace Hays and Santa next year. 

Just my two cents. This gives us a chance to win the division and playoff series. A possible ALDS rematch versus the Rangers looms. 

Yeah, I’ve been touting Fedde and Scott for weeks.

• Upvote 1

Kikuchi is a marginal move. Number 5 starter. He’s no better than Kremer. If this is the only move I say no. As Kikuchi doesn’t solve the issue of helping us in the postseason. And a Kikuchi/Kremer/Suarez back three of the rotation is no great shakes and is only a slight improvement from where we are no.

However, if Kikuchi is a secondary move, I would say that’s fine. As long as you get a real #2/3 starter.

15 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Baker and McDermott right now are pretty easy options. As you said, Smith has an option. They also don’t need both of Suarez and Irvin in the pen. Coulombe is not going to be back until September most likely anyways when they’ll get an extra roster spot for a pitcher. 

If they add 2 starters and 1 reliever, they can go:

Burnes, Rodriguez, Trade 1, Trade 2, Kremer

Kimbrel, Trade, Cano, Webb, Perez, Akin, Smith/Nittoli, Irvin/Suarez

Smith and Nittoli signed minor league deals in the last 2 months. They’ve been good but you don’t hesitate to get rid of them for a real backend guy if it comes down to it. There will be plenty of guys like them available in the offseason.

And Irvin/Suarez are redundant right now. Irvin pitched his way out of the rotation and hasn’t been any better in the pen. Suarez is averaging less than 5 IP/start and has a 6.51 ERA in the last month plus. His stuff doesn’t play up in the pen either or at least didn’t earlier this season. Suarez can’t keep starting with the lack of length he’s giving (along with the lack of run prevention lately) and you don’t need 2 long men. 

I agree Irvin/Suarez are redundant but they are both out of options. They have both shown enough upside that it would suck to lose either of them or we will find ourselves in the same situation next year. And this is without Coulombe getting back in the mix. He would push out Perez. I don't know, I'm more inclined to go for quality over quantity so we're not losing guys who can help us, now and in the future.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Kikuchi is a marginal move. Number 5 starter. He’s no better than Kremer. If this is the only move I say no. As Kikuchi doesn’t solve the issue of helping us in the postseason. And a Kikuchi/Kremer/Suarez back three of the rotation is no great shakes and is only a slight improvement from where we are no.

However, if Kikuchi is a secondary move, I would say that’s fine. As long as you get a real #2/3 starter.

He has a 4.13 ERA and 4.8 WAR the last 2 years with more promising peripherals. Kremer has a 4.21 ERA the last 2 years with peripherals suggesting he’s more of a 4.50 ERA guy. I’d say he’s a pretty big upgrade but agree I would like someone better than him if they are just getting one starter. The wall would probably help him out a bit as well.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Game 1 - Burnes vs Eovaldi

Game 2 - Grayson vs Heaney

Game 3 - Fedde vs Scherzer

Game 4 - Kikuchi vs Lorenzen/Gray/Degrom/Dunning

Game 5 - Burnes vs Eovaldi

What wait?

Texas is 5 games out of the wild card. How did they get to skip all the way to the ALDS as our impending matchup?

Texas is not that good and I don’t think we need to try to worry about matching up against weaker/inferior opponents based on last season’s results/teams IMO.

There are several AL opponents that are better than Texas. Including 2 in our division, 3 in AL Central, and 2 in the AL West.