Interested in Jameson Taillon ?

Aglets

I saw a tweet saying we were among a bunch of teams interested in trading for Taillon.

He has been around awhile.   Currently with the Cubs.  

Jameson Taillon Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Rookie Status & More | Baseball-Reference.com

ERA under 3 is fantastic.   WHIP is decent.   He is 32 years old though, and under contract through 2026.   18M a year (so less than 9M due to him this year)

Are you interested?   What would the asking price be from the Cubs?

I think the size of the contract might mean we don't have to include guys from our top 3.

It wouldn't be a thrilling acquisition, but it would be better than our Flaherty trade from last year and he would no doubt help right now. He's better than Dean Kremer and helps solidify things next year. 

We can and should do better though. 

I know that @Sports Guy would probably hate it.

But IMO we need 2 SPs. With Taillon’s salary being what it is, we may be able to get him without surrending much via high end prospects as this would be more of a salary dump/transfer. Because of our extremely low payroll, we should be able to do something like this. And then make the bigger move for a #2/3 pitcher.

Taillon as a #4 is a good thing to me.

We can afford to carry one of Kremer/Suarez/Povich/McDermott as a 5th starter. But not all 3. We have been in essence giving away every other series for over a month (since Bradish’s injury) due to not having enough SP talent in the rotation. I don’t care what the offense is doing (like yesterday 6 runs weren’t enough), it’s hard to win with a pitching staff surrendering 5.5+ runs per game.

• Upvote 2

Absolutely if he doesn’t cost a lot of prospects. We need some back end starters and controlled pitchers for next year and he should be able to come in and eat innings. He just can’t be the only addition since we don’t really want him starting game 3 of a playoff series. 

Reporting on Taillon has smelled funny. Initial reports were Yankees/Red Sox, then Orioles added, then Astros added. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure any team in contention would take him but considering no starters have been dealt yet, this reporting is either “yeah, no shit” type news or the Cubs are really trying to scare a club into upping their offer. 

• Upvote 1

As long as we also got 2 good RPs like Scott and Estevez, I would be pretty satisfied if ended up with Taillon (especially if the Cubs eat a bit of money, say $5-7 million per year) and Trevor Rogers from Miami as our deadline rotation additions.

That would be 2 more solid arms for the rotation mix with 2 years of control each, and 2 good bullpen guys for this year's playoff run, all without having to deal any of Holliday, Mayo, Kjerstad, and Basallo. 

Interesting guy. Is he out-performing his peripherals?

78 Ks in 100.1 IP. Whiff% and K% are on the lowish side. Doesn't walk many guys. 

Throws six different pitches (4SFB, Sinker, sweeper, cutter, CB and CU). has always thrown his sinker harder than his 4SFB but average velo on both is down from last year. 

The money might make him appealing as it will not take much in prospect capital if the O's assume a large % of contract.

At some point Mike Elias will break ice on a multi-year commitment to a pitcher, but I'd guess Taillon is an underdog to be that guy.

The Kyle Gibson, Chris Bassitt, Jameson Taillon winter, Gibson took 1 year, Bassitt took a high AAV, and Taillon took a lot of years.

Taillon guaranteed $18M in 2026.    Today Elias has Grayson, Bradish, Kremer, Povich, McDermott, and even the Bright/Baumeister kind of guys as options for the year after next.    I don't know Tyler Wells or Cole Irvin by heart, but maybe them too.

Before the trade deadline, a club can do stuff like have Irvin, Suarez, Kremer, Povich and Means to start 51 of their 102 games.

I think Elias needs to give his clubhouse a clearer answer than Taillon on the question of "Is this guy better than Dean Kremer in Game 3?", or else he should skew bullpen.    I am pretty sure Dean Kremer is generally popular with the group.