Austin Hays Appreciation Thread

NashLumber

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is it very christian to tell folks what should or should not offend them?

This is a forum:

https://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/

Do you think it's entirely acceptable and non controversial to express Christian beliefs there?

Just don't.  It's easy, just don't press your beliefs on others.  Don't just assume they don't mind.

I think the problem lies in people just thinking for other people without actually knowing what offends them. I have a gay sister, the brother I never had, huge baseball fan and my best friend. She's a Christian and goes to a church that loves everyone. So the confusing part to me is why people say Christians hate gay people. I mean, I don't care who does what or believes what, I'm not the justice department for anyone but myself.

• Upvote 4

I had no idea about the pride night thing. If it was the "Armor of God" that he posted, then that's pretty... terrible. Live and let live, and keep your religion to yourself.

That said, I'll miss Hays.  Dude was a grinder and showed some intensity and swagger back when the team was a dumpster fire. Watching another (i.e. Manny) Oriole go from young & cocky to a seasoned, mature veteran is making me feel old though.  Good luck Austin - I wish you well.  Except if it's a BAL/PHI WS. 

1 minute ago, HowAboutThat said:

I don’t know whether that is a particular meme or not, but there’s certainly nothing wrong with the verse.

Why would that verse be a meme? You said you didn't know what he posted and I answered he posted The Armor of God verse.

I always liked Hays a lot. How many other hitters opt out of wearing batting gloves? Oddly that was my favorite thing about him. Good defender, I seem to recall some good throws to get a runner. 

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Is it very christian to tell folks what should or should not offend them?

This is a forum:

https://www.reddit.com/r/atheism/

Do you think it's entirely acceptable and non controversial to express Christian beliefs there?

Just don't.  It's easy, just don't press your beliefs on others.  Don't just assume they don't mind.

I think you are conflating expressing a belief with being antagonistic. I’m a Christian. I think everybody should be a Christian because that’s the nature of Christianity, but if you’re not, I don’t care. If you’re an atheist, you don’t believe what I believe and that’s fine. I’m not going to be offended if you tell me you don’t believe, and it is ridiculous to tell me I can’t express my belief because I might offend people. I’ve never said anything offensive, unless you think this comment is itself offensive, and I have no interest in senseless argument, because that never solves anything.

Your example doesn’t have anything to do with what we are discussing. Austin made a public statement about what he believe and that’s fine. He wasn’t looking for argument and it’s ridiculous to assume that he was. I’m happy to discuss this privately if you wish, but, I really don’t want to continue it here.

I would much rather talk about baseball.

• Upvote 1

I think you are conflating expressing a belief with being antagonistic. I’m a Christian. I think everybody should be a Christian because that’s the nature of Christianity, but if you’re not, I don’t care. If you’re an atheist, you don’t believe what I believe and that’s fine. I’m not going to be offended if you tell me you don’t believe, and it is ridiculous to tell me I can’t express my belief because I might offend people. I’ve never said anything offensive, unless you think this comment is itself offensive, and I have no interest in senseless argument, because that never solves anything.

Your example doesn’t have anything to do with what we are discussing. Austin made a public statement about what he believe and that’s fine. He wasn’t looking for argument and it’s ridiculous to assume that he was. I’m happy to discuss this privately if you wish, but, I really don’t want to continue it here.

I would much rather talk about baseball.

I didn't say you can't.

But you shouldn't just assume you won't offend someone if you do.

And my example was on point.  You said "any forum".

Yeah like I said, there’s nothing controversial about the verse itself so I was wondering if it had been turned into something inflammatory.

I’m wearing a t-Shirt right now that says,”put on the whole armor of God,” and I can’t imagine why anyone would take umbrage at that.

No, it was just that verse on his instagram. There was no meme, just outrage I guess. I don't know. I don't do social media like that I had to google it to find out what he posted.

40 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

I am perpetually amazed that people are not allowed to acknowledge the things that shape who they are. God bless Austin for doing so, and God bless those who respect that.

What ballplayer, announcer or media person, or anyone else employed by an MLB team has been disallowed from saying whatever he wants on these sorts of subjects, or punished for speaking out? Nobody that I'm aware of. I'm not suggesting that anyone should be silenced.

My point is that, as someone who has followed, watched, enjoyed, been entertained by, read about and studied aspects of baseball for over six decades, I don't find it enhances my appreciation for, interest in, or understanding of the game to hear players preach aspects of their religious faith over and over again. Quite the opposite.

As the flap over Pride Day illustrates and Hays' Tweet illustrates, statements like this are potentially divisive among fans, even when that's not intended, and for me they detract from the wonderful things about following baseball and rooting for a team. It would be nice if MLB players understood that and if that understanding affected what they said, but I have no illusion that will happen. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I didn't say you can't.

But you shouldn't just assume you won't offend someone if you do.

And my example was on point.  You said "any forum".

He made his comment publicly. That’s not on any forum.

And it is foolish to take offense where none is intended. It’s like being offended when your friend tells you he’s a Democrat and you’re a Republican. 

But again, I’m happy to discuss this privately if you feel there’s reason to, but would much prefer to focus on baseball.

It’s not someone’s responsibility to dampen their religious beliefs in deference to others sensitivities. Just as it’s not the team’s responsibility to withhold a pride night in deference to Hays’ religion. 

If you want to reply to Hays post with “GFY”…. go nuts. But this pearl clutching over the “armor of God” is silly.

Be offended. Get over it.

• Thanks 1

I understand this is a business, but this is like losing a member of the family.  Hays was a great Oriole and is a fun player to watch.   I really like the story behind his not wearing batting gloves.  He's a blue collar worker and plays hard.   All the best to him.  He will be missed - at least by me. 

• Upvote 2