Organizational Turmoil?

Roll Tide

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think there is something to it with Hays, Mullins, and Santander close to FA and knowing they’re not getting extensions. Burnes knew that coming here. Gunnar and Adley see that the big “Witt” deal hasn’t come their way. Oh and the trade deadline is going on. 

How could this not hurt our team chemistry?

I think the answer now is to trade Mullins, Mountcastle, and Urias. Call up Holliday and Mayo. Turn the team over to the young guys, possibly take our lumps, and hope a new clubhouse dynamic rallies for a playoff run. 

Unfortunately, I think we’re going to look back at this year and realize that this was a transition year. 

We can do all of that and it may improve team chemistry. But we we have a problem bigger than that that has reared it's ugly head for over a month now and that is how we can get Major League hitters out consistently at even a league average level. Our pitching staff has been amongst the worst in MLB since the Bradish injury.

Eflin is a step in the right direction. But we need more. You can't continue to give up close to 6 runs a game and think you are going to win consistently.

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

We can do all of that and it may improve team chemistry. But we we have a problem bigger than that that has reared it's ugly head for over a month now and that is how we can get Major League hitters out consistently at even a league average level. Our pitching staff has been amongst the worst in MLB since the Bradish injury.

Eflin is a step in the right direction. But we need more. You can't continue to give up close to 6 runs a game and think you are going to win consistently.

Unfortunately, it’s not just our pitching. Our offense has been terrible since the Yankees series.

Also, keep this in mind, the whole team is either directly involved in trade rumors, or could have their role affected by trades. Except for Gunnar, Adley, Burnes, and Santander. 

That’s a lot of unknown for our team. 8/1 needs to get here and then we need to rally with whoever is here. We’ll see. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

It sort of makes sense to sell Mountcastle, Mullins, and Urias. Call up Mayo, and Holliday. Mayo replaces Mountcastle. Holliday replaces Urias. 

We let our clubhouse officially get turned over to Adley and Gunnar. 

Then see what type of team we have. 

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Unfortunately, it’s not just our pitching. Our offense has been terrible since the Yankees series.

Also, keep this in mind, the whole team is either directly involved in trade rumors, or could have their role affected by trades. Except for Gunnar, Adley, Burnes, and Santander. 

That’s a lot of unknown for our team. 8/1 needs to get here and then we need to rally with whoever is here. We’ll see. 

Offense has been slumping for sure. But even if the offense was humming. Giving up close to 6 runs a game won't produce much winning regardless.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It sort of makes sense to sell Mountcastle, Mullins, and Urias. Call up Mayo, and Holliday. Mayo replaces Mountcastle. Holliday replaces Urias. 

A younger team that can't pitch very well.

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree. I would hold off with Urias for now with Mateo out. He can play 3B/2B/1B and SS in a pinch, so his versatility on the bench is valuable without Mateo. This spot will open up for Holliday when rosters expand either way, unless we trade Norby in which case it would open up sooner. But the Mounty for Mayo swap should happen ASAP. Mounty has some real trade value and should be able to be a part of a package for some pitching.

9 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

A younger team that can't pitch very well.

Maybe with Seattle desperate with their struggles the last three years offensively that we could trade them Mountcastle, Mullins, Norby/Stowers, and a pitching prospect for Woo. 

The thing that would be the difference maker is that that pitching prospect one of McDermott/Povich from tier 1, DeLeon from tier 2, or a tier 3 guy like a Forret, Bright, and Fruit?

That’s how I see our tiers of what little pitching we do have. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

4 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Maybe with Seattle desperate with their struggles the last three years offensively that we could trade them Mountcastle, Mullins, Norby/Stowers, and a pitching prospect for Woo. 

The thing that would be the difference maker is that that pitching prospect one of McDermott/Povich from tier 1, DeLeon from tier 2, or a tier 3 guy like a Forret, Bright, and Fruit?

That’s how I see our tiers of what little pitching we do have. 

If McDermott/Povich are considered any kind of tier one, you are in serious bad shape.

In truth, we don't have much in the way of pitching prospects. But that was intentional so that we could load up on the position players. Now is the time to hopefully balance the equation some more.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Without your snarky response, my point is this.

You claim that Joey Ortiz was without question the best defensive player we had in the organization. I am saying that doing that in Bowie/Norfolk and doing that in Baltimore are very different things. Especially at a position as demanding as shortstop. To just assume that he would come up and be prime Omar Vizquel in the big leagues doesnt make sense to me. And Milwaukee has not even put him at SS this year. During that time where he was supposedly the best defensive player in our entire organization we also had a gold glove winner at 3B and fielding bible award winner at SS so I find it hard to believe that Joey wouldve been better than those two in Baltimore in 2022.

So now we look at 2024 in the big leagues- Fangraphs defensive metric which is positional adjusted so should correct for comparing across positions has Gunnar at 7.0 above average and Joey at 4.9 above average. We have a shortstop who is younger and better defensively.

As I said, time will tell if Joey becomes one of the best defensive players in the big leagues, I hope he does. But with every projection metric, offensively or defensively, they still have to come up and perform and do it. I do think that Joey shouldve been our starting 2B over Frazier last year.

Wayne-No-Laughing-Waynes-World.gif

32 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Agreed.  When athletes carry stress and tightness into a game, their muscle memory doesn't react as well.  Hopefully more clarity and certainty helps moving forward.

Paging Kathryn Rowe, Alejandro Macario, and Diamyn Hall!