Do the Os have a SS problem?

Pat Kelly

3 hours ago, Sammy Seagull said:

I miss Mateo at SS, Gunnar is too flamboyant 

Mateo was much worse at SS last season than he was in 2022. Mateo is overrated as a defender, especially by Elias and Hyde. 

You're just letting recency bias from a poor stretch from Gunnar inform your opinion. Gunnar is going to be completely fine at SS. Slumps and lulls are part of the game on both sides of the ball. 

Mateo only started 3 games at SS this season and didn't even look good doing so. People "missing" him are just making things up to complain about the team's recent rough stretch. 

• Upvote 1

I am not ready to suggest that he has the y&*s but it's definitely in his head. There isn't a better or even comparable alternative in the entire org though.

He's had a bad stretch for sure and we should probably be crucifying him as much as we would anyone else with stretch like he's had but with Jorge out for the remainder of the year and only Westy and JH as remotely reasonable backups (and who knows with Westburg leaving the game today) they just have to keep running him out there. 

It's easy to forget that Cal in his MVP year had something like 26 errors. There's plenty of time for Gunnar to get to that number and surpass but moving their best player off of the most important position on the field would only weaken the defense further. That said.. he is struggling big time and it is killing the pitch counts and overall defense and he's deserving of more grief for the mistakes. 

Winning cures a lot of problems. Guys start to relax and not press as much, and Gunnar is too good to keep on being this bad at the plate and in the field. 

As long as he doesn't ask Robert Kraft for advice on how to relax, he will be fine. 

It's almost enough to start having heretical thoughts about things like Bobby Witt and Joey Ortiz. Or our 2024 class, O'Ferrall and Layton.

I know, I know. Almost.

BTW, who was that Dodger 2B in the 80s (Steve Sax?) who lost it... also remembering Knoblauch. Funny, it happens out of nowhere sometimes.

Edited by now

6 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Gunnar never fields the ball with his feet still.  It seems like he has a bit of a footwork issue. Some orf the plays he has no choice, but often it seems he does. 

Honestly I think this is how the Os teach defense on the left hand side of the diamond. Westy kinda does it at 3B, Henderson definitely at SS, and Holliday in the minors at SS. 

• Upvote 1

The comparisons to Knoblauch and Sax need to stop. Both those guys literally just forgot how to throw the ball from second base to first base. That is not what is happening here. 

And you don’t move the all star starting shortstop off his position after a bad month. You just don’t. You guys are ridiculous. He’ll be fine. 

• Upvote 3