Eloy Jimenez aquired

eddie83

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

He said at the all-star break that Mayo and Holliday would come up and have a significant impact in the 2nd half. Was he lying? If so, why?

That was before Mayo started playing soccer in the infield and forgot how to throw...

Holliday has been pretty meh.  

They still have time to prove themselves & earn a spot.  

This may light a fire under their butts. 

11 minutes ago, O-The-Memories said:

Cowsers OPS now is much lower than it once was when he was in fire to start the season, but I'm glad he is starting to heat up again. Mayo has absolutely no place in the field other than first, so that limits his value a lot. Cowser is playing great defense in center and I think he can OPS around .750 going forward. That's more valuable than I think Mayo would be, defense considered. Mayo is a bat where we already have O'Hearn and Mountcastle. Do you think he puts up an OPS much above. 800 as a rookie in the majors?

Would you trade Cowser for Mayo right now? Probably, but I think Cowser is more valuable to this team this year. 

Anyway, I don't see how this is a bad signing. 

No one said anything about trading Cowser for Mayo. I certainly didn't. I was just pointing out that it's inaccurate to say that Cowser has cooled down when he's scorching hot at the moment.

I will say that I think Eloy is a bad acquisition, and I would much rather have Mayo than Eloy. Eloy is certainly going to take at bats at DH against LHP away from Mayo at the very least.

Elias had a horrible deadline day today. The Hays and Eflin trades were very good, Soto ok, everything else was awful. 

3 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

You can't teach bat-speed.  It's not like we got an over the hill guy with declining physical abilities and a slow bat.

His hard-hit rate and avg. exit velocities are darn good.

He doesn't strike-out a ton.

I'm mildly excited to see if he can catch fire.  He's been in a dumpster fire of an org. who can't develop crap.  Between new found motivation being on a 1st place team (crazy to say that with comments last week or so) and the opportunity for our player dev. to work with him, they could strike lightening in a bottle. 

If it doesn't work out, It's Mayo time.  3mm gamble.  Why not? 

I mean, Mayo has written himself out of any 2024 O's lineup @ 1b or 3b so why waste dev time & service time to have him come up and get the short end of DH split? 

Very nice post! 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Brooks The Great said:

No one said anything about trading Cowser for Mayo. I certainly didn't. I was just pointing out that it's inaccurate to say that Cowser has cooled down when he's scorching hot at the moment.

I will say that I think Eloy is a bad acquisition, and I would much rather have Mayo than Eloy. Eloy is certainly going to take at bats at DH against LHP away from Mayo at the very least.

Elias had a horrible deadline day today. The Hays and Eflin trades were very good, Soto ok, everything else was awful. 

Everything else that happened didn't lead to a loss of much, unless you like Stowers and Norby a lot. Cowser is hitting well now, I was trying to say that he was ice cold for a long time, and that his OPS still isn't great for the year. 

I also don't think they bring up Mayo to only DH part time. We will give him 1B/DH next year in a rotation with Mountcastle. I don't think O'Hearn or Santander are back next year, so there's a lot more room for him to play then. 

6 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

You can't teach bat-speed.  It's not like we got an over the hill guy with declining physical abilities and a slow bat.

His hard-hit rate and avg. exit velocities are darn good.

He doesn't strike-out a ton.

I'm mildly excited to see if he can catch fire.  He's been in a dumpster fire of an org. who can't develop crap.  Between new found motivation being on a 1st place team (crazy to say that with comments last week or so) and the opportunity for our player dev. to work with him, they could strike lightening in a bottle. 

If it doesn't work out, It's Mayo time.  3mm gamble.  Why not? 

I mean, Mayo has written himself out of any 2024 O's lineup @ 1b or 3b so why waste dev time & service time to have him come up and get the short end of DH split? 

Bat speed is at 73.9, good but not great.

For a guy with no speed or positional value I'd like to see more red with the bat.

I don't think this is the time or the place to see if they can fix him.

image.png.e18bdbef08cff18672501bd641831588.png

15 minutes ago, O-The-Memories said:

Everything else that happened didn't lead to a loss of much, unless you like Stowers and Norby a lot. Cowser is hitting well now, I was trying to say that he was ice cold for a long time, and that his OPS still isn't great for the year. 

I also don't think they bring up Mayo to only DH part time. We will give him 1B/DH next year in a rotation with Mountcastle. I don't think O'Hearn or Santander are back next year, so there's a lot more room for him to play then. 

Mayo can still come up when rosters expand and he can qualify for ROY 25. 

• Upvote 1