Eloy Jimenez aquired

eddie83

9 minutes ago, baltimoriole said:

I was actually thinking this was more like when they traded for Geronimo Berroa back in the day.

If he can go 11 for 34 with 2 homers and 3 doubles in the playoffs like Berroa did in '97, it will be worth it.

He is a situational hitter who probably doesn't see the field much and has upside. I don't know why people hate this pick. You're getting a very talented hitter for what looks to be a very low level prospect. In case you haven't noticed, bringing up rookies hasn't exactly worked that smoothly for the Orioles. Cowser has cooled down and Holliday struggled a lot. Both are better prospects than Mayo. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

What need does this fill? No defense, no offense, and expensive to boot?

per sources - after losing Hays it was thought he needed to be replaced in order to come in third place behind New York and Boston.

2 minutes ago, O-The-Memories said:

He is a situational hitter who probably doesn't see the field much and has upside. I don't know why people hate this pick. You're getting a very talented hitter for what looks to be a very low level prospect. In case you haven't noticed, bringing up rookies hasn't exactly worked that smoothly for the Orioles. Cowser has cooled down and Holliday struggled a lot. Both are better prospects than Mayo. 

Cowser is .375/ .435/ .650/ 1.085 since the AS break - maybe he's finally adjusted.  My guess on the larger strategy is that Elias doesn't want to make the lengthy investment is Mayo transitioning to the ML in the middle of a pennant race. 

2 minutes ago, O-The-Memories said:

Cowser is red hot right now. He has an OPS of nearly 1.100 over the past 15 days.

You saying that he's "cooled down" discredits any other observations you make. 

Mayo is also currently more highly ranked as a prospect than Cowser ever was. 

It feels like we were basically sellers replacing Hays and Stowers with jimenez and Pache. Losing Norby for an Irvin clone to essentially DFA the Rogers clone tips the scales negatively. Someone should have kept the liquor out of the warehouse today.

35 minutes ago, baltimoriole said:

I was actually thinking this was more like when they traded for Geronimo Berroa back in the day.

Right, I knew there were more comps... let's hope it's more Berroa than Aguilar!

33 minutes ago, O-The-Memories said:

Cowser has actually been very hot since the all-star break. In the last 15 games he is hitting .375 with a 1.085 OPS.

30 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Cowser is red hot right now. He has an OPS of nearly 1.100 over the past 15 days.

You saying that he's "cooled down" discredits any other observations you make. 

Mayo is also currently more highly ranked as a prospect than Cowser ever was. 

Cowsers OPS now is much lower than it once was when he was in fire to start the season, but I'm glad he is starting to heat up again. Mayo has absolutely no place in the field other than first, so that limits his value a lot. Cowser is playing great defense in center and I think he can OPS around .750 going forward. That's more valuable than I think Mayo would be, defense considered. Mayo is a bat where we already have O'Hearn and Mountcastle. Do you think he puts up an OPS much above. 800 as a rookie in the majors?

Would you trade Cowser for Mayo right now? Probably, but I think Cowser is more valuable to this team this year. 

Anyway, I don't see how this is a bad signing.