2024 Trade Deadline Aftermath

Sanfran327

I assume there is some truth to the reports of Austin Hays discontent.  Otherwise, it’s difficult to see the rationale for replacing Hays with Slater.  Slater does historically hit lefties better than Hays and avoids the optics of non-tendering Hays after the season (difference in payroll for this year is only ~$767K so not material), otherwise Hays seems superior for the role of platoon left fielder.

I’m guessing we try to pass Pache through waivers and option Kjerstad to make room for Slater and Jimenez.  

5 minutes ago, TopGunnar said:

My question would be, why did the World Series contending Phillies trade 2 bullpen arms? 

Because they traded for two bullpen arms (Carlos Estevez and Tanner Banks) that they liked better.

12 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

Jacob DeGrom is probably the best benchmark. He had same combination TJ/brace procedure from same doctor (Keith Meister) performed on June 12th 2023 (1 year and 1 week ahead of Bradish’s June 19th surgery).  DeGrom is probably ~1 week away from a rehab assignment.  That probably puts him on track for last week of August or first couple weeks of September, assuming no major setbacks.  Bradish would presumably be a week behind that schedule next year, so the return timeline will be tight.

Did Bradish have TJ/brace or just TJ?   It’s not a good comp if they didn’t have the same procedure.

11 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

Will the O's resign John Means this offseason?

I wonder if the O's will sign him to an incentive laden 2 year deal.  It seems like Means knows how to pitch if his arm will hold up.  Maybe $3 mill/$7mill deal with incentives mostly in the 2nd year to make $7 or $8 mill more.

3 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

I assume there is some truth to the reports of Austin Hays discontent.  Otherwise, it’s difficult to see the rationale for replacing Hays with Slater.  Slater does historically hit lefties better than Hays and avoids the optics of non-tendering Hays after the season (difference in payroll for this year is only ~$767K so not material), otherwise Hays seems superior for the role of platoon left fielder.

I’m guessing we try to pass Pache through waivers and option Kjerstad to make room for Slater and Jimenez.  

Yes but it wasn’t just exchanging Hays for Slater. We also got Dominguez for the pen. I agree bringing in Slater doesn’t seem great, but will let it play out I guess. Tired of being angry and overly critical.

My question would be, why did the World Series contending Phillies trade 2 bullpen arms? 

Soto and Dominguez were their 6th and 5th most used relievers (4th and 6th in leverage index). Seems like they had prior interest in Estevez as well and preferred him (and acquiring Hays) to Dominguez, while Soto was still pretty trusted in their pen but was their 3rd lefty. 

To do what many thought Seattle would need to do. Trade from your MLB depth to fix holes then use your prospects to backfill for what you see as an upgrade. 

They needed a Hays and weren't going to get one without dealing with a fellow contender who needed a RP. So that match made perfect sense.

The Soto and Johnson/Chase one was because they weren't overly impressed with Soto and got the upgrade earlier using their prospects which made him expendable for future prospects and flexibility. 

5 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

Because they traded for two bullpen arms (Carlos Estevez and Tanner Banks) that they liked better.

Banks is also under control for 4 more seasons and they likely got back more in return for Soto than they gave up for Banks. 

27 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I wonder if the O's will sign him to an incentive laden 2 year deal.  It seems like Means knows how to pitch if his arm will hold up.  Maybe $3 mill/$7mill deal with incentives mostly in the 2nd year to make $7 or $8 mill more.

IMO that would not be a good use of money. No real need there. Means can’t stay healthy and you just traded for a lefty starter.

Would prefer to put that money to better use.

I can't believe we got two flamethrowing relievers, both a righty and lefty, for Hays, Johnson, and Chace. Compared to what some of these relievers went for, I see that as a pretty huge win. Plus both of those relievers are under control next year. 

We went from having to rely on Bryan Baker as our velocity guy to Dominguez and Soto. I dunno, I think that's a huge upgrade. Would I have liked a proper closer? Sure. But considering we also had to acquire two SP, I dunno how you can't be happy with adding 4 pitchers, all of whom are upgrades to this staff. 

• Upvote 3