Austin Slater 2024

34 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Hays is 7 for 16 vs lefties since the trade.  That is a .438 avg and a 1.126 OPS vs lefties.   

The O's needed pitching and traded Hays to get it.   That does mean that Hays is not a good player.

He’s also got a .501 OPS against RHP in 53 AB.   He’s gone because he wasn’t happy being a platoon guy.     Better start hitting those RHP or Philly and Austin Hays are going to have a problem.

In 82 games and 244 PA Hays has a .2 FWAR this year.   What’s your standard for good?

Edited by RZNJ

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

He’s also got a .501 OPS against RHP in 53 AB.   He’s gone because he wasn’t happy being a platoon guy.     Better start hitting those RHP or Philly and Austin Hays are going to have a problem.

I think Hays was traded because Elias needed to add some pitching with all the injuries and Kimbrel's poor performance.   With Cowser ready for more at bats Hays was the logical player to move.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I think Hays was traded because Elias needed to add some pitching with all the injuries and Kimbrel's poor performance.   With Cowser ready for more at bats Hays was the logical player to move.

I’m sure that was part of it but I’m not sure it was the main instigator for the trade.  There were rumors that Hays wasn’t happy with his playing time and made it known within the clubhouse to the point where it was becoming a problem.   Elias killed two birds with one stone.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

I’m sure that was part of it but I’m not sure it was the main instigator for the trade.  There were rumors that Hays wasn’t happy with his playing time and made it known within the clubhouse to the point where it was becoming a problem.   Elias killed two birds with one stone.

I'm not sure it needs to be an either or here. Elias probably was shopping Hays around for pitching and it was probably a combination of him not being happy, and them needing bullpen help. Dominguez was probably the best guy that was offered back. 

I can't blame Hays for wanting to play everyday, but Cowser made him expendable.

• Upvote 1

Slater is a much better fit for the role they tried to have Hays fit, which was always a bad fit because he's slow and not a great defender. But he DID hit well vs lefties, without a doubt. 

Slater is like a more limber Hays. Or a McKenna who can hit and play reliable defense. 

12 minutes ago, interloper said:

Slater is a much better fit for the role they tried to have Hays fit, which was always a bad fit because he's slow and not a great defender. But he DID hit well vs lefties, without a doubt. 

Slater is like a more limber Hays. Or a McKenna who can hit and play reliable defense. 

Slater also knows he is a bench/role player. Hays hasn’t figured that out yet.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Haven’t seen anyone say “wow, I miss Austin Hays right now.”

That's true.  Hays was one of my favorite O's when he was here, but he was barely above replacement level.  I hope he enjoyed the high water mark of his career this year.  I think he'll have to take a paycut next year. 

Teams like the O's can't afford to pay guys like Hays 3rd and 4th year arbitration rates and teams like the Yankees, Dodgers and Phillies want to fill their roster with better players or save a million or 2 on marginal players.

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

That's true.  Hays was one of my favorite O's when he was here, but he was barely above replacement level.  I hope he enjoyed the high water mark of his career this year.  I think he'll have to take a paycut next year. 

Teams like the O's can't afford to pay guys like Hays 3rd and 4th year arbitration rates and teams like the Yankees, Dodgers and Phillies want to fill their roster with better players or save a million or 2 on marginal players.

He had his moments here. One should be so lucky to have a career like he’s had. 

Agree on the arb. 

23 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Slater also knows he is a bench/role player. Hays hasn’t figured that out yet.

Because Hays historically has been a better player than Slater.  9.2 rWAR in 2193 PA compared to 4.6 in 1671.   Hays was the odd man out on this team when he got off to a slow start and Cowser had a hot one.  I understand the decision to play Cowser and eventually to trade Hays.  Will Hays be a bench player in the future?   Maybe, but I wouldn’t be so hasty.   He’s 28 and capable of bouncing back from a down year.  We’ll see what the future holds for him.