Did the O's have the best deadline of any buyer? (All buyers and their acquisitions)

interloper

While not a slam dunk, I think you can certainly make a case. It also seems like the Orioles needed to make the most moves. I'm only listing the players acquired here so it's admittedly only one half of the picture. What deadline deals below do you like? 

Orioles
SP Eflin, SP Rogers, RP Dominguez, RP Soto, OF/DH Jimenez, OF Slater, IF Soto, SP prospect Reilly

Yankees
IF/OF Chisolm, RP Leiter Jr., RP De Los Santos

Red Sox
SP Paxton, C Jansen, RP Sims, RP Garcia, SP prospect Priester

Royals
SP Lorezen, RP Harvey, RP Erceg, IF DeJong

Twins
RP Richards 

Guardians
SP Cobb, OF Thomas

Mariners
OF Arozarena, 1B/DH Turner, RP Garcia, OF Thomas, C Salcedo, RP Chargois

Astros
SP Kikuchi, RP Ferguson

Rangers
C Kelly, RP Chafin, RP prospect Pennington

Dodgers
SP Flaherty, OF Kiermaier, IF/OF Rosario, IF Edman, RP Kopech, SP? prospect Gonzalez (17 year-old)

Phillies
OF Hays, RP Estevez, RP Banks

Braves
OF Soler, RP Jackson

Mets
SP Blackburn, RP Maton, RP Stanek, OF Winker, RP Zuber, RP Brazoban, SP? prospect Carreno (18 year-old)

Padres
SP Perez, RP Scott, IF/OF Lockridge, RP Hoeing, RP Adam

Diamondbacks
RP Puk, RP Floro, 1B Bell

Cardinals
SP Fedde, OF Pham, RP Armstrong

Brewers
SP Civale, SP Montas, RP Mears

Pirates
OF De La Cruz, IF/OF Kiner-Falefa, RP Beeks, RP Walker, IF/OF prospect Cook, IF prospect Yorke

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

I think they plugged the most holes, but went quantity over quality...and to be honest, I think it was the best plan without sacrificing the future since guys like Skubal and Crochet were going to have to be otherworldly overpays because the Tigers/Sox didn't have to trade them and Crochet hamstrung the White Sox with his extension demands and innings limit issues. 

• interloper changed the title to Did the O's have the best deadline of any buyer? (All buyers and their acquisitions)

I think the Dodgers had a clearly better deadline than we did.  After that... I feel like a lot of teams were pretty similar; I wouldn't really be able to pick between the Mariners, Orioles, Yankees, Royals, or Red Sox haul to be honest.

I think you’d have to look at what these teams gave up in exchange to really judge it.  I’m sure some objective pundits will weigh in over the next several days.  MLB.com ranked us no. 5 after the Cardinals, Dodgers, Mariners and Mets.  Lots of different opinions out there.  

Does Holliday count as added?

Elias certainly made moves to plug any need.  Even platoon type moves.  Sure we probably could use another TOR SP, or another high leverage RP, but every team in baseball would say that other than the Giants.  

If the lens is purely 2024, other teams may have done same/better than Os.  But when viewed from multiyear lens, I think Os clearly were top dogs.  Acquisitions were not purely rentals and preserved top prospects. 

Who got better for 2024? 

LAD got the best SP.  NYY get the most dynamic hitter. 

I like what PHI did for the context of their team.  Curious to see how SEA plays out because Arozarena and Turner can be really good hitters.  Probably the widest standard deviation of outcomes.  (Eloy on a macro level.)

We checked a lot of boxes with a strong SP in Eflin.  I'd say we're podium contenders.

18 hours ago, wildcard said:

Chisholm is going to be a pain in the butt to play against on the Yankees.

I dunno...he's a .247 lifetime hitter with a .310 OBP.   Maybe the "Yankees sauce" rubs off on him...but I just don't know at this point.

17 hours ago, btdart20 said:

Who got better for 2024? 

LAD got the best SP.  NYY get the most dynamic hitter. 

I like what PHI did for the context of their team.  Curious to see how SEA plays out because Arozarena and Turner can be really good hitters.  Probably the widest standard deviation of outcomes.  (Eloy on a macro level.)

We checked a lot of boxes with a strong SP in Eflin.  I'd say we're podium contenders.

NYY get the most dynamic hitter.  and fielder and baserunner. The O's should have outbid the Yankees because 1} We don't have a CF'er for the future and 2) keep him from the Yankees putting them over the top for winning the division.

He can also plug in anywhere in the IF. Extremely valuable player that the Yankees got on the cheap,

19 hours ago, Frobby said:

I think you’d have to look at what these teams gave up in exchange to really judge it.  I’m sure some objective pundits will weigh in over the next several days.  MLB.com ranked us no. 5 after the Cardinals, Dodgers, Mariners and Mets.  Lots of different opinions out there.  

I don't usually watch whatever the betting show is after the post-game show on MASN, but I happened to leave it on a little longer yesterday while straightening the office.  The two guys there were not really impressed with our work at the deadline.  And they also commented about other odds guys being equally unimpressed and some being down on the O's as a result.  I get the betting conversations are a little different, but it is interesting to hear their takes.

I think we did well, but the guys we got need to perform closer to the best they've done in the past rather than the meh they sort of are for this to work out.  I'm hopeful, however; we got what we needed position wise.