I want to say this about Coby Mayo (All Inclusive)

4 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

I honestly didnt know there was just one thread about Coby,I thought that when you have some information you share it as a new post...if that how it works here...Ill do that

Knowledge of him, personal stories, gripes about his use (or lack of), and general discussion of him can be in one thread, which is this one, which is a combination of most of your recent discussions on him.

If he is part of some news (say he is part of the "Rookie of the Year" race or All Star contention close to the event, along with a few others), then a new thread about that group is fine. We just do not want 4 different threads about one player, by one person, on the first two pages of the board.

Now, back to the topic at hand!

On 8/1/2024 at 1:31 PM, LookinUp said:

When is the last time he played there? Since the injury this year?

I believe he's a passable ML SS in the future, but not right now.

He's pretty much played there for the majority of his baseball life if I'm not mistaken. My point is he can fill in there if necessary.

30 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

He plays 3B like Wilson Betemit. I believe in the bat but I don't want to see Mayo at 3B anymore.

lol Wilson Betemit!! I was wondering when the last time I felt like an Orioles 3B couldn’t make a routine play. Betemit and Mark Reynolds! 

I was glad to see Mayo make solid contact on his last at bat, just to the wrong spot.  I think if he can get a hit or two he’ll relax.  Should have had a walk tonight, but Larry Vanover had other ideas.   

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

I was glad to see Mayo make solid contact on his last at bat, just to the wrong spot.  I think if he can get a hit or two he’ll relax.  Should have had a walk tonight, but Larry Vanover had other ideas.   

Agree on the hard contact. As for the called strike, if you’re talking about the full count AB, he needs to swing at that pitch on the outside corner. That’s gonna be a strike for every ump 

The home plate umpires ball/strike calls have generally been atrocious this season, and what I notice about Mayo is that he takes hittable pitches early in the count, falls behind, and then either swings at a pitch out of the strike zone or gets rung up on a pitch out of the strike zone. Regardless, he'll figure it out w/more experience. Now defense is another story.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, SouthernBird said:

I liked Norby better than Mayo.

Do you mean that you like Norby better as a prospect than Mayo? Or that Norby will have the better pro career?

If so to either question, what informs that opinion? And what are you seeing that the consensus of the scouting community is not?

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Do you mean that you like Norby better as a prospect than Mayo? Or that Norby will have the better pro career?

If so to either question, what informs that opinion? And what are you seeing that the consensus of the scouting community is not?

Just going with my gut and what I have seen from them in the minor games I have watched. Of course, I liked David Newhan too so there is that.

13 minutes ago, SouthernBird said:

Just going with my gut and what I have seen from them in the minor games I have watched. Of course, I liked David Newhan too so there is that.

Welp everyone is entitled to their opinion...

1 hour ago, CTBear said:

Agree on the hard contact. As for the called strike, if you’re talking about the full count AB, he needs to swing at that pitch on the outside corner. That’s gonna be a strike for every ump 

Well, I do not agree that it's a strike for every ump.  I'll just say that it wasn't the worst of the 12 called strikes that were actually balls yesterday.   I wasn't surprised he got rung up considering how bad Vanover had been to that point.

• Upvote 1

Mayo will be ok. He’s up for the long haul. I can’t believe people want to judge him off a handful of games. What’s the difference when he plays next year?  The games will be just as important. 

There will be growing pains. But… it’s not about what he is right now, it’s about what he is for the playoffs. He’s got the bat to be MVP of a playoff series. Urias and JD Davis don’t. 

He aight. 

Re the strike call on Mayo last night: yeah, he probably cannot take that pitch….yet.

Aren’t the minors using techno-umps to standardize ball/strike calls? Maybe he KNOWS that’s a ball 4 in Norfolk, but doesn’t translate to B4 in the bigs.