I want to say this about Coby Mayo (All Inclusive)

Just now, Gurgi said:

If Coby turns into a superstar the one more year of team control could be massive.  It could make his trade value higher.  We are close to bringing him up and I can see the temptation to tread water till the date passes where we keep him another year.  It is so close now.  

We’re way past the extra year. This is just for some outside chance at an extra draft pick in two years, that he’ll undoubtedly use on a college hitter who never makes it to Baltimore. 

41 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

The takeaway is that Roy is alluding to the notion that Mayo feels resentment towards the organization. That’s not good. 

Who really cares how he feels about the organization. That’s not gonna change how he plays. And if we’re talking about worrying about this six years from now  that’s silly. He will sign for the best contract offer he gets if it’s the Orioles he’ll take it. 

23 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

He’s not exactly setting the world on fire in the last month and isn’t doing himself any favors in the field.

Hes 22.

I can wait a couple weeks.

As a fan I’d be  pissed if we brought him up 2 weeks before we retained additional service time.

Take a deep breath.  This means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

If he’s the type that holds resentment over this then I don’t want him anyway, good riddance.

He’s not gaining any more service time. The Os won’t get him for longer if they bring him up two months ago, now or 3 weeks from now. 

It’s to keep a potential ROY draft pick available 

5 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

If Coby turns into a superstar the one more year of team control could be massive.  It could make his trade value higher.  We are close to bringing him up and I can see the temptation to tread water till the date passes where we keep him another year.  It is so close now.  

We don’t keep him another year if we bring him up now or in a month.

Just now, Safelykept said:

Nobody was promised arose garden. Think Mayo might be frustrated? How bout Norby/, gets traded from one ofthe best to worst teams, gets demoted

In fairness to Norby, he's down to learn to play 3B, he'll probably pick it up faster than Mayo has. ;)

• Upvote 1

Mayo should not feel badly.  He is an elite prospect.  Elias just reinforced that in his post deadline comments.  He will no doubt be up soon, probably faster than expected due to the Westburg injury.  

The Defense evaluation is an issue, the last thing anyone wants is a collective defensive dumpster on the left side of the infield between Gunnar and Coby.    The Orioles have always stood for great defense especially at SS and 3B.  

Let’s give this a few weeks.  Once the coaches said Manny was ready defensively at 3B he was promoted, 100% sure that will happen with Mayo. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

No it isn’t.  That date is at least 12 days into next season.  

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

He’s not gaining any more service time. The Os won’t get him for longer if they bring him up two months ago, now or 3 weeks from now. 

It’s to keep a potential ROY draft pick available 

Correct.  Got thrown off by OP.  

Since the beginning of the 2022 season, Rutchman, Henderson, Cowser, Westburg, Rodriguez and Ortiz have all successfully transitioned to contributing major league ballplayers.  At the same time the O's have gone 248-178 and are on track to appear in their second consecutive postseason.  If I were Mike Elias, that would be my response to all the complaining about how he handles minor league promotions.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Malike said:

In fairness to Norby, he's down to learn to play 3B, he'll probably pick it up faster than Mayo has. ;)

Fair enough, but those Marlin infielders are pretty weak, Could move Lopez to third andgive 2B to Norby

My biggest concern for Mayo right now is leaving him in a mediocre AAA lineup. No offense to the other guys who all have MLB aspirations but looking at the Tides lineup tonight, it’s just completely different from how it looked game 1. They were absolutely stacked and have been for years now because of the flow of top prospects through the system and now it’s only really Mayo left from that bunch. You just know that the amount of talent there has elevated the play of all those guys and the sudden lack of pop in the lineup could dampen Mayo’s drive and competitiveness. Sure, he could keep grinding but it’s a real mental test for him right now. Hopefully he steps up to the challenge knowing he’s so close but damn, it must be brutal. 

55 minutes ago, 24fps said:

But is it true?  Because if it is, Roy just broke a story.  FWIW that wasn't my takeaway from reading his post carefully.

I said I would be resentful if it were me. I also said he's been a "good soldier"while everyone around him was called up. I have no information on how HE feels.I know how I would feel. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CTBear said:

My biggest concern for Mayo right now is leaving him in a mediocre AAA lineup. No offense to the other guys who all have MLB aspirations but looking at the Tides lineup tonight, it’s just completely different from how it looked game 1. They were absolutely stacked and have been for years now because of the flow of top prospects through the system and now it’s only really Mayo left from that bunch. You just know that the amount of talent there has elevated the play of all those guys and the sudden lack of pop in the lineup could dampen Mayo’s drive and competitiveness. Sure, he could keep grinding but it’s a real mental test for him right now. Hopefully he steps up to the challenge knowing he’s so close but damn, it must be brutal. 

Plus he could start to get bored at that level.