I want to say this about Coby Mayo (All Inclusive)

6 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

How many younglings have we had sign, or even gave an inclination to sign....extended contracts since what?  Cal?

The fact is this organization treats their most precious commodities.....your controllable and most gifted players.....like actual commodities.   Like a company who treats its stock structure with impudence....diluting like crazy.  With no regard for its shareholders.  Or in this case...no regard for how a young player feels while growing with an organization. 

They do not feel appreciated. 

Like most things you post you don’t have any clue if the players feel they are appreciated or not.  There is ZERO indication any of these players have any kind of resentment for anything.  You pay these guys market money they will gladly sign with the Orioles.

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, accinfo said:

I think right now the defensive issues that Gunnar has had isn’t helping Mayo’s cause to be called up.  I don’t think they want an infield with a rookie at both third base and second base.  It probably has more to do with the rookie status being preserved.  That is a complement to him because I am sure Elias thinks he could be the rookie of the year next year and grant that draft pick.  Could the Orioles have 3 in a row?  Has that ever happened before?  Also the offense is not a problem right now.  The Orioles are scoring plenty of runs without Coby Mayo’s bat.  I also am pretty sure that the Orioles management communicates with Mayo that they want him to work on things before he is called up.  I doubt he is resentful.  

The Dodgers won ROY 5 in a row '92-96, 4 in a row '79-82, 2x twice '95-96 and '16-'17.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Just Regular said:

Has Connor Norby tweeted anything tonight about the Marlins gracing him with that honor?

Either Connor Norby or Coby Mayo's league is probably going to have Roki Sasaki in it.

How is Yamamoto's candidacy going?

59 minutes ago, waroriole said:

We’re way past the extra year. This is just for some outside chance at an extra draft pick in two years, that he’ll undoubtedly use on a college hitter who never makes it to Baltimore. 

I’m not sure what you’re getting at here. The comp or second round picks Elias has made in the 30’s/40’s from 2019-21 have all made the majors. 2 of them are all stars. You would think that kind of track record would excite you about getting a chance at another.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, StottyByNature said:

Sure, it’s a hard decision but man we’ve got to stop acting like this is some grave injustice.  I’m glad we have a GM who is patient.

There are trade offs either way.    I think many of us here appreciate both sides.

I wish Chris Young would have been a little more patient with top tier talent Evan Carter last fall.      Maybe Grayson Rodriguez could have gotten Robbie Grossman out.

The MLBPA and the league revisit all this stuff after 2026.    I don't believe Coby Mayo had a voice in the 2022-2026 rules, but until recently that's been every minor leaguer ever.

5 minutes ago, accinfo said:

Like most things you post you don’t have any clue if the players feel they are appreciated or not.  There is ZERO indication any of these players have any kind of resentment for anything.  You pay these guys market money they will gladly sign with the Orioles.

Again.......like all things that you post.  You are so far off base even a school girl could pick you off.

Again....how many youngsters have we had sign with us long term the past 30 years since Cal?  How many have even expressed an interest?  There is a reason why.  We don't treat them as the special players that they are.  I will name Manny as an A1 example. 

I will wait.......

waiting.gif

14 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think these guys all understand that this is a business. But they’re no different than anyone else in any other business who are busting their ass, performing at a high level and feeling that they need a challenge and a promotion. 

People want this to be like the glory days of the 60s-80s, part of that is creating an organization that people want to be a part of and love playing for. I completely get that’s a propeller hat beanie statement but you want guys who want to stick around. I don’t see the problem with that. 

I’m sure Mayo sees Westy go down today, doesn’t get called up and is either thinking “what the **** else do I gotta do to get a call up” and/or “this rookie eligibility stuff is BS.” 

In regard to his spotty defense, it’s also a BS excuse. I’m sure he’ll have made leaps and bounds in progress between now and the end of August in the defense department when they call him up. He’ll be a regular Brooks over there. 

"The glory days of the 60s-80s" had quite a few examples of players treading water at AAA because of a championship-level major league roster.

The only hint I have of what Mayo is thinking is possibly some insinuations from Firestone on this website, who, by the way, is not doing the player and family he is supposedly so fond of any favors with his obsessively repeated griping.

I assume that the last paragraph about how Mayo's defense will improve in the coming weeks to Gold Glove-level were added in jest.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, accinfo said:

And , when they hit free agency, they usually go for the top dollar -- team loyalty be damned.

4 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Again.......like all things that you post.  You are so far off base even a school girl could pick you off.

Again....how many youngsters have we had sign with us long term the past 30 years since Cal?  How many have even expressed an interest?  There is a reason why.  We don't treat them as the special players that they are.  I will name Manny as an A1 example. 

I will wait.......

waiting.gif

Adam Jones

30 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Are you saying this as a reporter or as a fan?

I'm not a reporter here. Never have been . Never will be. Im a fan. I bleed orange and black . This is my major sports love. This is why Im on this page. I have been an Oriole fan since I was a batboy more than 50 years ago.I'll never stop loving this club .I just want to see a talented young man get his chance when we could use him. And w could use him right now. Hey, maybe he struggles at first, but I believe it wont last long. I want to see him rise. And the team rise with him.

15 minutes ago, Malike said:

If he needs a challenge he should keep working at 3B defense and people are saying the reason he hasn't hit much in a month is he's bored, maybe focus and keep the nose to the grindstone. I think he was getting called up before he broke his ribs because Ramon wasn't hitting at all and he would have had enough time to win ROY if he came up and mashed. He got hurt, that sucks, and this is where we're at.

Ramon has been hitting, I wouldn't bet money that Mayo comes up and immediately hits better than Ramon. He'll get his shot this year. He's 22 in his first full season at AAA. Nobody can convince me that he has been handled poorly.

Well nobody can convince me he doesn’t deserve to be up here so 😛

I feel like I’m becoming the Robin to Roy’s Batman on the Mayo front here but I have to believe he’s better than Livan Soto. 

12 minutes ago, survivedc said:

I’m not sure what you’re getting at here. The comp or second round picks Elias has made in the 30’s/40’s from 2019-21 have all made the majors. 2 of them are all stars. You would think that kind of track record would excite you about getting a chance at another.

Even Coby Mayo himself is one of them, once you adjust for the draft pool money actually spent in 2020.