Who will post an .800+ OPS the rest of the season?

Frobby

Who will post an .800+ OPS the rest of the season?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who will post an .800+ OPS the rest of the season?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/06/24 at 21:29

Who do you think will finish the season strong, I.e., .800+ OPS the rest of the way?   I could only list 10 players in the poll, so I left off McCann, Slater and Urias.  Feel free to include any of them in a post, if you think they’ll join the party.    I also didn’t include Kjerstad or Westburg, since I don’t know when if at all they’ll be back in the regular season.  

Cowser looks like he's found his groove, and might OSP 1.000 the rest of the way. Gunnar's back and hitting the ball on the screws every AB. O'Hearn walks a lot, and goes oppo so often I don't know why opposing defenses still shift on him. Santander will likely SLG over .600 so he's a gimmie. Only guy I'm iffy about is Holliday because it's still a SSS. If he continues as is for another 8-10 games I expect pitchers to make an adjustment which will force him to make some changes in his approach. That might cause him to go into a mini-slump ala Cowser earlier this season. 

Well, the Orioles currently only have 4 healthy, active players with an OPS around or above 800 (with a decent sample size, that is):

1. Gunnar: 946
  2. Santander: 846
  3. O'Hearn: 803
  4. Cowser: 795

That's it. Adley is at 759. Mountcastle at 744. 

Honestly, I think the O's need to go back to a platoon at 1B between Mountcastle and O'Hearn. Mounty's splits have about a 100 point OPS difference and a 50 point AVG difference. That opens up the DH spot to rotate any number of guys now that there's a bunch of options between Jimenez, Slater, Adley, Santander.

Here's my order of 800 OPS in terms of likelihood:

1. Gunnar
  2. Santander
  3. Mountcastle
  4. O'Hearn
  5. Cowser
  6. Adley
  7. Holliday

I went with Henderson, Rutschman, and Santander. Henderson because he’s Henderson, Rutschman because he’s due for a good hot streak, and Santander because he seems like he’s on a roll this year (good timing with free agency).

I hope to see the rookies do it, but that seems too optimistic to hope for. Certainly not impossible. Mountcastle is always a threat to get hot but he’s also a threat to suck. I left Mullins and Jimenez off because they are so bad this year that any hope seems like too much.

Only ones I'm confident about are Gunnar and Santander. I think they will easily top that number. I tend to think Adley will. He's been in a huge funk, but when right, he's a .800 OPS play. O'Hearn will likely be right around there. And then, the likes of Cowser, Holliday and Mayo each have a chance, probably in that order. Essentially it breaks down (to me) like this: 

DEFINITELY WILL: 

1. Henderson

2. Santander

50/50 OR BETTER:

3. O'Hearn

4. Adley

5. Cowser

25-50%:

6. Holliday

7. Eloy

WOULDN'T BE COMPLETELY SHOCKED:

7. Mayo