Returning Starting Pitchers.

NedFromYork

Assuming Burnes goes FA, is the below what we have returning and control of over the next two years out of folks that have made starts this year?  We'll need some trades or FAs for sure.

2025- Rodriguez, Efflin, Kremer, Rogers, Irvin, Povich, McDermott

2026- Rodriguez, Kremer, Means, Wells, Rogers, Irvin, Povich, McDermott

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, NedFromYork said:

Assuming Burnes goes FA, is the below what we have returning and control of over the next two years out of folks that have made starts this year?  We'll need some trades or FAs for sure.

Means will be a free agent.  They may sign him to a friendly deal but right now that would be up to the Orioles to offer him that.

Definitely need to get at least 1 and preferably 2 middle of rotation starters or better for next year.  Rogers + Irvin + Povich +McDermott does not fill 1 spot combined as we have seen.  Plus injuries can and do happen and then you-re plugging in Povich or McDermott anyway.  Just don't want them as plan A.

50 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

What is the success rate after TJ surgery coming back to pre-op form?  I just picture Bradish having the same success as Means.

Recent estimates are 80% of pitchers who get TJ return to their prior level of performance. 

47 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

What is the success rate after TJ surgery coming back to pre-op form?  I just picture Bradish having the same success as Means.

Everyone and every case is different, also depends who does the surgery, I'd like to see The Orioles start working with Dr. Neal ElAttrache:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2024/07/01/neal-elattrache-profile-sports-medicine

44 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think Kjerstad is used in a trade for a starter.

I'm guessing that we would have to at least include one of the pitchers in the OP. And the pitcher acquired won't be at the level of a Burnes though right? Unless they are in their final year of the contract?

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Makes sense, but his trade value is probably far less than it was and what we may think it is. I think he is probably more valuable to the Orioles as a player vs as a trade piece now vs before because his value drop, but we will obviously need to make a move to a pitcher who moves the needle and he is one of our few remaining top 100 pieces to get that done. If this were to happen does this mean you are now in favor or re-signing Santander, or where does that lead your 2025 outfield?

I would assume Mountcastle and Mullins will be shopped hard this offseason for pitching as well.   

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Who would you rather have as your lefty DH for 2025 and beyond: Kjerstad or O'Hearn?

You definitely prioritize the rotation over the LDH hitter, but I would be disappointed to trade Kjerstad for a 4th or 5th rotation arm. 

8 hours ago, NedFromYork said:

we have no control over Means, but we do have control over Bradish....