Grayson Rodriguez 2024

Spy Fox

3 hours ago, UMDTerrapins said:

We’re definitely feeling the consequence of not drafting pitching. LA brought up Ryan from AA and he’s been great. Now Buehler is nearing a return and Ryan (who looks superior) goes back to the minors. For all the things we are, we still have a very obvious weakness. 

Who I know very well an 11th round pick by the Padres so he wasn’t an early round pick and not by the Dodgers at all. 

44 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

So we started the season with one pitcher with a known injury (Bradish), one pitcher behind schedule from TJ (Means), one pitcher who had never cracked 120 innings (Grayson), and bullpen options (Wells , Saurez, etc).

We signed Burnes, great move

We decided our innings leader from 2023 (Gibson) didn't have a spot

For 12M we would have had the security of a guy who has exceeded 160 innings for 6 consecutive seasons.

Would be second in innings in O's 2024 roster, not bad 4.04 ERA / 1.3 WHIP to boot

I mean, Gibson would help, but if I'm being honest, I didn't want him re-signed. We needed a TOR guy and got that with Burnes and went into the season with Burnes, Bradish, Grayson, Means, and Kremer. Of course, come spring we learned that Bradish was dealing with an issue and Means was delayed. With that added information, Gibson would've made some sense, but he was signed so early in the offseason.

The other issue with Gibson is he's always been a first half pitcher more than second half. That wasn't as true last year (though June-August weren't great, but he bounced back in September) but is holding true this season. He's pitched to a 4.04 ERA overall, but is nearly a run higher since the start of July. 

Honestly, I thought we were stacked going into the season. And then while I wanted a better option than Rogers as the second guy at the deadline. Adding 2 starters seemed to be sufficient at the deadline. The issue still, for me, isn't quantity as much as quality. With Bradish and now Grayson down, we lost our #2...twice. Here's hoping Eflin can keep doing what he's done his first 2 starts and Rogers can find his way.

40 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

There’s no way this is on Elias. The dude had at least a dozen pitchers that were at least serviceable starting options. It’s not his fault that he’s not only lost this many, but that all the ones he’s lost were the top options. There was no reason to expect Means to be out for the season. Or Wells. There’s depth, and then there’s just attrition that you can’t overcome.  Where would he even have stashed guys in the meantime if he had kept more options?  There are only so many spots to go around. 

Great post. 

51 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

There’s no way this is on Elias. The dude had at least a dozen pitchers that were at least serviceable starting options. It’s not his fault that he’s not only lost this many, but that all the ones he’s lost were the top options. There was no reason to expect Means to be out for the season. Or Wells. There’s depth, and then there’s just attrition that you can’t overcome.  Where would he even have stashed guys in the meantime if he had kept more options?  There are only so many spots to go around. 

I do hold Elias accountable. Going into February, this was your rotation:

• Burnes
  • Bradish
  • Grayson
  • Kremer
  • Wells/Means/Irvin/Suarez

Wells has an injury history, Means as well and was hurt at the end of last year, we saw Irvin as an issue as a starter, and Suarez was a huge question mark.

To me, I'd rather have the O's acquired another arm and pushed Wells into the bullpen where he belongs, Irvin in middle/long relief and Suarez as depth. I get that this Means was kind of in limbo, but remember Bradish went down with his first injury in February. There were still a number of starters available: Lorenzen, Montgomery, Brad Keller, Chase Anderson, Turnbull. Yeah none of those are exciting arms, but it was very much a gamble in that your 5 spot was a huge question mark. Basically it could only afford 1 spring training injury and then there were bigger issues down the line.

Edited by LookitsPuck
  • Upvote 1

Sometimes who wins the division is simple of who is healthy The Yankees have gotten 109 of their 113 starts from there big six Cortes, Rondon, Stroman, Gil, Schmidt and Cole.   2 of the other 4 were double headers where they needed another starter not an injury.  

Cortes made 12 starts last year and only once made over 14 coming into the season but has 23 this year.

Rondon made 14 starts last season and made more then 24 once since 2016.  He has already made 23.

Stroman who had injury questions this off season during free agency and made some teams pass on him has made 22 starts 

Gil who was out with arm injury last year and hasn’t thrown but 33 innings in majors in his career has made 21 starts and 112 innings.

Schmidt who was the one guy that made lot of starts last year at 32 has been injured but made 11 starts.  
Cole who had major arm concerns in spring training and many thought might need surgery came back a week after Schmidt got hurt to fill in the last 8 starts.   

The Orioles has Burnes 23, GRod 20, Suarez 15, Kremer 15, Irvin 14, Bradish 8, Povich 8, Means 4, Wells 3, Efflin 2, McDermott 1, Rogers 1.  We are looking like Rays last year just trying to get through the end of the year with so many pitching injuries. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

So we started the season with one pitcher with a known injury (Bradish), one pitcher behind schedule from TJ (Means), one pitcher who had never cracked 120 innings (Grayson), and bullpen options (Wells , Saurez, etc).

We signed Burnes, great move

We decided our innings leader from 2023 (Gibson) didn't have a spot

For 12M we would have had the security of a guy who has exceeded 160 innings for 6 consecutive seasons.

Would be second in innings in O's 2024 roster, not bad 4.04 ERA / 1.3 WHIP to boot

Dlias didn't sign Burnes, he traded for him.  Deduct 12M and Elias' budget wouldn't have had the headroom to take on Burnes' remaining salary.

28 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

• Burnes
  • Bradish
  • Grayson
  • Kremer

Wells has an injury history, Means as well and was hurt at the end of last year, we saw Irvin as an issue as a starter, and Suarez was a huge question mark.

To me, I'd rather have the O's acquired another arm and pushed Wells into the bullpen where he belongs, Irvin in middle/long relief and Suarez as depth. I get that this Means was kind of in limbo, but remember Bradish went down with his first injury in February. There were still a number of starters available: Lorenzen, Montgomery, Brad Keller, Chase Anderson, Turnbull. Yeah none of those are exciting arms, but it was very much a gamble in that your 5 spot was a huge question mark. Basically it could only afford 1 spring training injury and then there were bigger issues down the line.

Would we feel that much better with the rotation if we had Michael Lorenzen over Suarez right now?  Probably not.  He bought two pitchers at the deadline.  You can't blame him for not getting pitchers that weren't even traded.  Rogers isn't a TOR SP, but it sounds like we targeted Rogers over Fedde, and were outbid for Kikuchi.  

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Would we feel that much better with the rotation if we had Michael Lorenzen over Suarez right now?  Probably not.  He bought two pitchers at the deadline.  You can't blame him for not getting pitchers that weren't even traded.  Rogers isn't a TOR SP, but it sounds like we targeted Rogers over Fedde, and were outbid for Kikuchi.  

100% I'd feel better with Lorenzen over Suarez. Especially after the injuries to start the season. My issue is that this was and is a cascading effect.

44 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

• Burnes
  • Bradish
  • Grayson
  • Kremer

Not even - the O's knew about Bradish's injury in January. 

Just now, interloper said:

Not even - the O's knew about Bradish's injury in January. 

That's even worse if so. There were a bunch of other arms available. Marcus Stroman, Sean Manaea, James Paxton, Luke Weaver, hell even Shota Imanaga, but I'm not going to hold that against Elias as Imanaga would have been an Angelos issue. Either way, I do think Elias was overly optimistic on Means, Wells. But I think whenever you rely on oft injured guys, you're setting yourself up for failure unless those guys are purely depth.

2 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

• Burnes
  • Bradish
  • Grayson
  • Kremer

I'm guessing you didn't say this in February but congrats if you did. IMO, lack of starting depth is a classic hindsight narrative.  

If we had brought in a Lorenzen type I can imagine the complaints about blocking Povich.

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

100% I'd feel better with Lorenzen over Suarez. Especially after the injuries to start the season. My issue is that this was and is a cascading effect.

Suarez isn't chopped liver.  I'll go to battle with that dude in the regular season.  He's in our rotation.  What does it matter if he's #2 or #5 for the regular season?

This sucks, but we're alright.  We're passed the deadline.  Now it's time to dance with the girl you came with.  

Edited by sportsfan8703

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Suarez isn't chopped liver.  I'll go to battle with that dude in the regular season.  He's in our rotation.  What does it matter if he's #2 or #5 for the regular season?

This sucks, but we're alright.  We're passed the deadline.  Now it's time to dance with the girl you came with.  

If our offense gets hot like Texas' did last year, we can win with Burnes, Eflin, Kremer, and Suarez. None of those guys are liabilities, and each is capable of spinning a gem.