Power Rankings ,,,,,, Oโ€™s #1

Roll Tide

I think everyone is a bit disturbed by the last 6 weeks of play and the injuries, but this is a pretty decent team.ย  Lets get to the tournament and hope for a little luck.ย  Everyone else is dealing with the same.ย  The defense can get better and that should settle things down.ย  Looking forward to some minor improvements.

10 minutes ago, waroriole said:

All the top teams suck lately. I feel like weโ€™re the least equipped to overcome it in October but maybe thatโ€™s because Iโ€™m more focused on our deficiencies than other teams.ย 

The best case scenario is that Grayson, Coulombe, and Webb come back and are all effective for the O's.

The worst case scenario is that things remain as is for the Orioles: 2 very good starters and 3 back of the rotation arms with a below average bullpen, terrible defense and a high potential lineup with young guys. That's not a playoff team.ย 

ย 

11 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

The best case scenario is that Grayson, Coulombe, and Webb come back and are all effective for the O's.

The worst case scenario is that things remain as is for the Orioles: 2 very good starters and 3 back of the rotation arms with a below average bullpen, terrible defense and a high potential lineup with young guys. That's not a playoff team.ย 

ย 

It must be a playoff team if they are tied for first in the AL East.

12 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

It must be a playoff team if they are tied for first in the AL East.

The season doesn't end today.ย 

My point is there's still 1.5 months to go and the O's are without the bullpen arms that made them effective, the defense has not rebounded and has gotten worse with the injuries of Westy, trade of Hays and the calling up of Mayo and Holliday, and the rotation is down to 2 reliable and effective starters without Grayson.

That doesn't bode well.ย 

The good sign is that other playoff teams haven't been playing well. And the O's have time to iron out their roster issues, i.e. does Mayo get sent down? Does more playing time get spent towards the more effective players? Does Hyde stop getting cute by putting O'Hearn in the OF and stick to a platoon at 1B between O'Hearn/Mounty?ย 

I don't know how you fix this bullpen, though. It's really lackluster. There's not a single dependable arm among them. Not a single elite arm. They're all average to bad arms when not put in situational spots. And even in situational spots, i.e. lefty/lefty, some of them have been downright atrocious (Soto, for example).

Edited by LookitsPuck

41 minutes ago, waroriole said:

All the top teams suck lately. I feel like weโ€™re the least equipped to overcome it in October but maybe thatโ€™s because Iโ€™m more focused on our deficiencies than other teams.ย 

162 is a war of attrition.ย  Especially with all the pitching injuries.ย ย 

This definitely seems like a year where a team can get hot and run through the playoffs because of the weaknesses in most of the top teams.

I don't know how you do that without power bullpen arms though. Any team can get the bats hot. It happens. But the bullpen needs to get high pressure outs in the later innings.ย 

9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This looks like a year where no team will be a prohibitive favorite come playoff time. Make the playoffs, and see who gets hot at the right time. ย ย 

The 2006 Cardinals won the World Series. In the regular season, the were 83-78.

Their Monthly record:

July 15-11 57.7% +1
August 13-15 46.4% -4
September 12-16 42.9% +7

Get healthy, get hot.

Edited by Ridgway22
add monthly

It makes me wonder if there just is a lot of parity throughout the league this year, or some of the top teams suffered injuries to critical players and have brought those teams back down to the pack.ย  Or a combination of the two...

I know we have a strong roster, but 1986 still makes me fear any collapse. The O's were rolling, getting as close as 2.5 GB of the Red Sox at 59-47. They promptly lost 5 in a row and went 14-42 the rest of the way, and finished in last place.ย 

6 hours ago, Ridgway22 said:

The 2006 Cardinals won the World Series. In the regular season, the were 83-78.

Their Monthly record:

July 15-11 57.7% +1
August 13-15 46.4% -4
September 12-16 42.9% ย 

Get healthy, get hot.

The 2000 Yankees finished the season on a 3-15 slide and they managed to course correct when the playoffs started. Get Grayson, Coloumbe and Webb healthy in time for the playoffs and this team has a chance as good as any other team this season.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jagwar said:

I know we have a strong roster, but 1986 still makes me fear any collapse. The O's were rolling, getting as close as 2.5 GB of the Red Sox at 59-47. They promptly lost 5 in a row and went 14-42 the rest of the way, and finished in last place.ย 

First year I paid attention - I was only 6 - but what a great intro to the O's!