8/13 - Nationals vs Orioles

86this

1 minute ago, SilverRocket said:

It's almost like sac flies aren't actually that easy, and it's stupid to have two chances to get a hit instead of three.

I guess it's a matter of asking what is the more likely outcome:

A successful sacrifice bunt leaving an opportunity for a sacrifice fly or ground ball to the rightvside that scores a run, 

Or,

A GIDP,

Or, 

A hit.

With Mullins propensity for weak, shallow pop-ups, the sacrifice bunt seems like the right call.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Just came back from my walk.  Would have never guessed the Orioles scored a run there judging by the comments.

Odd how quiet the gallery was about the RBI.

Probably because Rogers is still pitching. Takes the air out of you.

2 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

They certainly are in the 2nd inning whe. The first 3 batters lined the ball all over the place.

They are always stupid, but sometimes they are less stupid than other times.

Unless you’re Ichiro, never sacrifice. Ichiro gets a pass because he almost always beat it out.

Just now, HowAboutThat said:

No. It is stupid to give up an out  when the three previous guys each had a ringing single, in hope that the next guy, who has a massive K rate and a .161 BA, will get a hit.

Even if you call for it on 0-0 and 1'0, which are still dumb, you definitely take it off on 2-0.

I dont typically scream at Hyde,  bit that was terrible.managing.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Don't like the Mullins bunt at all.  2-0 count you let him swing away rather than give an out.  Given how Rogers his pitching you need more runs.

Agreed it is not bad strategy if Burns and Efflin is pitching but Rogers probably gives up more runs.  I wonder if fact Mullins rarely hits anything on the ground plays into it too.  

1 minute ago, HowAboutThat said:

They are always stupid, but sometimes they are less stupid than other times.

Unless you’re Ichiro, never sacrifice. Ichiro gets a pass because he almost always beat it out.

If you beat it out it isn't a sacrifice.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Just came back from my walk.  Would have never guessed the Orioles scored a run there judging by the comments.

Odd how quiet the gallery was about the RBI.

Three straight solid singles and then Stupid bunt, stupid K, and fly out. The gallery is unhappy they only got one.