When is the last time the Orioles have had a decent winning streak?

Roy Firestone

I'm too lazy to look, but I'm guessing it's been a long while.Look, I know we are still flirting with first place and have among the best records in baseball. But it's been a long while since this team went on a good run. I think injuries have been the big problem, along with mediocre pitching, inconsistent hitting, and poor defense. But I wonder when or IF this team can get on a run for the rest of the season. The Orioles have not been hot, at best they have been luke warm. Im not talking about a 3 games streak .The Astros have won 7 straight. When is the last time the Orioles did that? I think the Birds have a ton of talent, and they are simply underachieving.

The team as currently constructed doesn't have the rotation or the bullpen to sustain anything more than 2-3 wins in a row. Too many injuries. Too many defensive miscues. I We now have months of these issues, so at this point this team is who they are.

16 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

The team as currently constructed doesn't have the rotation or the bullpen to sustain anything more than 2-3 wins in a row. Too many injuries. Too many defensive miscues. I We now have months of these issues, so at this point this team is who they are.

It's not the first Oriole teams have had months of mediocre baseball, only to snap out of it. The 1974 team had a 128 game stretch were they were 63-65, under .500 and finished 28-6 to win division. 1980, burned their first 30 losses to win 28 games, 72-32 after. 1982    61-57 play 32-9  to play for the divisin in the last day. The 1983 team had 2  seven game losing streaks, after the second used their next 7 losses to win 30 and blow the division open. All of these teams were who the were until they until they were not. And this happens because its baseball. I'm not ready to give up yet. 

• Upvote 1

Here’s the thing - IMO we should not expect winning streaks with a pitching staff that is this thin. It’s very improbable that we go a single time through the rotation right now and get 5 consecutive competitive starts. And even on some days that we do (like Sunday) we don’t have a very reliable bullpen.

The good news is that we are a few injury returns away from having a very nice postseason roster. (Well minus the bullpen).

I have a theory that the O’s still thrive with an underdog mentality (a lot of sports teams do for what it’s worth). Last year, chasing the Rays provided all the motivation they needed. This year, they caught the Yankees by June and haven’t looked as focused since then. They’ve reached the point where they need to be the ones getting chased and haven’t really accepted that role yet. I don’t know what it’s going to take to make that transition but imo it’s either veteran leadership in the form of an all-star caliber player (unlike the Odor, Frazier, McCann types) or a new manager. I’m talking someone who is a vet, repeat all star, pennant winner, etc. and still at the top of their game. We’ve had a combination of those things in vets but not really all in one package. You could argue Burnes but I’m more talking about hitters who are everyday players. 

Orherwise, we’re going to have to hope one of our young stars takes on that role over time. 

1 hour ago, Safelykept said:

It's not the first Oriole teams have had months of mediocre baseball, only to snap out of it. The 1974 team had a 128 game stretch were they were 63-65, under .500 and finished 28-6 to win division. 1980, burned their first 30 losses to win 28 games, 72-32 after. 1982    61-57 play 32-9  to play for the divisin in the last day. The 1983 team had 2  seven game losing streaks, after the second used their next 7 losses to win 30 and blow the division open. All of these teams were who the were until they until they were not. And this happens because its baseball. I'm not ready to give up yet. 

Sure, hope is good to have. I’m still going to follow them. I just don’t think this club can sustain the losses of Bradish, Grayson, Coulombe, Westburg, Webb, and Mateo. 

The defense is worse at 3B and 2B now. Much worse, to be frank. The bullpen doesn’t have a single reliable arm. Basically this bullpen went from being above average to start the year to being below average. 

So, to me: what’s to like about this club for the next 6 weeks? It’s not the defense. It’s not 2/5 of the rotation. And it’s not the bullpen. The young lineup that can be explosive but also quickly go into feast/famine mode. There’s just not a lot there.

Basically to compete, Kremer and Rogers are going to have to act like middle/back of the rotation arms and not cannon fodder. Perez and Kimbrel need to be competent. Akin and Baker can’t be mainstays in the bullpen.

Everything just feels out of whack and has for nearly 2 months.