CF options for 2025

OriolesMagic83

I thought it would be good to discuss the 2025 options for CF.

1.  Would be keep Mullins in CF.  Mullins is going into his last year of arbitration.  He makes $6.325 this year and should get a raise to the $8-9 million range.  Mullins has a .680 OPS right now w/ 13 HR.  He also is terrible .422 OPS against LHP, so needs a LHP platoon or someone like Cowser sliding over from LF.

2.  Free Agents.  Slim pickings.  Trade for Bellinger.  He has a $27.5 mill player option, with another $25 mill player option left on his contract.  He has a .760 OPS  You would think it's pretty much a sure thing he picks up the option.  Other options include Harrison Bader .700 OPS, Michael Taylor 569 OPS, Kevin Pillar .738 OPS, Aaron Hicks lol.  You can see it's not much of a free agent class. 

3.  O's Farm.  There seems to be no one ready to play CF

4.  Slide Cowser over to CF and put Kjerstad in LF and sign Santander to an extension in RF.  Alternatively, put Kjerstad in RF and sign a free agent in left field. 

Any other options?

1 minute ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

LF- Cowser

CF- Mullins

RF-Mayo

You've got the rest of AAA season, all off season and all of Spring training to get Mayo up to speed. Can it be done? 

I think it’s unlikely he will ever be the full time RFer…but 50-70 starts a year?  Yea that can I see.

• Upvote 1

If you let Cedric go and put Cowser in CF full-time, you've got defensively weak options in LF and no backup CFer. Having below-average LF defense at T. Rowe Price Field is asking for trouble. Unless another opportunity comes along to fill those gaps, it seems to me there's no good alternative to retaining Cedric, and spending the available resources ($$s and players) in places other than adding an OFer: starting pitching, the bullpen and a backup catcher.