8/17 vs Red Sox (Povich start)

Tony-OH

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

Cano is the only health bp arm with an ERA under 3. And it’s 2.96. This bullpen just isn’t good. No shutdown arms. 

Dominguez has looked like a shutdown arm lately but I'm assuming Hyde was saving him to close.  

28 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

What’s not debatable is they have scored 2 runs or less the fewest number of times in all of baseball by 3 games and are better than most teams by 10+ games.  Which means they usually will give you 3 runs or so a game.  

And yet they scored almost 10 runs a game in a loss against Houston, Oakland, Toronto, and Boston and still lost. And in most of those games they were down by a lot, scored a lot to come back, but not a lot to win. Those runs aren’t meaningless but scoring 5 runs when you’re down by 10 in the 8th inning don’t mean much. 

That’s not on the offense. But the timing of their scoring has been awful. They scored 10 runs last night but were out scored by Boston’s offense. If they scored even half of that tonight they likely win. Again, it’s not the offenses fault. But the timing has been pretty crappy this year after not being like that the last 2 years.  Not saying they’re the problem. The offense is better than last year. But the timing has sucked. 

Just now, baltfan said:

Went back and look. You are correct.  My bad.  I still say they don’t have him use it enough. He needs to change eye level. 

His 4 seamer is good when it’s up, I agree. But that thing was center cut. Duran is an awful person, but he’s a good hitter. Terrible pitch choice.

3 minutes ago, baltfan said:

He actually should have stuck with the 4 seamer up.   He doesn’t work up and down enough, so it looks like he left the sinker in the middle. 

It was supposed to be up but he didn’t get it above the belt.  That is Duran’s weakness he just threw it thigh high.  Same thing Kimbrel did yesterday.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, spiritof66 said:

Why pitch to Duran there? Only thing I can think of is fear of walking in a run. Any other reason?

Refsnyder isn’t bad. .289 off RHP. I’m just saying with 2 strikes maybe batter is jumpy. If he doesn’t hit your pitch no big deal.