8/17 vs Red Sox (Povich start)

Tony-OH

They are making the playoffs.  Yes as they are constructed today they are a 500 team.  500 the rest of the way gets you into the playoffs.  If they can get Grod, Columbe, and Westberg healthy they canbe a tough out in the playoffs.  Bullpen could have Dominguez, Suarez, and Kremer to help them.  

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, eddie83 said:

Perez is a top 3 guy now. Use him down 2? 

I normally get that. This isn’t a normal time. 

Perez isn’t great. I’m just saying you don’t pitch your bullpen arms 3 days in a row. Really ever. What was Hyde expecting?

Just now, LookitsPuck said:

Perez isn’t great. I’m just saying you don’t pitch your bullpen arms 3 days in a row. Really ever. What was Hyde expecting?

He has horrible options. Smith threw 3 pitches Thursday. 

2 minutes ago, dtk9119 said:

Devers Yoshita and Duran came up big.

AS, Adley, Urias, et al come up small

Timing. If they’re down by 3-4 runs they’ll score 2-3 runs but won’t come back. If they’re down by 1 they won’t score. It’s not their fault but the timing this year sucks. 

Just now, eddie83 said:

I think they have to send down Povich. Can’t afford one short in pen.  

Send down Rogers. He’ll just force you to use 4 relievers in a game anyway. If they send down Povich, you’re stuck with Rogers for a couple more starts. Might as well be automatic losses.

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Do you believe you can be not clutch?  My only point was that in the clutch in th8s series, the Orioles have not been great. The Sox, on the other hand, have repeatedly been good when they needed to be. 

They've been good when they've needed to be because Burnes was awful yesterday and because our bullpen is weak.  Plus the Red Sox right now are as good a hitting team as the O's if not better.  Timing and clutch is mostly an illusion.  

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Akin would have been a decent choice as a lefty. He may have pitched 2 innings but that's not the same as 3 nights in a row where you're actually pitching alot more because of the amount of pitches it takes to warm up.

1 minute ago, SteveA said:

Probably would have been Soto.

And if he had gotten hit the complaints would be just as loud.

Of course. 

1 minute ago, accinfo said:

They are making the playoffs.  Yes as they are constructed today they are a 500 team.  500 the rest of the way gets you into the playoffs.  If they can get Grod, Columbe, and Westberg healthy they canbe a tough out in the playoffs.  Bullpen could have Dominguez, Suarez, and Kremer to help them.  

It might not be pretty the next month, but if the O's can tread water until Grayson, Westburg, Coulombe and hopefully Webb as well return they will be better positioned for the postseason as any other team in the AL.

• Upvote 1

It’s pretty simple.  Good teams come up with big hits when needed, pitch well late in  games,  offense and defense in sync.  

Os are not that team.  Every player is on their own program.  Gunnar still developing, Holliday not a complete player yet but exciting to see him develop, adley is lost, Urias finally getting some playing time,  Santander not clutch,  BP decimated by injuries and remaining group is leaderless,  Hyde challenged to inspire players, Mullins a shadow of his past offensive prowess etc. Deeply flawed team that believes it is better than it is. 

Edited by Pat Kelly

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Who are you throwing? Kimbrel? One short in pen. Soto?

Nobody’s saying the choices were bright and shiny, but go with whoever is the most fresh? I guess by “one short” you mean he’s not gonna send Soto out there and yes, I certainly hope he doesn’t.

Smith threw 20 pitches yesterday. Perez threw none. Cano threw none.

so the question was why didn’t he bring in Perez? 
 Yes, the choices are not good, and Hyde’s Bullpen usage has been really bad all season. 
But Smith was not a good choice.

Oh, who cares, this team is lousy

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

I had no problem with pulling Povich but why bring Smith in for a third consecutive day?

It’s as if Hyde is required to make at least one stupid decision every game.

But he usually makes several.

Hyde has got to learn that he has to do what he can to minimize use of any reliever.     If you get beat stretching a starter having a good outing so be it.   You have to do whatever you can to keep those guys out of the game for as long as possible.  

• Upvote 1