One Run Here And One Run There Isn't Going To Cut It.

ORIOLE33

I guess last night was one of those games where the Orioles “pad their run totals” so that their overall offensive stats look good even though they’re failing most of the time.  😏  But I bet everyone in the game thread was literally begging for some insurance runs.  

• Upvote 1

Runs per game for this year's club, by month:
March/April - 5.41
May - 4.53
June - 5.62
July - 4.60
August - 4.70

So yes, we're down a bit in August from the earlier output of April and June, but better than a couple other months. And for the "feast or famine" aspect, in wins this year we are averaging 6.49 runs per game, 3 runs per game in losses. And those numbers are better than last year's club (which was 6.30 RPG in wins, 2.78 RPG in losses). 

So if we score 2 to 3 runs, we likely lose, which I think comes as a shock to nobody.

30 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good sac fly by McCann last night.  Underrated.  I believe he was 0-2 and battled back.  

I’m sure @Roy Firestonewas kvelling!  On the year, the O’s have 36 sac flies, which is tied for 9th among the 30 major league teams.   

18 hours ago, ledzepp8 said:

I'm not trying to pretend that they haven't struggled. I'm also not going to pretend that they haven't lost Jordan Westburg, Danny Columbe, Jacob Webb, and Grayson Rodgriguez to the IL. I'm not going to pretend that losing players to injury should have no effect on a team's performance. The other top teams have obviously struggled as well since the Orioles are still tied for the most wins in the AL. That was my point.

Again. My eyes don't lie. This team scores 9 runs then the next 5 games  they score 2 or 3 runs so screw those stats 

9 minutes ago, Baseball fandom said:

Again. My eyes don't lie. This team scores 9 runs then the next 5 games  they score 2 or 3 runs so screw those stats 

Yes, we are a momentum offense. Mets series will show 5 runs a game but we know that was a poor offensive series. We had 9 hits in the other two games and perfect game going into the 6th inning in one.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Yes, we are a momentum offense. Mets series will show 5 runs a game but we know that was a poor offensive series. We had 9 hits in the other two games and perfect game going into the 6th inning in one.

This is a great point and This series is a perfect example of why the runs per game argument doesn’t hold much water. 5 runs per game on the stat sheet would look like a solid offensive effort. Anyone who watched these three games would know that was not the case.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Thank you. Glad you can see this too. They score 9 runs yesterday but look at the few games before that and I bet  this is how it will be the next few games again. They have a game where they pound the hell out of the ball then can't do anything for several games. Yes we know the pitching sucks too but people always complain about the pitching and not the hitting. 

8 minutes ago, terpoh said:

This is a great point and This series is a perfect example of why the runs per game argument doesn’t hold much water. 5 runs per game on the stat sheet would look like a solid offensive effort. Anyone who watched these three games would know that was not the case.

This. The offense isn’t the problem with the team but they have way too many games where they’re just uncompetitive, especially for how good they actually are. 

Sure, the game yesterday and the Red Sox game Friday were great. But in their last 12 games, they have scored more than 4 runs just 4 times. I don’t care that they score 2 runs or more, more than any other team. That’s a meaningless statistic, because you’re probably not winning when you score 2 runs. You’re probably not winning when you score 3 runs, and most teams are probably still under .500 when scoring exactly 4 runs. The median scoring team in the MLB scores 4.33 runs per game. No team is going to score the exact same amount of runs every game, but they have been just flat out uncompetitive almost every other night lately and that’s not good enough. 

4 minutes ago, Baseball fandom said:

Again don't care about these stats. I see a team that score a bunch of runs one gane then the next 5 games struggle to score. I can't believe you don't see this.  

I literally based that chart on looking at individual outcomes of every single game.  Some people just don’t want to look at facts out in front of them.  I won’t waste my time trying to convince you.  

10 minutes ago, Baseball fandom said:

Again don't care about these stats. I see a team that score a bunch of runs one gane then the next 5 games struggle to score. I can't believe you don't see this.  

And why should you in a game like baseball! It's not like it's the most quantifiable sport by a distance!! 

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I literally based that chart on looking at individual outcomes of every single game.  Some people just don’t want to look at facts out in front of them.  I won’t waste my time trying to convince you.  

Frobby I've been a follower of this site for many many years and have always respected your opinion greatly but I just feel like this offense is sooooo overrated.