Cole Irvin to start tomorrow

accinfo

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m kind of interested in seeing Brandon Young, but the timing didn’t work out because he pitched on Sunday.  Povich was recalled even though he’s not available until tomorrow at the earliest.  So, I assume this will be one and done for Irvin and then they’ll insert Povich somewhere?    

I think it’s one and done for him in rotation but to me question is then what?  I’m sure they would prefer him to go back to AAA and start but what if a team claims him?

Then they would have to keep him in pen as long man to avoid that. 

4 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

This could definitely be one and done for Irvin in the rotation, but with the Eflin injury I wonder if they try to put Irvin back in the pen instead of DFA’ing him. I believe he could not reject the outright to AAA after clearing waivers the first time, but now he could now if they DFA him again.

Young and Irvin are really the only SP depth remaining now, and there’s big questions about all of the SP except Burnes, Kremer and Irvin left standing now making it through the rest of the year. Suárez threw a lot over winter ball, Rogers barely pitched last year and is already pushing his career high IP, and Povich and especially Young are still building up innings as young SP (with Young coming off TJS as well). 

I think Young is a much better option than Irvin now, but Irvin is durable if nothing else. Young also had the 40-man roster working against him (although he will need to be added this offseason, so that’s not much of an impediment), but I also wonder if they will be conscious of trying to not use one of Young’s options this year. This year has really emphasized the importance of optionable SP depth and he projects to be one of those depth guys for the next few years. That’s a very marginal difference in value and it doesn’t outweigh trying to have the best team we can put on the field now, but it could be a factor under consideration.

Beat me to it. 

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

I think it’s one and done for him in rotation but to me question is then what?  I’m sure they would prefer him to go back to AAA and start but what if a team claims him?

Then they would have to keep him in pen as long man to avoid that. 

On 9/1 the rosters expand from 26 to 28.  I think Irvin sticks until then and makes a 2nd start in the rotation.  Then we re-evaluate.  

53 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

On 9/1 the rosters expand from 26 to 28.  I think Irvin sticks until then and makes a 2nd start in the rotation.  Then we re-evaluate.  

Exactly.  Smith probably goes down for Irvin today,  then whatever optionable deliver goes when Akin comes back. 

They were fortunate that Irvin went unclaimed regardless of what we the fans think of him. He can slide into the BP or spot start. No one could have forcast this many injuries. 

Everything is about getting to 9/1 and then seeing where some of the possible returning players are.

1 minute ago, maybenxtyr said:

Exactly.  Smith probably goes down for Irvin today,  then whatever optionable deliver goes when Akin comes back. 

They were fortunate that Irvin went unclaimed regardless of what we the fans think of him. He can slide into the BP or spot start. No one could have forcast this many injuries. 

Everything is about getting to 9/1 and then seeing where some of the possible returning players are.

One of the benefits of Irvin having a guaranteed salary owed to him this year.  If Irvin survives until 9/1, then I can see him being offered arb, and sticking around till the end of ST next season.  We can cut bait with him at the end of ST and only have to pay him 20% of the arb figure we settle on with him.  That's a nice insurance policy.  

I don't know how Irvin's going to do today but they need to keep him out there for a while even if he's getting beat around. Can't completely shred this 'pen today with Houston coming up. 

It sucks that the Mets are absurdly right-handed heavy lineup-wise. Really bad matchup for Irvin, who's not a good start to begin with against most teams for obvious reasons.

With that said, wouldn't be surprising if Irvin pulls a good start out of thin air. But if Irvin and Rogers continue struggling, I'd like to see Povich and Young replace them in the rotation. We need to see what we have, especially in the case of Brandon Young. We've already seen what value Irvin has to the O's and the rest of baseball recently - pretty much none - while Rogers has shown what he is for 3 seasons now.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Could be wrong because a lot of roster moves yesterday, But thought it was Eflin To IL, Irvin up (not sure how he got back on the 40) Tate for Akin. Theres nowhere to send Smith down to other than DFA.

12 hours ago, Brian88 said:

Nick Avila has allowed 10 earned runs in an inning and a third in Norfolk, I'm thinking his spot on the 40 man is toast.

Have to imagine he's a huge DFA candidate.

Edit: Just saw that he was DFA'd

9 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

Could be wrong because a lot of roster moves yesterday, But thought it was Eflin To IL, Irvin up (not sure how he got back on the 40) Tate for Akin. Theres nowhere to send Smith down to other than DFA.

Smith has option left.