Elias…DFA Kimbrel now!! (9/18: Kimbrel DFA'd, Baker recalled)

Wavetrapper

15 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Like so many guys the Orioles have picked up over the years.

There's a thread on the history board, but more specifically, here are former quality MLB players that came to Baltimore late in their career and never played a single game after we got rid of them.... so they basically came here to die:

• Craig Kimbrel [if ne never pitches in the majors again which I think is likely]
  • Tony Kemp [if he never plays in the majors again]
  • Matt Harvey
  • Dan Straily
  • Vlad Guerrero
  • Keith Moreland
  • Colby Rasmus
  • Dwight Evans
  • Ubaldo Jiminez
  • Robinson Chirinos
  • Pedro Alvarez
  • Seth Smith
  • Michael Bourn
  • Joe Saunders (the second time we picked him up)
  • Jim Thome

Mychal Givens (2023 version)

Odor

Frazier

Maikel Franco

Gallardo

Wilson Betemit

Lew Ford

Izturis 

Atkins

Russ Ortiz

This could turn into a long list. It would be fun to put together a "reverse all star team" based on the absolute worst performances. 

34 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

He did pitch pretty well for us early on but man oh man did he drop off a cliff. Wish the guy nothing but the best.

1st Half: 2.80 ERA, 0.962 WHIP

2nd Half: 10.59 ERA, 2.177 WHIP

14 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Did you see Soto himself is celebrating his upcoming free agency?    His HR in Seattle last night gave him all 30 ballparks.

Gerrit Cole may or may not be doing a Boras Corp side hustle consulting gig coaching him on how you say "Speaking as myself and no longer as a member of the ballclub..." moments after your club is eliminated.

"It's a great feeling for me; so many different ballparks, so many different dimensions," Soto told reporters, including MLB's Bryan Hoch. "I just want to get all of them checked in. What a way to go into free agency, with all 30 ballparks checked on my list."

LOL I thought that just had to be Just Regular satire.... but the link is real, and the Yank-dissing (in effect) quote. Sometimes you can't beat real life for satirical effect. :)

19 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Mychal Givens (2023 version)

Odor

Frazier

Maikel Franco

Gallardo

Wilson Betemit

Lew Ford

Izturis 

Atkins

Russ Ortiz

This could turn into a long list. It would be fun to put together a "reverse all star team" based on the absolute worst performances. 

Once again, I am talking about guys who we are the LAST team to not realize they are done and we bring them in, and they fail so badly that their career is over and they never play in the majors again.    Odor, Frazier, Franco, Gallardo, Izturis, and Ortiz all played for other major league teams after us.   

Givens part 2, Betemit, Atkins and Lew Ford do fit the bill.

Just now, SteveA said:

Once again, I am talking about guys who we are the LAST team to not realize they are done and we bring them in, and they fail so badly that their career is over and they never play in the majors again.    Odor, Frazier, Franco, Gallardo, Izturis, and Ortiz all played for other major league teams after us.   

Givens part 2, Betemit, Atkins and Lew Ford do fit the bill.

Ah. Kinda hard to believe anyone employed any of that group after us, but I guess it's true. 

Do HOF voters really take into account a drastic dropoff at the very end of a career?   I think if you have established a HOF worthy body of work, hanging on a year too long and having some rate #s drop a bit shouldn't hurt you that much.   

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Told ya'll it was a bad signing.

Yeah I never liked it.  I was okay with him in the bullpen but I wanted another reliever for the closing role.  Everyone in the league was saying the Orioles could not rely on him.  But Elias took the chance.  

Who knows what monetary limitations he was under last off season?  I hope to god Elias is more proactive on getting help.  He knew Bradish and Means were on vapors in spring training.   He did not get us enough pitching help then either.  

2 minutes ago, luismatos4prez said:

His resume isn't too different from Lee Smith, who made it.

Smith pitched more than 50% more innings.  1289 innings compared to 809.

That's huge.

Fun fact, 10% of his career earned runs came in the last 18 innings.

It's fascinating to me that someone with that long a career can have such a large shift in such a fast period of time.

7 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Yeah I never liked it.  I was okay with him in the bullpen but I wanted another reliever for the closing role.  Everyone in the league was saying the Orioles could not rely on him.  But Elias took the chance.  

Who knows what monetary limitations he was under last off season?  I hope to god Elias is more proactive on getting help.  He knew Bradish and Means were on vapors in spring training.   He did not get us enough pitching help then either.  

As bad luck as they've had with injuries that absolutely caught lightning in a bottle with Suarez.  That move was beautiful but beyond lucky.