White Sox Series

Uli2001

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Didn’t our guy have an ERA equal to Nastrini before last night’s game and Nastrini had actually pitched better than Povich his last two starts?

Povich was a full run of ERA better in AAA along with lower walk rate and reasonable WHIP. There is nothing Nastrini has done in the minors suggesting he could be a major league pitcher. 

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The idea that he wanted a financial guarantee before he would agree to increase his workload beyond what he and the team had decided on earlier in the year?

I don’t have an issue with that personally. Injuries are real and he wanted some security in case of that. I don’t see a problem with that.

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I don’t have an issue with that personally. Injuries are real and he wanted some security in case of that. I don’t see a problem with that.

I know it rubbed some folks the wrong way.  To me it would depend on what his demands were.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I know it rubbed some folks the wrong way.  To me it would depend on what his demands were.

I think some people see that these guys make a lot of money to play a game and they should be thankful and do what they are told.

Those people don’t live in reality land.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I think some people see that these guys make a lot of money to play a game and they should be thankful and do what they are told.

Those people don’t live in reality land.

Ticket prices ain't coming back down.

If the players don't get it the owners will just keep it.

I'd rather it be the players.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it was the way it came out, rather than the actual idea.   It sounded very “me first.”  But in his specific situation, it made some sense.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think it was the way it came out, rather than the actual idea.   It sounded very “me first.”  But in his specific situation, it made some sense.  

It was me first…and that’s exactly what he should have been thinking about.

27 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Povich was a full run of ERA better in AAA along with lower walk rate and reasonable WHIP. There is nothing Nastrini has done in the minors suggesting he could be a major league pitcher. 

Nastrini has a career 4.22 minor league ERA, Povich 4.39.   Nastrini was a 4th round pick just like Povich.   Nastrini struck out 127 in 87 IP in A+ at 22.   Nastrini was a good arm the WS got back in trade from the Dodgers.   Sure, Povich was having a much better AAA season this year but don’t act like they’re complete opposites.  

Your original point was akin to remember the dark ages when we had to use pitchers who weren’t ready for the major leagues.  Povich’s numbers before last night looked just like that kind of pitcher.

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Nastrini has a career 4.22 minor league ERA, Povich 4.39.   Nastrini was a 4th round pick just like Povich.   Nastrini struck out 127 in 87 IP in A+ at 22.   Nastrini was a good arm the WS got back in trade from the Dodgers.   Sure, Povich was having a much better AAA season this year but don’t act like they’re complete opposites.  

Your original point was akin to remember the dark ages when we had to use pitchers who weren’t ready for the major leagues.  Povich’s numbers before last night looked just like that kind of pitcher.

It's interesting, they are the same age and have followed very similar trajectories. Yes, both are 50ish grade pitchers with flaws.  FWIW Cade struck out 122 in 90 at A+. I don't think Povich is head and shoulders above Nastrini but at least he has shown success at AAA. I guess if you look just at July-Aug you could see some basis for promotion but I sure didn't see it last night! 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

It's interesting, they are the same age and have followed very similar trajectories. Yes, both are 50ish grade pitchers with flaws.  FWIW Cade struck out 122 in 90 at A+. I don't think Povich is head and shoulders above Nastrini but at least he has shown success at AAA. I guess if you look just at July-Aug you could see some basis for promotion but I sure didn't see it last night! 

The start before while Povich was getting lit up by the Dodgers, Nastrini was holding Texas to 3 hits, one run, and get this, one walk in 6 innings.   Baseball is a funny game.

8 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Povich has had some really awful starts, such as the one against Oakland where he allowed 8 ER in 1 inning.  Judge him solely by that day and you’d say he’s as bad or worse than Nastrini.   But those three pitches that hit the backstop on the fly were like something out of a Steve Dalkowski documentary.  

I didn’t think a sweep was ‘necessary’ before the series started, but after watching the Sox on the field the last two days - and especially last night - I now think it is, simply because losing to this team right now, at home, would be kind of pathetic. I have no idea how this team beat anybody 12-2, let alone the Yankees. Wild stuff. They might finish with 35 wins. 

11 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I didn’t think a sweep was ‘necessary’ before the series started, but after watching the Sox on the field the last two days - and especially last night - I now think it is, simply because losing to this team right now, at home, would be kind of pathetic. I have no idea how this team beat anybody 12-2, let alone the Yankees. Wild stuff. They might finish with 35 wins. 

Baseball is funny like that. Remember 2021 when eventual WS participant Houston came to OPACY and swept us, outscoring us 26-3. One week later we were sweeping the Astros at HOuston. They need to keep the foot on the gas and get this sweep.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

The idea that he wanted a financial guarantee before he would agree to increase his workload beyond what he and the team had decided on earlier in the year?

Nah that was weird and whatnot, but I just get the feeling that he has high "flash-in-the-pan," potential. I have NOTHING scientific to back this up, just a feeling. 

• Thanks 1