Orioles wins the last 2 years

Sports Guy

34 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

This gives off strong "The 2012-2016 Orioles led the American League in Wins" energy.

Well, nowhere in that period did the team win 182+ games in two years.  So, there’s that. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Well, nowhere in that period did the team win 182+ games in two years.  So, there’s that. 

Don't get me wrong, I vastly prefer the team to win regular season games but I don't think fans of teams that do well in the playoffs worry about stuff like this.

Did you know the Ravens won the most regular season games last year?

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Don't get me wrong, I vastly prefer the team to win regular season games but I don't think fans of teams that do well in the playoffs worry about stuff like this.

One of the more frustrating things about baseball commentary is that it's the sport where the playoffs probably mean the least of all but fans try to put the biggest narrative into them.  If that makes sense.

4 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

One of the more frustrating things about baseball commentary is that it's the sport where the playoffs probably mean the least of all but fans try to put the biggest narrative into them.  If that makes sense.

I get it, and I do very much care about day in and day out the team doing well.

But I don't want to hear about not getting swept, having the best regular season record and other stuff of that ilk when the team isn't having success in the post season.  They haven't been to a WS since '83.  They've been to one ALCS in the current millennium. 

If they win the division with 93 wins and get bounced in the ALDS are you going to consider the season a success? 

I should but I won't.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Probably, though I don’t follow football the way I do baseball.  

37 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I get it, and I do very much care about day in and day out the team doing well.

But I don't want to hear about not getting swept, having the best regular season record and other stuff of that ilk when the team isn't having success in the post season.  They haven't been to a WS since '83.  They've been to one ALCS in the current millennium. 

If they win the division with 93 wins and get bounced in the ALDS are you going to consider the season a success? 

I should but I won't.

I think if the Orioles make the playoffs in consecutive seasons, that’s a success.

And I absolutely understand all or nothing take with the ALCS or the WS.

I had no idea when the O’s won in it 1983 that it would be it for four decades now.

However, the trauma of all those losing seasons in between, has created a different mindset. I’m grateful they are competitive. We were the horrific White Sox we’re playing, just a minute ago or so it seems.

I want the hardware. I want the parade (which I will fly home for to celebrate with my people).

However, and I don’t know where my newfound patience is coming from, I’m good this season if they get their foot in the door again. As long as we’re not done building and trying to improve from here, I like winning more than losing during the very long season.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s been 27 years since the team had consecutive playoff appearances, so that definitely would be a good accomplishment that doesn’t always come around that often.  People who can only be happy if their team wins the World Seties are going to be unhappy almost all the time.  I choose to have different gradations of happiness.  

I certainly wasn't saying that.

But one WS appearance in more than 40 years?  One Championship series in the last 25 years?

If they get bounced in the first round this year I'm going to view it more as a missed opportunity than a success.  I'm going to see it as a year of Adley/Gunnar/Burnes wasted.

Is that an entirely reasonable take?  No, but that's how I'm going to feel.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I certainly wasn't saying that.

But one WS appearance in more than 40 years?  One Championship series in the last 25 years?

If they get bounced in the first round this year I'm going to view it more as a missed opportunity than a success.  I'm going to see it as a year of Adley/Gunnar/Burnes wasted.

Is that an entirely reasonable take?  No, but that's how I'm going to feel.

I understand that.  Like I said, I have gradations of happiness.  I went into 2024 expecting the O’s to make the playoffs, so that’s pretty much table stakes.  If they failed to win the division and lost a 1st round playoff series, I’d probably be pretty disappointed, especially in the moment.  But it beats missing the playoffs.   

• Upvote 1

One day, my father and I were talking about a performance I had just given during church, and I was unhappy with it. I said it was bad. He corrected me..

“It is better to think that you are happy with your progress, but not yet satisfied.”

That’s really good. I’m happy with the progress, and I will consider not winning the division. a major setback, because it is a step back.

The season and the playoffs are two different things, and it is possible to win the season and lose the playoffs and vice versa.

I want consistent progress.

• Upvote 1