Clubhouse issues?

Sports Guy

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I implied no such thing.  I was stating that other teams, say the Rays, Brewers, and Guardians, manage the incredible feat of staying competitive with a payroll that is near that of what the Orioles have.

I don't see anyone hear talking about how great a job Cleveland does despite their payroll.  Folks here act like the Orioles are perennially last in spending.  The Rays got hit HARD by injuries last year and that terrible crime and still won 99 games.

There are a lot of fans of Cleveland on the board who routinely reference the hub they do. 

To act like payroll doesn’t have an effect on a team’s ability to withstand injuries and that it is not correlated with success is delusional. Yes, the Orioles did a terrible job for years of being competitive with a middling payroll. And they were criticized constantly for it. Yes, the Rays had a very good season last year despite injuries. But in no way does that change the fact that payroll is important and allows teams to get away with more roster mistakes and definitely helps provide depth. Those are facts. 

1 minute ago, Ohfan67 said:

There are a lot of fans of Cleveland on the board who routinely reference the hub they do. 

To act like payroll doesn’t have an effect on a team’s ability to withstand injuries and that it is not correlated with success is delusional. Yes, the Orioles did a terrible job for years of being competitive with a middling payroll. And they were criticized constantly for it. Yes, the Rays had a very good season last year despite injuries. But in no way does that change the fact that payroll is important and allows teams to get away with more roster mistakes and definitely helps provide depth. Those are facts. 

Sure.  Having additional funds available is a useful resource.  I'd say it's a bit overrated but yea, it's useful.

And it's 100% unproductive to whine about the disparity in what owners are willing to spend.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure.  Having additional funds available is a useful resource.  I'd say it's a bit overrated but yea, it's useful.

And it's 100% unproductive to whine about the disparity in what owners are willing to spend.

Who’s whining on this thread? I was originally responded to a poster who basically said the Dodgers have done a better job dealing with injuries than the Orioles have. They’ve won four more games with 2x the payroll and Ohtani. I’m sure Elias would love to have their problems. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, SteveA said:

Platooning Westburg????   He played in 101 of 109 games before getting hurt.   He was never platooned, unless your definition of platooning is giving a guy an occasional day off in the long grind of a season.

Platooning Mayo?   He has 10 starts.   6 vs RHP, 4 vs LHP.

Absolute nonsense.

Also don't forget that just because a player may not show a platoon advantage vs the other side, or even has slight "backwards splits",  often the pitcher does have an extreme platoon disadvantage, so even if the player is platoon neutral it or slightly backwards, could STILL be the correct move to get the bat in against the pitcher who gets hit hard by righties..

Last year with Westburg. You don’t have to get upset about it. 40% of his starts against a LHP is a lot. He hits RH better but is typecast as a guy to face LHP. 

6 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

You just don’t like Hyde and want your pound of flesh. 

But no blood!

Seriously, you complain about me not liking him, which is true, but you ignore the fact that one, I’m not the only one and two, there are lots of reasons to not like the guy.

We’re not just making stuff up. Regarding my reasons, you may disagree with the degree to which they are a problem, but you can’t realistically claim they aren’t problems.

7 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

But no blood!

Seriously, you complain about me not liking him, which is true, but you ignore the fact that one, I’m not the only one and two, there are lots of reasons to not like the guy.

We’re not just making stuff up. Regarding my reasons, you may disagree with the degree to which they are a problem, but you can’t realistically claim they aren’t problems.

There are zero reasons to not like him. 

You may have reasons you would prefer him to not be the manager and even those you completely overrate but not liking the guy is just weird.

17 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Ha. I said in the game thread we should walk him. However, that was a borderline case. You also don't want to put the go ahead run on 2nd. IBB reduces the chance of a dagger HR but allows a base hit to win it. 

I am almost ALWAYS against walking the bases loaded, for the simple reason that you then cannot afford to walk the next batter.   If the pitcher falls behind to the next batter, it’s huge trouble.  Pitching with the bases loaded is very difficult.  

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I am almost ALWAYS against walking the bases loaded, for the simple reason that you then cannot afford to walk the next batter.   If the pitcher falls behind to the next batter, it’s huge trouble.  Pitching with the bases loaded is very difficult.  

I’d rather trust that than the situation they had in front of them.

8 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

But no blood!

I can realistically claim they aren't problems because they're not.

It was stated when he was hired that Hyde was going to be able to pilot this club after the rebuild was "over."  He wasn't going to be just a lame duck manager here to babysit the kids while they figure out the big leagues.  

And he's done an overall great job.  IMO, he should have been manager of the year in 2022 when no one expected this team to finish over .500 and he won manager of the year last year.  Actually, this year, I think he's done an even better job than 2023 due to the fact of the amount of injuries sustained, yet we're somehow in the thick of things for the division title.  If you're not going to acknowledge that it's remarkable that this team is where it currently is despite losing almost half a roster of key players, then there's no reason to continue this conversation.

You can quibble with a pitching change after it blows up in his face, which, IMO, is always a lazy thing to complain about...wait until the reliever comes in, the move doesn't work because the pitcher doesn't execute and then it's "Oh, well this is all Hyde, he should have done THIS instead..."  

Easy to second guess after the facts.  And when people are in the game thread constantly second guessing Hyde before he makes a bullpen move and complaining about who he's bringing in...well, a broken clock is right twice a day.  

I will say I think he makes too many pitching moves but that's a small thing to quibble about.  The other things that get levied against him such as "he doesn't show enough fire" are absolutely silly.  As is the notion that "I think he's lost the clubhouse" which is pure speculation.  If anyone had any irrefutable evidence or quotes to back that up, I'd agree.

• Upvote 4

The OP raises a question. The answer is there is absolutly nothing here but speculation - particularly by those that want there to be issues. Again The Moose nails it but logic doesn't matter in some circles. Some think they see blood and run to the blood they want to see. In fairness, we all latch on to anything that is congruent with our thinking. So I think it's best to let those that want to see issues here do their thing. 

• Upvote 1

I think the Kremer interview is a whole lot of nothing. Having a great game and not getting run support is part of being a pitcher. Walter Johnson lost 26 games by a score of 1-0. Pitchers spend their time thinking about pitching, not how to improve the offense. Dean was asked a dumb question and he gave an honest answer, which is that it's not his job or his place to comment about aspects of the team he has nothing to do with.

All we can do is try to read between the lines of Kremer's statement.  My reading is that he doesn't understand why Holliday is playing 2B instead of someone with a better glove (Soto?) given that he's not hitting.   He could also be wondering why Povich is in the rotation instead of Irvin, or he may be questioning bullpen usage.  I think veterans are skeptical of younger players in general and in this case it is reasonable to wonder whether the front office is dictating that younger players get to play even if they aren't cutting it yet.  

So many people are reading so much into the Kremer interview. Like I said yesterday, it was a ridiculous question that Kremer was asked. He's not the GM. He's not a coach. He can't speak for other players. He has one job. Try to pitch to the best of his ability, which he did brilliantly that night.

How that one response to a reporter's dumb question became a "clubhouse issues?" thread is beyond me.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

There are zero reasons to not like him. 

You may have reasons you would prefer him to not be the manager and even those you completely overrate but not liking the guy is just weird.

Good grief. How can you misunderstand so completely. I don’t mean that I dislike him personally, that’s silly. I have absolutely nothing against him as a person.

I don’t like his managing. His managing is bad, and a different manager would have more wins, even despite the injury and personnel problems we have.

But I don’t dislike him, sheesh. I realize that in this internet world, that’s pretty easy to do, but it remains silly.

1 hour ago, Three Run Homer said:

in this case it is reasonable to wonder whether the front office is dictating that younger players get to play even if they aren't cutting it yet.  

That may be his gripe, but if it is he has not paid attention. The Orioles have done very little of this. A lot of posters on the board have been very critical of the Orioles for NOT playing prospects and allowing them to take their lumps at the ML level. It’s only in the last two months of injuries have the Orioles consistently played young players who are struggling.