Another 9 game stretch

Sports Guy

The last 9 game stretch was a complete failure. The Os went 5-4 in a stretch where 6-3 was the absolute minimum they should do.

Now we have 6 against Det and 3 against the Giants. 

As we all focus on the NY series, the games played between now and are every bit and perhaps more important.

As of now, we miss Skubal..but we get Snell and Webb.

Detroit is playing better and still has a shot at the playoffs, so it won’t be easy. They can pitch well. 

SF is a mediocre pitching team.

Both teams are below average offensively.

The Yankees play 10 games in this stretch. That starts tonight, as they play 4 vs Boston at home. Then they go out west to play Seattle and Oakland before coming back to play us.

I doubt the Yankees do better than 6-4 in that stretch. Can the Os win 6 or more games?  With the way they are playing, probably not but the most difficult are likely this weekend. 

15 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

Outside of message board banter it's become impossible to try and predict what this team will do in any given stretch.

Even with the injuries, it's fair to say that they've left some wins on the table. Hopefully they can win 6 of these games. 

I don't think it's impossible at all.  They've been bouncing around .500 for 3 months now.  They will either go 5-4 or 4-5 lol.

• Haha 1

I thought about starting a similar thread. There's a nice continuity to this stretch-- nine games against the only two teams we haven't faced yet, two .500-ish teams with just ok offenses and some nice pitching. (The Tigers pitching is better overall, but if we miss Skubal and face Snell/Webb, the Giants series is maybe tougher.) And the results of this stretch will set the tone and stakes for the Yankees series. 

All three series are winnable. I really want to see three 2-1 series wins. What I predict is that we win both Tigers series but lose the Giants series for a 5-4 stretch overall. 

As soon as you stop worrying about winning the division, the better off you’ll feel about this season. Once we split with the Astros, took 1 from the Dodgers and realized we wouldn’t be losing 7 in a row (8 counting the Mets finale), I exhaled a bit. All that matters is getting the IL guys healthy enough so they can contribute again, ideally with some time before the postseason to shake off the rust. Whatever this team is doing now doesn’t matter and the schedule is very friendly to the WC teams this year with the extra days off. If we don’t get the IL guys back in time, it won’t matter if we get the bye or not. 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

My goal for this 9 game stretch is to clinch a playoff spot by the time it’s over, and leave ourselves with a realistic shot at a division title.   

Agreed. I don’t really want to go all out to have to win games in the last series. I want to get guys rested (maybe Adley doesn’t play any game that series), get the pitching lined up and get the injured guys some more Ml time.