AM, Penn/Andino and Eaton

Sports Guy

In case I wasn't clear(which definitely may be the case), I don't see Eaton having value in the context that we have younger placeholders with more uspide.

If those guys didn't exist in our organization and we didn't want to "rush the young pitchers", then Eaton would make more sense.

Who do you think would be the best MLB pitcher this year between Eaton, Pauley, Hennessey, Waters, Penn, and all the others that were in the running for the 5th starter spot? You can rank them if you like.

I'd go with Waters, Eaton, Pauley, Penn, Hennessey.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In case I wasn't clear(which definitely may be the case), I don't see Eaton having value in the context that we have younger placeholders with more uspide.

If those guys didn't exist in our organization and we didn't want to "rush the young pitchers", then Eaton would make more sense.

It seems the placeholders we did have we not working out well in spring training. Maybe the brass thought that having a sucky guy making peanuts who use to be passable has a better chance for success than a sucky guy who never was successful.

We are not losing much of anything.

This is like arguing over whether to blow your self up with a new grenade or an old grenade. They are still grenades and in the long run, they are both going to kill you. ;)

Seriously though, Penn brought us back some value because we got a guy who can actually play shortstop. Had we just released Penn for nothing and kept Eaton, then I would agree that I would have preferred to have kept Penn over Eaton.

However, due to the fact that Eaton was not going to bring anything back from anyone and the fact that Hill and Bergeson are going to be in the rotation sooner than later, I don't really have a huge problem with throwing Eaton in there as a placeholder and moving Penn for some value.

I really don't think this was an either or situation. I think the Orioles maximized the value of Penn by getting some return for him rather than put him into the rotation, watch him get bombed, try to pass him through waivers and risk losing him to a team like the Marlins for nothing.

To me, neither Penn or Eaton is part of the future here so the fact we got some type of value for one of them (Andino) is remarkable in in of itself if you ask me.

Who do you think would be the best MLB pitcher this year between Eaton, Pauley, Hennessey, Waters, Penn, and all the others that were in the running for the 5th starter spot? You can rank them if you like.

I'd go with Waters, Eaton, Pauley, Penn, Hennessey.

I don't know but I would put Eaton last probably.

And btw, Penn didn't have to be in the rotation...He could have gone to the pen and other things could have been done.

Well, intelligent analysis couldn't have told them he was a worthwhile signing.

He was signed because AM hoped he would eat innings and because he has a track record..AM basically said this in his interview yesterday.

Here's the thing: it boggles my mind that anyone thinks the presence of a microphone in your face suddenly makes you tell the truth about stuff! It's not like MacPhail was under oath when he gave that interview. He said what he felt he needed (wanted) to say in order to get the point across he wants gotten across.

MacPhail's statements could be anywhere from 0 to 100% bull...given that none of us is MacPhail, we're not likely to ever know.

And this is still an incredible amount of time and energy to spend on a place holder!

This is like arguing over whether to blow your self up with a new grenade or an old grenade. They are still grenades and in the long run, they are both going to kill you. ;)

Seriously though, Penn brought us back some value because we got a guy who can actually play shortstop. Had we just released Penn for nothing and kept Eaton, then I would agree that I would have preferred to have kept Penn over Eaton.

However, due to the fact that Eaton was not going to bring anything back from anyone and the fact that Hill and Bergeson are going to be in the rotation sooner than later, I don't really have a huge problem with throwing Eaton in there as a placeholder and moving Penn for some value.

I really don't think this was an either or situation. I think the Orioles maximized the value of Penn by getting some return for him rather than put him into the rotation, watch him get bombed, try to pass him through waivers and risk losing him to a team like the Marlins for nothing.

To me, neither Penn or Eaton is part of the future here so the fact we got some type of value for one of them (Andino) is remarkable in in of itself if you ask me.

Yeah, that is probably the bottom line.

I agree. We are not trying to win. Not sure how we would be in the position to win this upcoming season. We are looking at 74 wins right now. Now find 20 more. That would be about 80MM more on the free agent market if you do your best. 4 top tier players. We have to have enough young quality talent in place in order to usefully supplement talent with free agents. Signing a guy now, so he can sit around collecting paychecks for a team not bound for the playoffs is a waste of money.

That's pretty dire. I thought we were a little better than a 74 win team, but you know better than I know.

Here's the thing: it boggles my mind that anyone thinks the presence of a microphone in your face suddenly makes you tell the truth about stuff! It's not like MacPhail was under oath when he gave that interview. He said what he felt he needed (wanted) to say in order to get the point across he wants gotten across.

MacPhail's statements could be anywhere from 0 to 100% bull...given that none of us is MacPhail, we're not likely to ever know.

And this is still an incredible amount of time and energy to spend on a place holder!

This is just bs...Again, AM has wanted Eaton from the beginning of the offseason. He has been a target for this team.

This isn't microphone in your face, make up a story.

Absolutely I would criticize them. The reason is because if I'm supposed to swallow another losing season, I want the guy who's got upside to be given a chance. I don't want to watch the guy lose when I knew he was going to lose in the first place. I'm nearly positive that every time Eaton goes out to pitch, he's giving up 11 hits/9 and almost 4BB. I know that's going to happen. I know he's going to lose almost every time out. As a fan, why bother watching that?

I'm not nearly so positive as you. A pitcher can have an ERA over 5.50, and a WHIP over 1.50, and still not lose almost every time out. Eaton's actually the perfect example of this as his ERA the last 2 years has been close to 6.00 but he still has managed a 14-18 record. Why? Because at least half the time, he pitched half-decently. And chances are he will have his half-decent days with the Orioles, too. He'll win most of those, and probably get a few wins even in games where he's pretty lousy.

Now I find myself in the odd position of defending Eaton, which I really don't want to do since (1) I was against his acquisition and (2) I think he's got a >50% chance of being gone by Memorial Day or so. But to say he's going to lose almost every time out is an exaggeration in my opinion.

This is just bs...Again, AM has wanted Eaton from the beginning of the offseason. He has been a target for this team.

Why do you think AM wanted Eaton again? I'm curious about the reasons, not evidence. Do you really think it was solely because of the QS statistic he threw out and his veteranosity, or do you think there's more to it?

He wasn't sitting around praying Adam Eaton would become available. He identified him as a guy we could add to our slew of potential starters. Please stop acting as if MacPhail is in love with this guy and would do anything to keep him on the team. You are really distorting the truth here.

Why do you think AM wanted Eaton again? I'm curious about the reasons, not evidence. Do you really think it was solely because of the QS statistic he threw out and his veteranosity, or do you think there's more to it?

It was that combined with not wanting to rush young kids.

He wasn't sitting around praying Adam Eaton would become available. He identified him as a guy we could add to our slew of potential starters. Please stop acting as if MacPhail is in love with this guy and would do anything to keep him on the team. You are really distorting the truth here.

AM had been pursuing Eaton since November..That is a fact,..Whatever spin you want to put on what I am saying is up to you but that is A FACT!

It was that combined with not wanting to rush young kids.
It was not wanting to rush kids combined with not finding another, better option.

He brought in about 8 similar guys that he wanted to find 2-3 of to be in the rotation until mid-season when the young guys are ready.

Archived