AM, Penn/Andino and Eaton

Sports Guy

I am not sure if this has been mentioned on here or not but AM was interviewed, on the radio, before today's game.

The part I heard had to do with the Penn deal and Adam Eaton and I was really bothered by what AM had to say.

First I will talk about what he said about Penn/Andino:

1) He was going to out Penn on waivers and knew he was going to lose him.

2) The deal got done quickly...He called Beinfast up(he spoke with him about Penn earlier in ST) and asked if he had interest...He said he told Beinfast that he was going to waive him and that SD was likely claiming him and if he wanted Penn, then he was going to have to deal for him...Beinfast, at first, said no but called him back and said he was interested...Andino was mentioned and done deal.

Now, on Eaton....:

1) Had discussed Eaton with the Phils all offseason....They actually were targeting him.

2) Figured they would take their chances with him being put on waivers...They made the calculated risk that he would be waived and that we would have a chance to claim him.

3) Mentioned that he felt he threw the ball well in ST and that he had 19 starts last year..10 of which were QS.

Listening to this exchange, I was just disgusted by what AM had to say.

First of all, it tells me that the idea of stat analysis and things like that were totally ignored in the case of Adam Eaton.

Secondly, he mentioned how they brought in Hennessey and Parrish and how they wanted either them or Eaton to provide some kind of vert presence in the pen....Are you kidding me? Does he actually believe that?

He mentioned that Eaton was a high pick...Who the hell cares...Should we bring back Chris Smith as well?

And then, on top of all of this, he was willing to lose Penn for 20K so that he could keep this scrub on the team?

I like a lot of what AM has accomplished but this whole situation was a joke....The stupidity behind it is mind boggling to me.

(Btw, this is nothing against andino..im glad he actually got something for Penn but that's not the point here)

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd rather have Eaton than Penn. Neither has an MLB future, IMO, and I think Eaton has a better chance of helping us this season.

I'll readily admit that people could view Penn as having some upside, I just don't think he does anymore. I don't think he has any more of a future as a pitcher than Luis Hernandez does as a SS, and nobody was complaining when we let him go.

I don't like having Eaton on the team, but I understand why he was brought in. They are crossing their fingers that he can keep his ERA under 6 until they are ready to bring up some young prospects with actual upside (not guys like Penn, Hennessey, and Pauley).

The QS start thing has merit. Eaton is an all or nothing kind of player. Had he been more efficient with his pitches, he would have gotten to the 6th.

Markakis missed the play on Longoria's double, and had he not it could have been a potential QS by Eaton.

This offense should be able to overcome 4 runs. If Eaton can only give up 4-5 runs every start, we should be able to be in the game provided he can make it to the 6th inning.

2) Figured they would take their chances with him being put on waivers...They made the calculated risk that he would be waived and that we would have a chance to claim him.

So... the Phillies ultimately chose to outright release Eaton instead of placing him on waivers... that's what happened? At which point we signed him to a Minor League contract..?

But, if he had been placed on waivers we would have claimed him... would that of meant we'd be on the hook for his remaining 9$M salary... or am I misreading all this?

Anyone?

The QS start thing has merit. Eaton is an all or nothing kind of player. Had he been more efficient with his pitches, he would have gotten to the 6th.

Markakis missed the play on Longoria's double, and had he not it could have been a potential QS by Eaton.

This offense should be able to overcome 4 runs. If Eaton can only give up 4-5 runs every start, we should be able to be in the game provided he can make it to the 6th inning.

4-5 runs every start will have him out before the 6 inning starts..That is terrible.

Eaton has no business being here...He is terrible.

Funny that you advocate him but want to get rid of Pie..Most inconsistent poster on this site.

I am not sure if this has been mentioned on here or not but AM was interviewed, on the radio, before today's game.

The part I heard had to do with the Penn deal and Adam Eaton and I was really bothered by what AM had to say.

First I will talk about what he said about Penn/Andino:

1) He was going to out Penn on waivers and knew he was going to lose him.

2) The deal got done quickly...He called Beinfast up(he spoke with him about Penn earlier in ST) and asked if he had interest...He said he told Beinfast that he was going to waive him and that SD was likely claiming him and if he wanted Penn, then he was going to have to deal for him...Beinfast, at first, said no but called him back and said he was interested...Andino was mentioned and done deal.

Now, on Eaton....:

1) Had discussed Eaton with the Phils all offseason....They actually were targeting him.

3) Mentioned that he felt he threw the ball well in ST and that he had 19 starts last year..10 of which were QS.

Listening to this exchange, I was just disgusted by what AM had to say.

First of all, it tells me that the idea of stat analysis and things like that were totally ignored in the case of Adam Eaton.

Secondly, he mentioned how they brought in Hennessey and Parrish and how they wanted either them or Eaton to provide some kind of vert presence in the pen....Are you kidding me? Does he actually believe that?

He mentioned that Eaton was a high pick...Who the hell cares...Should we bring back Chris Smith as well?

And then, on top of all of this, he was willing to lose Penn for 20K so that he could keep this scrub on the team?

I like a lot of what AM has accomplished but this whole situation was a joke....The stupidity behind it is mind boggling to me.

(Btw, this is nothing against andino..im glad he actually got something for Penn but that's not the point here)

This is much ado about nothing, imo.

1) I think its pretty funny to suggest that statisitcal analysis is being ignored by the FO in the case of Eaton. He sucks, and I'm pretty sure they know it. He's cannon fodder, and as such, the cheaper and lesser the commitment the better. Well, it doesn't get cheaper or less committed than Eaton.

2) In the case of Penn it's pretty funny to get upset with the guy because he was willing to lose him for nothing, because, guess what?, he didn't lose him for nothing. He made the trade and got something for him.

I don't know, like I said, I don't see the sense of outrage.

Well, he referenced the QS thing which JTrea gets all excited about...but I know what you mean. Eaton's stats outside of the QS thing are horrific.

I guess the part that bugs me the most is that vet presence thing. While I do think it holds some weight...you gotta get a guy in there that's been a good pitcher and someone that a young up and comer will respect.

Someone like Pedro Martinez or Lowe. Moyer's TOO old, but I wouldn't have been mad if we gave him a 1 year deal. And if you're gonna whine about the price tag on those guys, look at it as spending money on the future of the Big 3 and the other prospects. An investment of sorts.

Those guys have been around and won a ring or two. They know how to pitch and keep a team in the game when their stuff isn't 100%. That's someone I'd look to for advice or knowledge or "vet presence" if I was learning the ropes in the MLB.

I remember a couple years ago taking photos at OPACY...I got to the bullpen area before the game because I wanted to watch Clemens warm up and take photos of him. But what I saw was Rivera sitting in the bullpen bench for 20-30 minutes talking to a reliever, dishing out advice. I could hear part of their conversation.

Success breeds success. Adam Eaton isn't a successful big league pitcher.

It's like a fat person dishing weight loss advice. I sat next to a grotesquely overweight girl in a few English classes in college and when I made a comment about how I needed to start eating better she immediately started in with the advice.

Why would I take advice from her? Why would any young promising pitcher look to Adam Eaton for "vet presence"?

It's sad and pathetic that Eaton was actually "targeted" for awhile. I just chalked it up to picking someone up off the scrap heap at the last minute for added depth.

As for Andino, I agree. Looks like he might be a nice piece.

How anyone can think that Eaton was one defensive mistake from a quality start after watching today is beyond me. He had 100 pitches in 4 innings and in three of those innings there was a rally going. Eaton has better stuff than I thought he did, but he wasn't remotely good today.

I think it tells me the obvious,he thought he could pick up Eaton for the minimum.

Statistically, there was a 50/50 shot we could get 2-3 quality starts out of him and that would be enough to bridge us to bringing up a Bergeson (or someone) all for the min. I doubt he brings any vet expierience.

1) I think its pretty funny to suggest that statisitcal analysis is being ignored by the FO in the case of Eaton. He sucks, and I'm pretty sure they know it.

Then why did they covet him all offseason? And why is Trembley being so abnormaly nice by making up excuses for Eaton's terrible performances? Are we sure Trembley doesn't think Eaton is good? :confused:

How anyone can think that Eaton was one defensive mistake from a quality start after watching today is beyond me. He had 100 pitches in 4 innings and in three of those innings there was a rally going. Eaton has better stuff than I thought he did, but he wasn't remotely good today.

I barely saw any of the game today...I was glued to Masters.

I saw some of the first inning where he had baserunners and got out of it...I think the same thing happened in the second...When I turned it back on, it was 4-0 and he was still pitching.

I believe he allowed 10 baserunners today...Yea, that's not good.

Its nice to see the 6 k's but Tampa was second in the AL in SO and were only 2 behind first...So, that is a team that will strike out a lot..Hell, even Bass had like 4 K's himself and he didn't exactly pitch well.

AM was looking to get as good a cheap fifth starter as possible and his reasoning is fine, IMO.

Our FO/managers did not believe Penn could consistently get out major league hitters. They gave Penn the ball plenty of times in ST and he flopped.

I hope Penn turns things around and makes a nice career for himself. He did not pass the sniff test from our decision-makers and that's that.

No GM talks smack about his current players (sans Kenny Williams). And even though everyone knows that Eaton is only a short-term plug, AM is not going to come out and say that, thereby diminishing all trade value if Eaton in some miraculous way puts together a few nice starts. He said all that he could say about Eaton, that the man put together a track record last year of 50% QS...and that means innings.

Who cares if Eaton wins or loses? AM is just looking for someone to eat innings, good or bad, so that he does not blow his bullpen (where some young talent lies). And in terms of eating innings, Eaton over 2-3 months is probably better than Penn for 2-3 months. AM is guarding his investment in the cavalry that's all, and Penn was not much of a protection policy.

Then why did they covet him all offseason? And why is Trembley being so abnormaly nice by making up excuses for Eaton's terrible performances? Are we sure Trembley doesn't think Eaton is good? :confused:

Right..This wasn't a case where we had injuries, he was out there and they thought, what the hell, let's see what he has.

This is a guy they actually wanted...A guy they earmarked early on and tried to get.

There is no logic behind that idea.

AM talked about how he threw the ball well enough at times in ST...Why was that? Did he actually throw the ball well or did the Orioles just see what they wanted to see since they wanted him on the team?

Archived