Which Povich do we get on Sunday?

Roy Firestone

The youngster has shown us glimpses of dominance, and then, the very next start he is awful. Into the 8th inning against the White Sox with 10 strikeouts and no walks, he pitched one of the best games of ANY Oriole starter this season. But the  start before, against the Dodgers, he was bombed, and the game AFTER his great performance against Chicago he was battered by the Red Sox. We could really use a series win with a good start b Povich against Detroit. But I'm done trying to figure this guy out. He can be great one start and horrible the next. What do you think will be his line on Sunday?

He’s been great at home and awful on the road so that isn’t good but he has been great vs lefties and horrible vs righties and the Tigers are left handed heavy so that is good.  He has been god awful in the day but pretty good at night but the Tigers hit better at night.  So with all that said who the heck knows he is a rookie in his 14th start. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I'm not sure who's saying that Adley was disappointing in his first season; I didn't say that. I just said he struggled badly for 20 games. It's just one data point in a pattern.  People think top prospects should crush the ball like Juan Soto did as soon as they hit the majors.  Sometimes that happens but it's got to be pretty rare, maybe even rarer today than in years past. This also seems directed at someone else, it doesn't have anything to do with what I wrote. My own personal opinion about Holliday and Mayo is that they aren't quite ready.  They're on the Orioles really because of injuries to other players.  Holliday especially has way too much in the way of expectations on his shoulders.  These guys need some more time.   No argument on Holliday, the results clearly tell us he wasn't ready. Mayo I think is falling into the trap of needing consistent PT to get adjusted to the point where he's at least contributing something, and not getting it because the O's can't afford a black hole in the lineup right now. It becomes something of a vicious circle. 
    • I don't think it was giving up the at-bat at all.  Holliday has finally started hitting balls hard again and Slater has looked pretty lost of late.  It was Hyde robotically playing the L-R matchup rather than having a feel for how the game was playing out.  I would bet the Giants were thrilled he made that move.
    • Thats not what I was saying at all. I would argue that pinch hitting Slater was “giving up that at bat” Holliday had hit two balls hard, including one of our only hits to that point. He was the bette option in my opinion for that at bat and the eventual future at bats. 
    • Thanks for the welcome.  I am praying for a miracle that they turn it around, but I am not holding my breath.
    • Rates and Barrels this week mentioned a split reviewing the Orioles that was kind of elegant for many of baseball's numbers revolving around 100 scales. His offensive production rate was ~135 in the good part of his year, and ~65 in the bad part.     The good part is still larger, and B-Ref still has him at 110 overall.     I'd learned some about young Boog Powell's hot and cold streaks earlier this year, and how it probably seemed impossible Age 25 Boog could have a sub-replacement season after being a tremendous young player (and World Series champion) for several years - Adley's kind of compressed that lived experience into the last half season. I'm sure we'll all be enthusiastic listeners to whatever Roch has to retroactively tell us once it is all over.    Adley's a star in the game on the level of Carlos Correa, who ended up having to rest his fascia two full months to push as best he can for a few weeks or more.    We'll get a good view how those two guys seasons will wind up.
    • A definite "Murphy's law" game. We lost at least two runs to McCann's botched play at the plate and bad umpiring on the Kjerstad HBP call. Add Cedric's K with 1st/2nd no out and we lose another winnable game. Feels like we have to hit bottom at some point but we face Webb today and the schedule doesn't get easier. 
  • Popular Contributors