G Rod in the pen

Big Al

9 hours ago, Br10n said:

If it doesn’t happen I will be confused.

If it doesn't happen, it means he had a setback in his recovery. 

My only concern with Grod in the pen is the last time he had mechanical issues initally when he came back from his lat injury. I'd really like to see him pitch a few times before a playoff game, but not sure they will have time.

12 minutes ago, Big Al said:

The lights out closer we’ve been missing since August 2023. 

I have zero confidence that he'd be that.  Grayson has had a 5.40 ERA in his first inning of work this year, his worst of the first five innings of the game.   He's never come into a game to close it, or really pitched in relief at all.   He hasn't faced a batter in a game in two months.   To me it would be crazy to have him try to close a playoff game in these circumstances.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I have zero confidence that he'd be that.  Grayson has had a 5.40 ERA in his first inning of work this year, his worst of the first five innings of the game.   He's never come into a game to close it, or really pitched in relief at all.   He hasn't faced a batter in a game in two months.   To me it would be crazy to have him try to close a playoff game in these circumstances.

He also arguably gets better each time through the order, both of the last 2 years. His stuff is elite though even as a starter so would be interesting to see how it plays out of the pen. He would likely better be used as a bulk reliever (like the Tigers have done) or an opener.

Seems like they will probably just shut him down at this point. Mayyybe he gets a look in the final series and then faces hitters in Sarasota, and then if the O's make it to the next round, he's an option for something. That all seems doubtful though. 

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Seems like they will probably just shut him down at this point. Mayyybe he gets a look in the final series and then faces hitters in Sarasota, and then if the O's make it to the next round, he's an option for something. That all seems doubtful though. 

Yeah, I think he's not going to be available for the first round of the playoffs. If he can throw some simulated innings in Sarasota, then maybe he would be available for bullpen help in round 2. But even that sounds like a big stretch. 

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm on the same page here.  

Last year he was solid in the first inning (3.13 ERA) and second inning (2.74). He hasn't been nearly as effective in those innings this year: 5.40 (1st), 4.05 (2nd).

I just don't see the benefit of putting Grayson in a role he's not familiar with, without an idea of how healthy he may not be, and without an idea of how effective he'd even be.

Shut him down, let him heal, come back hopefully stronger and healthy next year.  

Edited by LookitsPuck