Burnes named Game 1 ALWC starter

eddie83

8 hours ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

How is the extra hitter just "a possibility" for the WC roster?

If you can't get through 3 (at most) games with 12 pitchers, you're either doing something wrong or you desperately need to spend heavily on adding better pitchers in the offseason.

Last year, of 8 WC teams:

- 5 went with 12 pitchers

- 2 went with 11 pitchers

- 1 went with 13 pitchers

I expect the Orioles to go with 12 pitchers. Given how Detroit mixes and matches pitching, we need to have enough platoon options.  

I do think there is value in having more pitchers, even if it’s just an extra guy for mop up duty that saves pen in blowout game 2 so we aren’t running on fumes in game 3. However, I think 14 position players and 12 pitchers is the right balance for the wild card series.

9 hours ago, Warehouse said:

Last year, of 8 WC teams:

- 5 went with 12 pitchers

- 2 went with 11 pitchers

- 1 went with 13 pitchers

I expect the Orioles to go with 12 pitchers. Given how Detroit mixes and matches pitching, we need to have enough platoon options.  

I do think there is value in having more pitchers, even if it’s just an extra guy for mop up duty that saves pen in blowout game 2 so we aren’t running on fumes in game 3. However, I think 14 position players and 12 pitchers is the right balance for the wild card series.

You only need 3 of your 5 SPs to actually start games, so you should be able to carry at least one of your 4/5 SPs as a potential bulk guy, if not both. For a max 3 game series (and a max 5 game ALDS too, IMO), that should be more than enough unless, like I said, you are doing something wrong or really need to buy some quality pitching this winter.

In the shorter playoff series, being able to counter an extra opposing bullpen move in the late innings is far more valuable than carrying another (likely mediocre) RP.