Os vs KC in WC round

Sports Guy

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm looking at the options available.

You bringing someone in?

No- I'm not sure we have that option on our roster unfortunately. Hence why he is the every day 1B. Doesnt change the fact that Mountcastle is probably best suited in that type of situation. 

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Holliday not pinch running may have been a mistake.  I get that you have to to an experienced player to play first but maybe Holliday distracts him?  Maybe he gets a steal and changes the inning?

Or not having Forrest Wall or my personal hobby horse EBJ rather than a 9th reliever at the team's disposal for precisely that circumstance.

Rivera didn't get used, right?   He could have been the 10th inning 1B if a faster runner could score to tie the game.

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You did see what the defense looked like with him out right?

You think O'Hearn makes that double play?

My snap reaction to that good moment was good thing we had Mountcastle the Throws Right and the left handed glove guy there.

Conventionally, Throws Left is favorable for a 1B, but on that play I don't know even if O'Hearn's reflexes were equal (I doubt they are) he would have had time to get the glove across his body.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, terpoh said:

Thats a possibility. I also think Hyde looks at Mountcastle as his every day 1B, not a platoon guy like he probably should be.

I think Lugo is a particularly bad matchup for Mountcastle so he may sit.

18 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Or not having Forrest Wall or my personal hobby horse EBJ rather than a 9th reliever at the team's disposal for precisely that circumstance.

Rivera didn't get used, right?   He could have been the 10th inning 1B if a faster runner could score to tie the game.

Rivera hit for McCann. 

21 minutes ago, terpoh said:

No- I'm not sure we have that option on our roster unfortunately. Hence why he is the every day 1B. Doesnt change the fact that Mountcastle is probably best suited in that type of situation. 

Most guys have some degree of platoon split, you can't platoon all of them.

Gunnar has a 719 OPS against LHP, you gonna platoon him?

If a better option for Mountcastle appears, you take it, but you don't make it a priority.

18 minutes ago, DrinkinWithFermi said:

He pinch hit for McCann in the 6th or 7th. 

Not sure why, but he did.

Thanks.   I see in box score we did burn Rivera in the part I missed.

Had O'Hearn be removed for Holliday's speed and the game tied, I guess Top of the 10th inning you have to go like RF Slater, 1B Santander, or 2B Holliday, 1B Westburg.

But I grew up with C Sakata, 2B Lowenstein, 3B Roenicke if you have to go Offense for Defense to tie a game, and that was before an actor depicting Ron Washington entertainingly told Chris Pratt 1B is hard in a movie scene.

They mentioned on the broadcast that in 14/16 three game WC series, the team to win game 1 won the series. I was curious what the counterexamples were. They were both in 2020 when there were eight such series because of the expanded field. 

Oakland lost G1 at home to Chicago 4-1 in the 2v7 seed matchup. Shut down by Lucas Giolito. Then won G2 and G3 5-3 and 6-4. 

SD lost G1 at home to St. Louis 7-4 in the 4v5. Then won 11-9 in G2 after being down four in the middle innings, and pitched a 4-0 shutout in a G3 bullpen game. 

Is it possible tomorrow we come through and tie the series?  Who the H***** is KC?  They aren't a world beater, they have the same pressure as us.  We shouldn't choke against a 106 loss team in 2023.  I can understand we choke against the Yankees, but the Royals, come on give me a break???