Rutschman 2nd half OPS .585 - McCann’s 2nd half OPS .785

KojiSplit

I knew Rutschman’s numbers were bad in the 2nd half but taking a closer look they were even worse than I thought.

Adley 3 HRs the entire 2nd half in 208 at bats (20 RBI)

McCann hit 5 HRs in 84 at bats (18 RBI)

Rutsch hit .132! in July, .229 in August and .214 in September.

Doesn’t help his pitch framing was awful as well. Additionally, only threw out 19% of base stealers - 19 caught steals, 82 successful steals against him.

McCann was slightly better throwing out 24% of runners.

With Westburg back, there really isn’t any reason to keep plugging Rutschman in the 2 spot.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, KojiSplit said:

I knew Rutschman’s numbers were bad in the 2nd half but taking a closer look they were even worse than I thought.

Adley 3 HRs the entire 2nd half in 208 at bats (20 RBI)

McCann hit 5 HRs in 84 at bats (18 RBI)

Rutsch hit .132! in July, .229 in August and .214 in September.

Doesn’t help his pitch framing was awful as well. Additionally, only threw out 19% of base stealers - 19 caught steals, 82 successful steals against him.

McCann was slightly better throwing out 24% of runners.

With Westburg back, there really isn’t any reason to keep plugging Rutschman in the 2 spot.

He's obviously a better hitter than that, I suspect something is bothering him and we'll find out after the season. Lobbing the SB on Rutschman is a bit disingenuous, our pitchers are basically letting the runner get halfway to 2B before they even start the windup. 

I'll be happy when the ABS system goes in, because an umpire who is supposed to be watching the ball and not the catcher's glove, framing shouldn't even be a thing.

Edited by Malike
  • Upvote 1

It’s also worth noting that the team had a better record when McCann caught (37-26, .587) than when Adley did (54-45, .545).   That’s partly because Adley hit much better as a DH (.854 OPS) than as a catcher (.650, compared to McCann’s .667).   The team also had a slightly better ERA with McCann (3.89) than Adley (3.98).   Of course, of his 63 starts he caught Burnes 15 times, and Eflin 7 times, so he caught those two in 35% of his starts, while Adley caught them in only 19 of his 99 starts, or 19% of the time.   That skews things in McCann’s favor.  

In any event, we’ll certainly see a good bit of McCann in the playoffs, I expect.   

I can't believe that this slump is due to an injury.

Just by the fact that he plays one of the most physically demanding positions, is almost proof to me that he's not suffering from an undisclosed injury. If he can squat up and down 50 times a night in the course of a ballgame, he's not real hurt.

9 minutes ago, catseyepub said:

I can't believe that this slump is due to an injury.

Just by the fact that he plays one of the most physically demanding positions, is almost proof to me that he's not suffering from an undisclosed injury. If he can squat up and down 50 times a night in the course of a ballgame, he's not real hurt.

If he’s hurt, it’s most likely a lingering hand injury.   He’s denied it, and so has Hyde.  I’m talking them at their word, but it’s certainly mysterious why Adley would suddenly stop hitting after 2.5 years of very consistent performance.   

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s also worth noting that the team had a better record when McCann caught (37-26, .587) than when Adley did (54-45, .545).   That’s partly because Adley hit much better as a DH (.854 OPS) than as a catcher (.650, compared to McCann’s .667).   The team also had a slightly better ERA with McCann (3.89) than Adley (3.98).   Of course, of his 63 starts he caught Burnes 15 times, and Eflin 7 times, so he caught those two in 35% of his starts, while Adley caught them in only 19 of his 99 starts, or 19% of the time.   That skews things in McCann’s favor.  

In any event, we’ll certainly see a good bit of McCann in the playoffs, I expect.   

You have to wonder why the best two starters pitch to McCann more. That can't just be a coincidence. 

14 minutes ago, osfan83 said:

Right now McCann is the better catcher all around. He should start a most playoff games. 

The problem will be when they DH Adley, instead of a better hitter. For some reason they are putting him above the team by continuing to keep him in the five in the lineup.

21 minutes ago, gamiliel said:

The problem will be when they DH Adley, instead of a better hitter. For some reason they are putting him above the team by continuing to keep him in the five in the lineup.

He’s becoming the biggest hole in this line up because, he won’t be treated like others and lose playing time when he slumps. We really need for him to get going

19 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You have to wonder why the best two starters pitch to McCann more. That can't just be a coincidence. 

Or, it could be.   

Adley caught 61% of the games.   For Burnes, he caught him 53% of the time.   Not really such a big discrepancy there.  We’re talking 2-3 more  starts with McCann than his share.   That easily could be a coincidence.  

Eflin on the other hand worked with McCann in 7 of 9 starts, including his first 6.   That’s probably not a coincidence.  He won his first 5 starts as an Oriole, pitching extremely well in all 5, so my guess is that Hyde didn’t want to mess with what was working,  Then he lost his next outing, also with McCann behind the plate, and then Hyde gave Adley two shots with him, both of which were very good outings.   Then McCann caught Eflin’s final start, which wasn’t a great one.   

With the lefty Ragans on the mound for game one, I won’t be surprised if McCann catches Burnes that game.  

5 minutes ago, Safelykept said:

He’s becoming the biggest hole in this line up because, he won’t be treated like others and lose playing time when he slumps. We really need for him to get going

He did in fact play significantly less in the second half.  He had 4 games off in the first 81 games, 10 games off in the second  81.