Injuries have sucked, the pen has been an issue but is Adley the biggest problem?

Sports Guy

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, and I think it's one of the bigger question marks going into next year.

It's hard to believe this second half form is his true self. But even if he's somewhere between this and his prior level-- that gives a lower ability to be an elite team, and less wiggle room to even be a contending team. 

Maybe it'll create a Buy Low moment for a LTC in our Always Be Arbitraging world.

I don't believe he forgot how to play ball.    I get why teams dissemble, but it will be tough to hear if or when the moment comes.

Maybe a bad knock on effect of McCann's famous bloody face "I pride myself on being tough" episode.    It would have maybe cost some face to take 10 days for a back strain, bruised wrist, whatever.

Sean Murphy's been down in the bottom third of Atlanta's injury depleted lineup during a run about this bad.

At least one and hopefully two elimination games coming down the pipe fast.

13 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

Individually? Yes. Collectively, it’s the utter lack of situational hitting, with the pitching not being much better. 

Even with a 5 WAR Adley, they aren’t much better off with their current situational hitting. 

Thing is they were great last year with RISP. Game 1 of playoffs was a heartbreaker but they got beat bad the next two. 

We all saw what we saw down the stretch. It takes just one game to flip the script. They need to do it. 

22 minutes ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

Maybe his terrible play makes it seems worse, but has he put on 50 pounds? He looks like he’s aged about 7 or 8 years. Some people just age quicker than others unfortunately. 

Who’s got the better physique right now, Creed or Adley?

I mean, we have months worth of data where he just fell off a cliff. But we have 2.5 seasons of data showing he’s better than these last couple months. I’ve gotta imagine it’s some nagging injury.

That said, if he’s his first half self…yeah, they win the division. But in the end, Hyde and Elias know his performance. They don’t need to bat him high. They don’t need to start him at DH. Other guys aren’t stepping up. And they aren’t stepping up when it matters.

5 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

I mean, we have months worth of data where he just fell off a cliff. But we have 2.5 seasons of data showing he’s better than these last couple months. I’ve gotta imagine it’s some nagging injury.

That said, if he’s his first half self…yeah, they win the division. But in the end, Hyde and Elias know his performance. They don’t need to bat him high. They don’t need to start him at DH. Other guys aren’t stepping up. And they aren’t stepping up when it matters.

Its just been so hard to watch since Mid-June. Adley and the entire roster. Are Adley's struggles the biggest issue? No idea, but its certainly played a big role in our demise. 

48 minutes ago, ace20251 said:

yes,Gunnar and McCann went 0-4 with men in scoring position today,Adley is definitely the only issue for this team

Adley has been terrible for 3 months.  Gunnar has struggled here and there over the same time period but has still been good.  Adley's decline since July is one of the biggest problems for the Orioles if not the biggest.  

On top of that Adley has great career numbers against Ragans.  Gunnar does not. 

I’d lump Adley into a group of stars/star caliber players not performing.   Gunnar has been awfully pedestrian since 7/1.  

The role players and depth pieces have been pretty fantastic. 

The stars/group of stars just did not come through and carry the team like it needed.