Injuries have sucked, the pen has been an issue but is Adley the biggest problem?

Sports Guy

46 minutes ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

Maybe his terrible play makes it seems worse, but has he put on 50 pounds? He looks like he’s aged about 7 or 8 years. Some people just age quicker than others unfortunately. 

I was wondering about conditioning too, though maybe that's related to a possible injury?  Whatever it is I just wish they would stop DHing him until next season.  

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

54 minutes ago, Sanfran327 said:

One of the big outlets alluded to a mid season hand injury. Though I have watched over 150 games, I can’t pinpoint the incident, though an injury or some sort makes sense. A player of his caliber doesn’t fall off a cliff for no reason. 

I think he got hit by a pitch in June - pretty sure I saw a speculative video on that.

Interesting stats on a quick glance that jumped out a bit:

92 BB '23

58 BB '24 This seemed a glaring change. 

50 more PA this year, but 20 fewer hits than last year. 

HR about the same

10 fewer doubles this year.

OPS a hundred points lower. 

1 hour ago, Teddy OBP said:

Don’t you think it’s likely he’s hiding an injury? I feel like we’re going to hear something about his hand the day after the season ends.

Stop...Anytime someone ask, both Adley and Hyde says there's absolutely no injury. He's just not as good as we were hoping. 

1 hour ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

Maybe his terrible play makes it seems worse, but has he put on 50 pounds? He looks like he’s aged about 7 or 8 years. Some people just age quicker than others unfortunately. 

Did he age between June and July?

53 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think he is hurting. He looked a little better the last week. Hope he pops tomorrow.  

That said big picture wise how good he is will have a big say how good this team is. 

No, he really hasn’t. The last 7 games he played in the regular season, he was 8-for-35 with a .556 OPS. He hit a couple doubles, but that was it. He seems better after getting on base two or three times in a game, but then he’s such a non-entity the next few games that it’s easy to forget he was even there. 

I think his hand injury sustained late June against Texas sapped his power. Whatever the reason, we’ve been a losing ballclub ever since. 

An odd thing about Adley’s slump: he struck out 65 times in the first three months of the season and 38 times in the last three months.  He was hitting the ball more often, but just wasn’t squaring it up.  I wish I could explain it, but I can’t.  I just hope the problem is solved over the winter.  

1 minute ago, Ripken said:

On a long list of concerns, Adley is the biggest one.  Elias has a ton of work to do in the off season.  I hope he's capable but I have my doubts, even with an increased budget.

It’s depressing to think of the offseason but yeah, that’s where we’re at. Very disappointing year.