Elias: Hyde will be back

Sports Guy

6 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

I don’t have a problem with this. If they don’t make the playoffs next season or win a series, then that’s probably all she wrote. With a good offseason and better injury fortune, there won’t be any excuses next year. 

Now this agree with. He gets sort of a pass for this year and let’s face it, he generally did a good job. Tons of injuries…yet you still win 91 games and make the playoffs. Your rotation was top 5 in ERA. Offensive numbers were good. Navigated the pen ok. One of the better pinch hitting teams in baseball. 

Not much to say, get rid of him.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Now this agree with. He gets sort of a pass for this year and let’s face it, he generally did a job. Tons of injuries…yet you still win 91 games and make the playoffs. Your rotation was top 5 in ERA. Offensive numbers were . Navigated the pen ok. One of the better pinch hitting teams in baseball. 

I dont think it world series win or bust for Hyde. Possibly another playoff sweep would get him axed.

Playoffs 3 years in a row won't be easy especially in our division. I expect the Blue Jays to be better and Red Sox were in the thick of things this past season. Rays always somehow manage to bounce back. Hyde better hope this team is firing on all cylinders a lot of year and the right moves are made in the offeason/deadline.

I am not in the camp that the organization needs to go full scorched earth this offseason as some here are.  I am concerned about Hyde as the manager going forward though.  There were a lot of rumblings during the middle of the season about club house issues which falls squarely on Hyde to correct.  The way the team stumbled through the second half doesn't give me much confidence they were corrected.  Second and probably my biggest concern is that now Hyde is 0-5 as an MLB Manager in the playoffs, 4 of those 5 games have been played at home with a team that was favored to win the series.

I think we all agree the roster needs a little work this off season but there is also a great young core here to build around that will not be here forever.  I don't want to waste these years with a manager who may not be capable of winning playoff games.  I hope the leash is short. 

Edited by RVAOsFan

11 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Now this agree with. He gets sort of a pass for this year and let’s face it, he generally did a good job. Tons of injuries…yet you still win 91 games and make the playoffs. Your rotation was top 5 in ERA. Offensive numbers were good. Navigated the pen ok. One of the better pinch hitting teams in baseball. 

You make a lot of great points here, my biggest concern is being swept out of the first round in the playoffs in back to back seasons against teams we were favored to beat.  This is the time of year great managers get the most from there team by getting them ready to play the most meaningful games. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

You make a lot of great points here, my biggest concern is being swept out of the first round in the playoffs in back to back seasons against teams we were favored to beat.  This is the time of year great managers get the most from there team by getting them ready to play the most meaningful games. 

Well he got a lot of the pitching and defense. I don’t know what he can do about the clutch hitting to get more out of them. This was talked about a lot before but when your best players are performing poorly, it’s really tough to overcome that.  I don’t see that as a Hyde issue.

10 minutes ago, justD said:

If they decide to keep Hyde, fine, but clearly something is wrong with the offensive strategy.  You have to take into consideration whether or not the players you're telling to take a certain approach are hard-wired for that approach, and if not, you gotta switch up your strategy.  You can't keep hoping that the human beings that are the players will conform to your statistical models, "trusting the process" and crossing your fingers that at some point, everything will prove the models correct.  

I feel like this logic can be taken the other way. The offense was excellent for the first half, where they stuck to the process. Is it telling them to try to move runners over and do situational hitting the part they're not hard-wired for? Felt like the players started pressing and tried to force things instead of just sticking to what worked in the first half. Which can happen when Eloy Jimenez and Austin Slater are hitting after you instead of Jordan Westburg.

Basically these coaches have been here for three years. I don't know what the right thing is to do with them, but I do think they should be evaluated on the whole sample and not just the last 3 months or the last two days. I don't think the problem this series was that the hitters stuck stubbornly to their approach and failed... I think they did not follow the approach and they choked under pressure.

• Upvote 1

Finishing with a 91-71 , and make postseason as # 4 is nothing to sneeze at . And considering the circumstances as well .  But yes , it’s hard to ignore being swept at home by KC and by Tex in postseason . 

My question 🙋‍♂️ is……..how long is the leash ? 

2 minutes ago, Allan Bryant said:

Finishing with a 91-71 , and make postseason as # 4 is nothing to sneeze at . And considering the circumstances as well .  But yes , it’s hard to ignore being swept at home by KC and by Tex in postseason . 

My question 🙋‍♂️ is……..how long is the leash ? 

The leash is one more year IMO. 

59 minutes ago, interloper said:

No surprise there. Silly idea that people wanted him fired in the first place IMO. 

I'm not surprised either, but it's not a silly thought at all.  Breaking up existing institutional relationships can be effective and even necessary sometimes.  I'm not saying it's kind, and I have no idea if the O's need exactly that, but the more I think about what went wrong this season, the more I like the idea of some fresh voices developing this incredibly talented core of players.

• Upvote 1

There’s one more question about Hyde . If Mr Rubinstein expands team’s payroll by extending Burnes, investment in FA starters/relief and proven established hitter(s) , and Hyde still gets swept next postseason ?  It’s hard to see Ruby and Elias being acceptable in Hyde 

There are concerns with this team top to bottom. In my judgement, Hyde is not close to number one. We need a personnel and philosophy retooling that starts with players and includes offensive coaching. Both Hyde and Elias are on notice - the latter more so because he is the architect who puts this all together. This off season is a brand new template. New owner - perhaps new philosophy - new chance to get it better. It will be interesting and telling to see what Hyde is given to work with come next spring. If nothing changes, I don't care who manages, the results IMO, won't change.