Who Stays and Who Goes Early Guess

Carllamy

Don't Know: Coumbe and Suarez. Both are old, but both are relatively cheap and hope that they might produce at least something close to what they did this year isn't too farfetched.

Stays: Cano, Dominguez, Eflin, Kremer, Povich, Akin (cheap), Selby (cheap), Soto, Webb, Rutschman, Holiday, Urias, Westburg, Cowser, Kjerstad, Mullins, Bradish, Wells, Rodriguez.

Gone: Burnes, Perez, McCann, Mountcastle, O'Hearn, Rivera, Santander, Slater, Means, and the "Did he play on this team" winner Burch Smith.

I wouldn't mind keeping Perez and he shouldn't cost much. Burnes I'd love to keep but not going to happen, the rest are fine to leave. I really want them to focus on speed and more athleticism. Being able to go 1st to 3rd on singles is huge, along with stolen bases to be able to produce runs in other ways besides HRs.

7 minutes ago, Carllamy said:

Don't Know: Coumbe and Suarez. Both are old, but both are relatively cheap and hope that they might produce at least something close to what they did this year isn't too farfetched.

Stays: Cano, Dominguez, Eflin, Kremer, Povich, Akin (cheap), Selby (cheap), Soto, Webb, Rutschman, Holiday, Urias, Westburg, Cowser, Kjerstad, Mullins, Bradish, Wells, Rodriguez.

Gone: Burnes, Perez, McCann, Mountcastle, O'Hearn, Rivera, Santander, Slater, Means, and the "Did he play on this team" winner Burch Smith.

DC is definitely back.

I think it’s pretty obvious that they need another TOR starter. I’d pencil Rodriguez, Eflin, Kremer, and an external 1-3 SP in. The 5th spot is up for grabs. The bullpen and position player decisions should be a lot more interesting. 

For the pen, Bautista should be back but they should add another backend arm. I would let Soto or Perez go and would lean towards keeping Soto. They both have control issues but Soto has better stuff and gets more K’s. The bullpen looks like they will be decent next year, especially if they add another external piece. 

Bautista

Coulombe 

*FA Signing/Trade*

Cano

Dominguez

Webb

Soto/Perez

Akin

Their lineup is extremely LHH heavy right now. They need to add a starting caliber OF’er (along with keeping Slater or adding a RHH OF bench piece). Elias said that 1B is a viable option for Mayo. That clearly puts Mountcastle’s spot in jeopardy and is probably good news for O’Hearn. I don’t know if Kjerstad and Mayo can coexist on the same roster with their defensive limitations. I would not be surprised to see Kjerstad dealt. Keeping him as the everyday RF’er likely means 2 of Cowser/Mullins/Kjerstad are playing every day against LHP’s too, and you’re getting terrible defense in RF. 

So pretty much, I think Holliday replaces Urias’ spot in the lineup and at 2B, and Mayo takes Mountcastle’s role. Slater is fine as a 4th OF’er but they need to add a starting RF that is a MOO bat and ideally RH. Kjerstad chases more, whiffs more, and will hit for less power than Santander while still being bad defensively. They need a calming MOO presence that will give them professional AB’s, and while he’s good, he’s not that. 

8 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

I think it’s pretty obvious that they need another TOR starter. I’d pencil Rodriguez, Eflin, Kremer, and an external 1-3 SP in. The 5th spot is up for grabs. The bullpen and position player decisions should be a lot more interesting. 

For the pen, Bautista should be back but they should add another backend arm. I would let Soto or Perez go and would lean towards keeping Soto. They both have control issues but Soto has better stuff and gets more K’s. The bullpen looks like they will be decent next year, especially if they add another external piece. 

Bautista

Coulombe 

*FA Signing/Trade*

Cano

Dominguez

Webb

Soto/Perez

Akin

Their lineup is extremely LHH heavy right now. They need to add a starting caliber OF’er (along with keeping Slater or adding a RHH OF bench piece). Elias said that 1B is a viable option for Mayo. That clearly puts Mountcastle’s spot in jeopardy and is probably good news for O’Hearn. I don’t know if Kjerstad and Mayo can coexist on the same roster with their defensive limitations. I would not be surprised to see Kjerstad dealt. Keeping him as the everyday RF’er likely means 2 of Cowser/Mullins/Kjerstad are playing every day against LHP’s too, and you’re getting terrible defense in RF. 

So pretty much, I think Holliday replaces Urias’ spot in the lineup and at 2B, and Mayo takes Mountcastle’s role. Slater is fine as a 4th OF’er but they need to add a starting RF that is a MOO bat and ideally RH. Kjerstad chases more, whiffs more, and will hit for less power than Santander while still being bad defensively. They need a calming MOO presence that will give them professional AB’s, and while he’s good, he’s not that. 

What does MOO mean?

I see almost zero chance that Dominguez isn’t brought back. He was their highest leverage reliever once he was acquired. He threw 24.1 IP total, with an 11.2 K/9 rate and a 3.73 ERA. They need more arms like him. Having him in the 7th or 8th inning in front of Bautista is a luxury. He’s also their only reliever with playoff success.

59 minutes ago, Carllamy said:

I don't see why we wouldn't want Coulombe back.

I am unclear whether Suarez is a free agent. If we have control we should bring him back as well. 

I think there is enough uncertainty with Mayo, both offensively and defensively, that we should keep one of O'Hearn and Mountcastle. As I said on another thread, O'Hearn has one of the lowest K rates on the team. He showed up decently in playoffs (1 for 2 with pinch hit BB). However, Mountcastle is better defensively. 

I think we should nontender one of Perez and Soto. Soto is more expensive but I think he is better. Would like to keep him. 

I could see Slater coming back. He played well and we probably need two RHB in the outfield. 

This would be external and not sure if he’s available, but Lars Nootbar would be a good add. Upgrade defensively, low chase and whiff rate, high OBP. They need a RHH and he’s a lefty, but he does not have major splits. A MOO bat would be nice but his skill set and approach is probably more needed. 

I think you shop Mullins. He should have some value on the trade market with team looking to contend next year. Maybe try to get a decent RH 4th OF type w/ some speed and bat to ball skills and team control.

Then try to get Bradfield on track to come up in the second half of the season.