Wieters

VC@WilliamMary

One thing that I'm curious about is how Boras is working this whole deadline thing logistically.

He's got several irons in the fire here -- including 2 of the top 5 picks (Wieters and Moustakas) -- and both figure to come down to the wire. I can envision a cellphone on each ear, and 3 more sitting on the desk with voices on the other end waiting.

• Replies 442
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Again, I see it both ways.

Look at the article that spawned this thread. Varitek didn't get signed when drafted in 1993 but it didn't hurt his leverage or draft status in 1994....so while I see the reasoning behind your statement, I don't find it to be 100% true.

Sure it did. He lost two years of development time and never ended up getting the big bonus he was holding out for. The Mariners lowballed him. From a 1994 Sports Illustrated article:

At issue is the Mariners' unwillingness to budge from the $400, 000 signing bonus they offered Varitek on July 7. Varitek is asking for $850,000, a tidy sum but in line with the bonuses paid other first-rounders. The K.C. Royals paid the 16th player selected in the draft, first baseman Matt Smith, a cool million, and the average signing bonus of the 10th through 18th picks was $835,000.

Seattle's defense of its lowball offer is, frankly, indefensible. Based on a highly suspect sampling of previous drafts, the Mariners determined that college seniors sign for 35% less than similarly ranked non-seniors. Because Varitek had no college eligibility remaining and because the Mariners owned his rights until the next draft, they figured he would have to accept their $400,000 offer. Taking such unfair advantage of a senior plays into the hands of those who would argue that baseball's draft, indeed all sports drafts, should be abolished.

You can't look at all those factors and sit there and feel 100% good about this happening.

Did I say that I felt good about this? Nonchalant? I'm just going by the facts. The deadline is Wednesday, 11:59 pm.

The reports could be posturing by either side - we just don't know.

Sure it did. He lost two years of development time and never ended up getting the big bonus he was holding out for. The Mariners lowballed him. From a 1994 Sports Illustrated article:

Right, but if my memory serves me correctly Varitek was drafted 21st in 1993 and then drafted 14th in 1994. So while the Mariners used the fact that he ran out of eligibility against him to get him to sign for lower, he did go higher in the draft which should have netted him more money.

Wieters could conceivably go to an independent league, right? Who knows what his draft stock would be next year...probably lower, but whatever.

Brilliant logic. Are you serious? Do you know how far apart these negotiations are?

Monday is pretty much over. What evidence do you have to make you feel so confident that this is going to happen by Wednesday? This is by no means an easy thing.

Do you? Seriously, this entire board is jumping overboard for absolutely no reason. Yet.;)

Right, but if my memory serves me correctly Varitek was drafted 21st in 1993 and then drafted 14th in 1994. So while the Mariners used the fact that he ran out of eligibility against him to get him to sign for lower, he did go higher in the draft which should have netted him more money.

Wieters could conceivably go to an independent league, right? Who knows what his draft stock would be next year...probably lower, but whatever.

Wieters would almost assuredly go back to GT if he doesn't sign with the O's.

Do you? Seriously, this entire board is jumping overboard for absolutely no reason. Yet.;)

Well, they don't appear to be close. And I'm sorry, but I'll take Rosenthal's word and Roch's impressions over pretty much anyone here and their insiders.

Here’s what we don’t know: Whether the Orioles will get a deal done with first-round pick Matt Wieters. Reports that they have one in place and are ready to make an announcement appear to be false. Really, really false. Talks continue. And time is running out - along with my optimism.

No knock on Andy MacPhail, but I’d feel better about the Orioles securing the Georgia Tech catcher if someone else was handling the negotiations.

MacPhail, for better or worse, is not going to be overly generous when it comes to signing bonuses. The commissioner’s office wants to keep them down, and MacPhail’s not going to fight it. Not with his background.

He’ll be fair, but I’m not sure fair gets it done. Stay tuned.

From Roch's blog. That bothers me, a lot.

I just know better to get my hopes up when it comes to the O's and a few million dollars being spent the right way.

I think I can speak for sane people everywhere when I summarize the Weiters situation as follows:

1. "We Just Don't Know Yet, Do We?"

2. "And We Probably Won't Know Until Wednesday".

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled pre-deadline heart attack marathon...

Guest oriofan8

Would anyone expect a "top of the line" Boras client to sign before the deadline? Why would they NOT squeeze every dime out of the time alloted? I don't know if this gets done or not...but I figure Boras says...let it ride until the "last minute" and we'll get the most $$$. Even if they would do the deal thats "on the table"...if they wait it out...they got nothing to lose, and everything to gain..... Just figures....hope I'm right.

That is correct. But where he gets picked in the draft doesn't matter much since he'll looking for well above slot money. He very well could be drafted by a team who takes the approach that he's not going to sit out another year and could low-ball him. Unless the O's really do lowball him it'd be a terrible risk/reward decision for him to wait and try his luck next year.

Well, they don't appear to be close. And I'm sorry, but I'll take Rosenthal's word and Roch's impressions over pretty much anyone here and their insiders.

From Roch's blog. That bothers me, a lot.

I just know better to get my hopes up when it comes to the O's and a few million dollars being spent the right way.

Moose, you are far too intelligent to get sucked into the fear-mongering going on here, it is almost like you are a loyal Bushie.;)

Archived