Hyde: No Idea if Suarez Will Be Back

Aristotelian

Not sure if this has been stated anywhere. But I was confused whether Suarez will be a free agent since he does not have six years of service time. Hyde is quoted in this article saying no idea if Suarez will be back or not. So I assume this means he is in fact a free agent.

I am guessing it would take a Kyle Gibson type of deal and the O's won't go to $10M for a 35 year old who had a great year but wore down on September 

https://www.si.com/mlb/orioles/news/baltimore-orioles-skipper-has-no-idea-if-breakout-star-will-return

11 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

MLBTR article described it as minor league contract. I guess he was a free agent. Does it make a difference if he was international?

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/12/orioles-sign-michael-perez-albert-suarez-to-minor-league-deals.html

I Brought this up in August, but was corrected by several posters. It was a one year 740,00 guaranteed contract

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

He was nice for the situation this season. I would not want him penciled into next year’s roster though.

A pitcher with his ability should be a guy with options.

I find this take interesting. Why do you think that? It seems to me that he had a solid year. His year seems to be as good as Kremer's and his rWAR is much better. AS 2.1 - DK 0.5. I'd like to have him back even if it is for the bullpen. I'd say I would pencil him in but he'd have to keep his spot during ST. 

5 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I find this take interesting. Why do you think that? It seems to me that he had a solid year. His year seems to be as good as Kremer's and his rWAR is much better. AS 2.1 - DK 0.5. I'd like to have him back even if it is for the bullpen. I'd say I would pencil him in but he'd have to keep his spot during ST. 

He's a major asset when he costs $750k but not so much if he costs $5-10M and we have guys like McDermott and Young ready, with options remaining in case they struggle. If we pay Suarez $8M and he struggles like he did in September, would we have the guts to DFA him? 

1 hour ago, DirtyBird said:

He was nice for the situation this season. I would not want him penciled into next year’s roster though.

A pitcher with his ability should be a guy with options.

Yep.

Great story and I’m good with him here if they move some pitchers I don’t expect them to move but I don’t believe he is a must keep at all.

The thing that I believe is missing in some of these discussions is that the Os only have so many roster spots available next year and you need to upgrade the team. You can’t keep everyone because if you do, you can’t make the team better from outside the org and they need to do that.

6 minutes ago, MCO'sFan said:

I think his overall results were mostly smoke and mirrors. And as soon as he reached about 100 innings as a starter, the results were terrible. And I don't think he can strike enough guys out to pitch out of the pen.

He would be fine if he had options and could be used as needed, but I wouldn't want him consuming a spot on the 26 all season.

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

He's a major asset when he costs $750k but not so much if he costs $5-10M and we have guys like McDermott and Young ready, with options remaining in case they struggle. If we pay Suarez $8M and he struggles like he did in September, would we have the guts to DFA him? 

Really good points, but some body going to pay more than Minimum. Also he has no options.

He was most likely out of gas by the end of the year.  He had over 200 innings in a 10 month span between Winter ball, spring training, minors and majors.  The question will be cost.  He doesn't have the track record of a guy like Gibson so i dont see him getting 10 million or close to that but some teams need arms so might over pay to get him and if it works out you deal him at the deadline.  I think he will get somewhere in the 3 to 5 million range on the open market so cheap enough but the question is how much do we want to upgrade the pitching talent.  We have a decent amount of good pitchers but a small amount of elite guys imo.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Safelykept said:

I Brought this up in August, but was corrected by several posters. It was a one year 740,00 guaranteed contract

I am also confused. Here is his page on Spotrac which seems to imply that he is under the O's control and pre-arb. 

Screen Shot 2024-10-07 at 10.02.08.png