Offseason Trade Pondering

Roll Tide

25 minutes ago, theobird said:

What do you think Crochet would cost in prospects? I’m guessing that the prospect pipeline would take a major hit.

I’m guessing they ask for Mayo or Basallo of Kjerstad. For me …I’d give them Kjerstad since he’s defensively challenged IMO.

Maybe Kjerstad, McDermott, Beavers, and O’Ferrall? 

10 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

I don’t see Elias trading off prospects anymore at least top guys.  We have moved a few guys in last year and I expect they try to build that back up.  They should have money to use if they want to add talent.  

This what I think happens too.  We'll trade from the FV 40ish tier not the 45 or higher tier.  And I can see dealing from the top ofthe deck (i.e. Mounty, Urias, Kremer*...) to build the ceiling of the pipeljne or weaker/thinner positions. 

*A Kremer based deal would be predicated on an FA SP signing.  I don't see it happening but it's an interesting case study.

10 hours ago, bpilktree67 said:

I don’t see Elias trading off prospects anymore at least top guys.  We have moved a few guys in last year and I expect they try to build that back up.  They should have money to use if they want to add talent.  

I tend to agree with this.  We certainly aren't the best farm system any more and it's time to use Uncle Dave's money some.  I'm in favor of buying the pitching we need.  There are some good FA arms out there.  If there's a bat on another team they want to trade for that's different since the FA position player list isn't good.

33 minutes ago, Ripken said:

He'll go back to pulling pitches and hit 30 HRs there.

Yep.  It’s a perfect park for him. I do feel Mounty has 1 or 2 big years in him. I thought this year would be one of them but no luck there.

That big year may not happen in Camden Yards but I think it happens at some point.

35 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yep.  It’s a perfect park for him. I do feel Mounty has 1 or 2 big years in him. I thought this year would be one of them but no luck there.

That big year may not happen in Camden Yards but I think it happens at some point.

I agree. He’d be a great regular season fit in Cinncy’s ballpark. Maybe that confidence of knowing he can hit the ball out to LF at home covers up his other decencies. 

As for Crochet… can’t we just resign Burnes?  Crochet would probably cost Holliday, Basallo, and Mayo. Didn’t the deadline teach us the cost of pitching?

I’m for trading Mountcastle. I’d hope we can surround the young hitters with a Burnes led staff with adding a vet bat to the DH/1B mix. Other than that, I think we will roll with what we have. And we should. 

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I agree. He’d be a great regular season fit in Cinncy’s ballpark. Maybe that confidence of knowing he can hit the ball out to LF at home covers up his other decencies. 

As for Crochet… can’t we just resign Burnes?  Crochet would probably cost Holliday, Basallo, and Mayo. Didn’t the deadline teach us the cost of pitching?

I’m for trading Mountcastle. I’d hope we can surround the young hitters with a Burnes led staff with adding a vet bat to the DH/1B mix. Other than that, I think we will roll with what we have. And we should. 

No one is trading anything close to that for Crochet.

But I agree..spend money, not prospects.